4.0 out of 5 stars Strangely accessible noise, in German, 1 Mar 2002
E Parry (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Halber Mensch (Audio CD)
Einsturzende Neubauten always manage to surprise with everything they do, and when I first put this on I was definately surprised. Having been a little uncertain at Tabula Rasa, but loved Silence is Sexy, I was aware that this was one of their earlier, more extreme records (In fact Q had recently called it one of the 50 heaviest albums of all time, although I'm not sure I agree). I was expecting to be greeted with grinding noises and loud drumming on junk. The first track however, consists of nothing but a very well constructed and powerful vocal arrangement. This is just an example of how they defy all expectation. The rest of the album features all sorts of breaking glass, sheet metal, crushing bricks, and god knows what, complete with angst-ridden german singing/shouting. Yet while that may put many off, it somehow is made completely accessible. On first buying it I had to stop myself listening to it over and over in the first two or three days in case I over did it and spoiled it for myself. Even the track that is 9 minutes of what sounds like pure noise, Das Schaben (the scraping), is compulsive listening yet you can't figure out why (there is an explanation of sorts in the Haus Der Luege sleeve notes). I can't reccomend this album enough, although you might want to get Silence is Sexy first. They're both incredible albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars Listen with pain,,,,, 27 Nov 2007
Brian Madden "b madden" (ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HALBER MENSCH (Audio CD)
For me this is where things became to take shape and the band began lay the ground work for what lay ahead,

The album opens with title track, Halber Mensch, featuring nothing more than a choir of voices built up each other and is more devastating and unsettling than anything the band has previously recorded.
Yü-Gung (Fütter Mein Ego), still performed live, one of the bands classic singles is a pounding slab of industrial techno that Trent Reznor would love to get his hands on.
Z.N.S is a simple melody built upon finger clicks, scraps of metal and eerie sounds.
From here some songs, such as "Der Tod Ist ein Dandy" start disintegrate into brutal minimal sound scapes, metallic scraping and power tools that the band began known for are pushed to the fore.

Jarring rhythms and Blixa's shrieking voice dominate. "Sehnsucht" is more aggressive than the version that appeared on Kollaps.

Repeated listens and patience are needed to pick out the melodies.

Then out of no where comes "Sand," which is the first obvious influence of
Blixa's position in the Bad Seeds on Neubauten.

If anyone new to the band, seeking one of their more challenging heavier albums this is the perfect place to stay.

4.0 out of 5 stars Strangely accessible noise, in German, 1 Mar 2002
E Parry (UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Fever, 12 Aug 2010
Dr. Delvis Memphistopheles "FIST" (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Halber Mensch (Audio CD)
Choral ecstasy of halber mensch, the half man of modern consumerism, a cascade of showers derived from Blixas feverish vision. Tonal backings it conjures Carl Orff at his most climatic. Across the spectrum of modern hifi it produces a roar of sound.

Yu Gung creates a rhythmic hammer driven pattern, for my ego. Neubauten always look into themselves to explain the outer. Robotic spasms, the flight of the hornet nest and barked german angst-delicious.

Senuscht a song about soul by teutons learning from Detroit. Blixa used to operate a little squatted night club in Yorkstrasse operated by the proverbial shutter. Eye slit at the window once you were in he would cajole you with his disparate musical taste.

Sung in guttural Deutsche with searing sounds wrenched from the Berlin debris derived from the Cold War freeze. Berlin hatched Neubauten in its walled environs, safe from the icy grip of east west tensions. Emerging they were the epitomy of Germanic experimentation at war with the emotional world rather than seeking solace peace and laxity.

5.0 out of 5 stars A favourite of mine, easily, 27 Feb 2008
This review is from: HALBER MENSCH (Audio CD)
'Futter Mein Ego' was the first song I ever heard by EN, and it was love at first listen - I was absolutely knocked back by it, it is so fun! And so 'out there' and I went and bought this album and LOVED it, in fact my copy has a skip in track 3, which is one of my favourites on the whole CD so I'm going to be rebuying it because this is one of those albums I simply can't not have.

1/2 Mensch
1/2 Mensch by Einsturzende Neubauten (Audio CD - 2003)