5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone's problem is fine with me
Published on 18 Feb. 2005 by Josh

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a grower..
On first hearing this album I was shocked - the urban vibes and attitude that define J-Lo have been limited to two f fantastic songs; 'Jenny From The Block', and the bonus track 'I'm Gonna Be Alright', escapees from the 'J To Tha Lo' album.
Published on 10 Jun. 2005 by AyJay

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone's problem is fine with me, 18 Feb. 2005
This review is from: This Is Me...Then (Audio CD)
Most of this album is a dedication to her ex-husband Ben Affleck, but not all of it was. She actually says on the thankyou page(s) this would've been a totally different album, had he not have came into her life, so maybe it would've charted higher. 'This Is Me...Then' only charted at #14 in the UK and spent a rather impressive, for that kind of chart position, 32 weeks on the UK top 100!
My favourites tracks are 'Still,' 'Loving You,' 'I'm Glad,' 'The One,' (both versions) 'Dear Ben,' 'All I Have,' 'Jenny From The Block,' 'You Belong To Me,' 'Baby I Luv U!,' & 'I'm Gonna Be Alright' (Trackmasters Remix). So I have alot of favourites! LOL 11 of the 13 songs are my favourite!
Great album!

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a grower.., 10 Jun. 2005
AyJay (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: This Is Me...Then (Audio CD)
So what are we then left with? Well Jennifer has gone all Faith Hill on us! I had this discarded album dumped in a drawer from when I first bought it on its first day of release. Having since played it a few times I have found a few jems amongst the obvious filler tracks. 'I'm Glad, 'The One' (both versions) and 'All I Have' are enjoyable tracks well worth a listen, while 'Baby I Love U' and 'Still' are both also better then the average.
This smoother, more relaxed style is a change which may disappoint the casual listener, but I'm sure that won't stop the masses from enjoying TIM...T.
Still - 8/10
Loving You - 7/10
I'm Glad - 10/10
The One - 10/10
Dear Ben - 4/10 (Skip this one. Urrgh)
All I Have - 10/10
I'm Gonna Be Alright - 10/10

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Good, 23 July 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: This Is Me...Then (Audio CD)
Somewhat reluctanctly I accepted this C.D from a friend with the promise 'It's great, you'll love it' and when I put it on I was surprised to find it was true. The opening song 'Still' is for me probably one of the srongest tracks on the album.I don't think any of these songs will set the world on fire, but for easy, enjoyable listening you can't go far wrong with this album!

3.0 out of 5 stars J Lo in a soulful groove, 14 Jun. 2004
R. J. Bristow "Rbee" (Beds United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Is Me...Then (Audio CD)
As an older listener who likes 70's and 80's soul I think this is a good album. Not all of the tracks are an ode to Ben and the album has a wonderful soulful feel to it. 'Jenny From The Block' is not to my taste and I agree that 'Dear Ben' is self-indulgent drivel.

Apart from these tracks I find the album very easy to listen to, the opening two song's 'Still' and 'Loving You' would have been big soul hits twenty years ago. 'You Belong To Me' and 'I've Been Thinking' have catchy melodies. A good, soulful album in my opinion and definitely worth adding to your collection.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Mind Boggles, 4 Jun. 2004
V. Ryan (London Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Is Me...Then (Audio CD)
I don't usually do negative reviews, but I find it hard not to when listening to this woman, and looking at the success she gets through awful music, with her awful voice, keeping the real talent out.
Now its going to be easy to slate this short review, but keep this in mind - i am looking at ther music, not her body parts which I am afraid to say are her only asset.
How anyone can buy this album and enjoy it for its musically content is beyond me.
"Jenny from the block" is the worst single I have head in many a year. It is up there with the likes of a "Cheeky Girls" track. "Jenny from the block" was quite rightly put in the top 10 of the worst pop singles of all time on a Channel 4 top 100 list.
"I'm Glad" is soppy, well produced but damn right awful - why? because Jennifer Lopez cannot sing.
English talent such as Terri Walker and Beverley Knight can sing. But they are not movie starts who have big budgets to make major videos and marry movie stars.
Jennifer Lopez is a fraud - her voice on "Baby I love U" is nothing short of a joke. When listening to it, I thought someone was having me on. What makes it worse is I believe a good vocalist could really do something with this well written track.
Why is she called rnb? Rythem & Blues is what it stands for. She has money so she can do what she wants.
But as a soul music fan this album, her voice, and her ego makes me wonder how on earth she has the success in the music business she does.

1.0 out of 5 stars This Is Me Then... I hope So, 7 Dec. 2002
"gazermazer" (Phoenix, Az United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Is Me...Then (Audio CD)
This new album is nothing more but a dedication to the love of her life Ben Affleck. Practically the whole album is composed of ballads which sound a little bit from an amateur side. The only good tracks are "Jenny From The Block" and "All I Have". Which are the more upbeat tracks. Truly, she is not a Mariah Carey or a Whitney Houston, but doing ballads? C'mon, she has to draw the line somewhere. This album does not do her justice at all. "This Is Me Then..." I Hope So.

