Format: DVD|Change

on 1 March 2006
I am a massive fan of the original Rollerball and yet when I saw the trailer for the new one at the cinema I was very excited. Sadly after 10 minutes watching it my joy was turned to one of bitter disapointment for it was not worth the entrance fee. The actors were all miscast, the performances poor, the action laughable and the storyline boring. Who thought that it would be a good idea to put LL Cool J into the movie anyway? I found him to be more irritating than entertaining and I had to confess that I have never watched the movie all the way through simply because I found I had better things to do with my time. A waste of a classic film license.
on 23 May 2003
Were can I start its going to be hard to review this film without swearing but I'll try......
As a fan of the original I was quite looking forward to this film, when it came out it received poor reviews so I never bothered getting it, however after a good few months I did decide to get it, the original is one of the most powerful films I have seen and is certainly in my top 10, this is by far the worst film I have ever seen in my life. The arena has been modernized and now resembles a circus ring rather than a sports arena, the players are like WWF characters and the action is just lame.
Motorbikes are still a factor however they serve no purpose, the scoring mechanism looks like they have made a prequel rather than a sequel. Chris Klein (a Keanu Reeves wannabe it seems) is the worst actor in the world, he portrays a real soft geezer, a wet fart so to speak and at one point when he was referred to as "The angriest man in the game" I nearly choked to death... Maybe that would have been a good thing as I would not have been able to see the rest of the film.....
The story is pants, the action is superficial, and acting is terrible, the editing (especially the sound) is the worst ever... It is an embarrassment to the word Rollerball, the only good thing to came out of it is REBECCA ROMIJN-STAMOS however that just does not make up for it unfortunately.
Don’t buy, however if you want to be able to tell your mates that you have seen the worst ever film in the history of man, then rent it, and if you haven’t seen the original, then buy that, its a must see film........ sooo disappointed
on 27 June 2013
I can't remember the last time I thought a film was so bad I turned it off but Rollerball had me reaching for the remote after I had endured 45 painful minutes. The 1970s original, although not a classic, is certainly a well-made film. It has a good cast, especially James Caan, and a credible dystopian script. The three Rollerball matches/action sequences are exceptional.

This remake jettisons anything approaching a coherent plot, has a script that is moronic, is full of gratuitous shots of topless woman (working out in a gym with your kit off, for example!) and an appalling rock soundtrack. Remember the Bach from the original? The only thing that could have potentially saved it was the Rollerball matches - but these are on a much smaller circuit, make no sense and have even less excitement about them.

Usually my attitude in reviews is to suggest other Amazon viewers make up their own minds. But in this case I recommend you do not bother with this film. See the original instead. And to think this is the work of the director who once brought us Die Hard! (Though admittedly I did read that the film was extensively recut without his permission.) Dreadful...
on 9 January 2004
Very disappointed. The original was a classic and the actual match scenes were superb. This remake is dreadful. The arena is absolutely rubbish and everything becomes too cluttered on screen to actually see what is happening. The kernel of the story was OK and if they had used the original set then it might have worked. However, this was very, very poor. Don't bother, just watch the original again!
on 23 February 2004
The original must be rated a classic. This was so bad I almost gave up watching it. There are considerably better B movies.
on 22 August 2010
I collect bad (so bad they are good!!) sci fi films but this is dire rubbish. Avoid.
on 29 May 2015
As anyone who has seen the original knows, one of the characters is badly injured - made brain dead - in one of the 'games'. Another character refuses to authorise switching off their life support... and this pays tribute to the original by having a script that looks and sounds like it was written while in a coma.

To give just one example, at an early stage of production, the makers of the original worked out how the game would be played: the result was it made sense. In the remake, the game is a bunch of 'wouldn't it be neat if?' ideas that don't. No-one could ever play this version of the game and the actors are as baffled as we are.

Why would you want to watch it?
on 15 March 2013
A pale reflection of the original with rather confused action sequences and weak acting. I usually love Jean Reno but here I didn't really get his part. Could do better. And the action rink ? Give me a break. Far too complicated and confusing compared to the spare elegance of the original
on 29 April 2016
Is it as good as the origional? By the way the films are presented it is not feasiable to judge one against the other. Similer storyline but made in two very different decades to be judged against each other. However having said that it is an enjoyable enough film to keep you entertained.
VINE VOICEon 16 April 2008
Lots of blood and totally awful steer well clear, why did Jean Reno make this appalling film.

If it had the original sound track ie Bolero it may have been worth 1 point, maybe Amazon could do a 0 star as this is certainly worth that.