3.0 out of 5 stars This is her then,Go back to tha J:lo Dayz!, 8 Jan. 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: This Is Me...Then (Audio CD)
Havin liking her (Despite lack of vocal ability)Since "if you had my love" come out in '99 i thought her voice would get better....Sadly it hasnt.
On The 6 Lauched Jenny as a Latin pop star her big hitter "if you had my love" went straight to #1 in the U.S & was in the top 5 in the U.K also featuring the club bangers "Waitin' for 2nite" & "Feelin' So Good"
J:Lo Put her back at the top in '01 When she released "Love Don't Cost A Thing" Which landed her another #1 hit in the U.S & U.K Also on the record was I'm Real,Play & Aint It Funny (Original Version)
Jennifer had a few remixes floatin around the airwaves of I'm Real Aint it funny & im gonna be alrite So in '02 She released
J to tha L-O Which won her r'n'b fans back with appearances from
Nas,50 Cent,Fat Joe,P.Diddy,Darkchild,Ashanti & Ja Rule she was put back on the map
However Late '02 Unearthed her worst work to date This is me..then
Obvisously fans were gonna Keep her sales from droppin'
She managed to lift 4 tracks from it Jenny from the block (Biggest hit from this album) All I Have,Im Glad (My personal Favourite) & the U.S only track the One Version 2
Don't get me wrong shes not the best singer in the world but she has the catchest beats the annoyin lyrics that stick in your head so you end up likin' her
Here is a track by track rating of her new album
1.The One/Sounds like a slowed down version of I'm glad either way is alrite 6/10
2.Loving you/Another artist thats used the "Juicy Fruits" sample Faith Evans(Faithfully)Alicia Keys(Juiciest)It's not that good but cos of the beat i like it a little more 8/10
3.I'm Glad/My Favourite song on the album its sweet good beat good lyrics 9/10
4.Still/Its alrite not the best work shes ever done 4/10
5.Dear Ben/Its sweet but i dont like it Making songs for ur children is fine but A song for Ben Affleck come on! 2/10
6.l I Have Featuring LL Cool J/This was a suprisingly big hit over here Its alrite but it got too much air play so it got ruined 7/10
7.Jenny From The Block/Ummm now this was a great song but it got boring very quick 6/10
8.Again/Nice Piano solo but i dont like this 3/10
9.You Belong To Me/Carly Simon Remake its alrite nice upbeat song 7/10
10.I've Been Thinkin'/Nah i dont like this i played it once 2/10
11.Baby I Love U/Urgh another soppy ballad i dont like this either 2/10
12.The One Version 2/I like this i prefer this one better 8/10
****Bonus Track****
13.I'm Gonna Be Alright (Remix Featuring Nas)/My Favourite Song of hers Nas is so good 10/10
So Overall Jenny aint that bad wen i comes down to it but shes just lackin the stayin power
But anyhow shes Unexpectally Sucessful but i really think she should go back to her "J:Lo" dayz

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a good album to be honest..., 5 Nov. 2003
This review is from: This Is Me...Then (Audio CD)
I bought J-Los "this is me...then" because I really like some of her earlier stuff such as "play" "love don't cost a thing" and "I'm real". I thought her third album would be similar..but quite frankly it ain't. It's pretty poor to be honest,although there are a few nice songs,but that's about as far as it goes; nice. The first three songs in my opinion are very alike. "Still" "Loving you" and "I'm glad"(which has been released) all have the same message and the beat. I have to admit they are ok and are listenable,but from a multi-millionaire,you would expect loads better. There are also a few very slushy songs what again,sound alike. "The One" and "Dear Ben", wrote by Jennifer herself,show how incapable she is of writing decent songs.Ok,ok, they are cute and all lovey-dovey,and I have to admit i dont mind a good love ballad in fact I quite like them,but J-lo love,you should stick to your pop - dancey songs. Now fair enough the next song "All I have" I actually really like.It's very catchy and has a christmassy feel to it.It also makes miss lopez's voice sound reasonably good. After that of course is "Jenny from the Block", which is annoyingly catchy,with an irritating chorus.The tune itself is good,but the lyrics quite frankly show how much jennifer thinks of herself. Claiming how she's "still from the block", even though she lives a million miles away and probably hasn't stepped foot there since the day she left. Still,the song is quite good.
Again,we have a repeat of earlier: Three songs all sounding quite alike with roughly the same message. "Again" "Been Thinkin'" and "baby I love you" are all slushy love songs with the same beat and same lyrics. "Baby I love you" is the best out of a bad bunch. It has a catchy tune and I sometimes find myself singing it,much to my embarassment. Next is a second version of "the One" slightly better with a better tune, although it does sound quite like "Dilemma" by Kelly Rowland. Lastly, is the best track on the whole album,which funnily enough,is the reason i bought the album. "I'm gonna be alright" is a great RnB tune with a really good beat and quite good lyrics.See,I'm not all doom 'n' gloom!
All in all though, sorry to be a spoilt sport jenny,this album is to put it bluntly: Crap.

3.0 out of 5 stars not the best, 22 Sept. 2006
S. Firth (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Is Me...Then (Audio CD)
3 stars because a few of the songs on this album are really good. but it was released at the time of her 'bennifer' relationship with mr affleck and that was disaster enough.

the album is a bit lovey dovey and the 'ben' song makes me gag a bit, and must be embarrassing for both of them now. and in the album cover she wears real fur!!! which is one of the negatives about j.lo! other than that i'm a big fan.

the album though - it's not her best effort but it passes - just.

1.0 out of 5 stars Jennifer, you became really boring, 19 Oct. 2003
This review is from: This Is Me...Then (Audio CD)
I liked some of her old songs (like Waiting 4 tonight, Ain't it funny) but this album is awful.
Looks like she forgot that she has absolutely no singing talent. She is ok when she is singing fast pop/latino songs, but ballads?!?
All the songs sound alike- some of them are not so bad (still, loving u, the one), but the others (dear ben, jenny from the block, i've been thinking, baby i love you) are some of the worst songs i have heard this year. Sorry J.Lo, your time is up!

This Is Me...Then
This Is Me...Then by Jennifer Lopez (Audio CD - 2004)