5.0 out of 5 stars Insatiable, Can't Get Enough of this album!!!
Published on 19 Mar 2002 by L. Byrne

2.0 out of 5 stars Below Par
Its not terrible, but when you compare this to Darren's latest effort - The Tension & The Spark, or to most of Savage Garden's material, its pretty weak. This was done at a time when Darren was receiving pressure from his record company on how his material should sound, and this shows. Darren has admitted this himself. Still worth getting for Insatiable, Strange...
Published on 9 Jan 2007 by M. A. Burton

5.0 out of 5 stars Insatiable, Can't Get Enough of this album!!!, 19 Mar 2002
This review is from: Spin (Audio CD)
This is such an amazing development from ex- Savage Garden star Darren Hayes. He's moved into a more mature, sexual, electronic r&b style, and it suits! His unbelievable falsetto vocals against the raw electronic sound are a total contradiction which still manage to pull together to form one of the best albumns of this year. It is not merely a follow on from Savage Garden, he has truly made his own music and it is superb! This record will not only be loved by all Savage Garden fans, but will undoubtedly convert many many more to Darren's unique talent.

5.0 out of 5 stars A CD worth a "SPIN"!!!!!, 7 April 2002
J. M. Smekar (Michigan, United States) - See all my reviews
THE BEST THING!!
Some songs fit more than one category - I have broken them down as follows:
For those in love: Insatiable, I Miss You, I Cant Ever Get Enough of You
For those longing for love again after a break up: Like It or Not, The Heart Wants What It Wants, I Miss You
For those who have had relationships gone bad: Strange Relationship, Heart Attack
Songs with meaning (social commentary, etc): Spin, Good Enough
To make you go on the dance floor and dance for a long time: Crush, Creeping up on You, What You Like
For a long romantic night: Insatiable, Dirty, What You Like
I have listened a great deal to the cd before breaking the songs into categories. Darren truly writes so brilliantly for all people no matter what situations you have had in your life, there is a song on the record that fits it in some way. I know that the "Affirmation" album had more songs about relationships gone bad (Hold Me, The Lover After Me, I Don't Know You Anymore and songs with social commentary/meaning (Crash & Burn, Affirmation). I can tell Darren has grown as a songwriter since the release of Affirmation, and I am sure his interactions with his family, friends, and fans certainly influenced the SPIN cd a great deal. I am sure all of them will be a great influence on future work he does.
When I was listening to the cd, I can tell that he was influenced by many great performers of the past. No other singer's voice can influence me or my moods the way Darren's does. I am sure if you put on cd of any of the following after listening to Darren's SPIN - you can make a comparison but Darren certainly does have a voice of angel that is all his own too. I am sure that people like Bono, Smokey Robinson, Prince, and Michael Jackson would be flattered that a young artist like Darren is being compared to them in terms of vocal quality and song writing quality. And if Marvin Gaye was still alive, I am sure he would be flattered as well.
I have to say this cd will have a proud place in my collection among my many cds and will be heavily played for years to come.... I highly recommend it - it was worth the wait to hear the Voice of An Angel with a sexy & sultry sound ALL HIS OWN!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I've been 'Spun' - over and over again!!!! Excellent!!, 19 July 2002
This review is from: Spin (Audio CD)
I don't think I have ever in my life listened to a cd as often as I have done this one. My musical tastes keep changing and frankly I hadn't really listened to Savage Garden stuff in the past (I do now!). However, every track on here is a winner -some more gripping than others, but it isn't often that you can buy an album and not eventually skip at least two tracks on it -you won't want to skip any on this one.
'Insatiable' is going to be a classic - its just how everyone wants to feel in a relationship. It is sooooo sexy and it was an obvious single. 'Strange Relationship' is a good follow up - but my faves might be 'Good Enough' and 'What you Like'- a real feel good track. But every track has intelligent lyrics, some obviously personal, others less so and although Darren says he has only used electronic gizmos rather than 'instruments' that shouldn't be held against him here - it works and having heard him sing the songs live with his band you just know NONE of it is fake (unlike some other solo artists remaining nameless).
Something about Darren Hayes' terrific voice just makes you want to sing along with him somehow, and I now understand why he has just about the most devoted set of fans in the world. I want to tell everyone to buy this, listen to it a few times, hear the words, let yourself go and then give an honest response. Its not just for girls either (though we may be in the majority) - boys take note and learn from Darren Hayes! He can press all the right buttons!

5.0 out of 5 stars When The Music Feels Like This......, 3 Feb 2003
This review is from: Spin (Audio CD)
Darren Hayes returns after the success of the band Savage Garden. Darren works with Walter Afanasieff, Greg Biek, Robert Conley and most importantly Rick Nowels. Spin is very different to SG's music but still very much the same. It's a fun, romantic, funky record. If the Moulin Rouge was a record, this would be it. The opening track Strange Relationship kicks in with strings. This skillfully written song expresses a complicated love affair and is one of my favourite songs. The sexy romantic Insatiable follows where Darren gets to "show off" his outstanding vocal abillity. The beautifuly written lyrics make this one of the best songs on the album, Insatiable is a magic song. Straight after that you get hit with the funky beats of Heart Attack. Some people after hearing this song have compared Darren to Michael Jackson. Its one of the funkiest songs on the album. I Miss You is a simple but beautilful ballad. The meaning of it is when you just love somebody so much you miss them all the time - when they leave the room - you want to follow them. This song reminds me of the savage garden hit I Knew I Loved You and reminds me how brilliant Darren is at wrtiting truthfull simple, beautifull love ballads. Creepin' Up On You is probably one of my favourite up-tempo songs off the album. It's extrememly catchy chorus will have you singing it all day. it's another pukka song! Dirty! is not Darrens attempt at covering a Christina A song, but instead he delivers a funky, sexy, DIRTY song! Another pop-tastic song. Crush (1980 ME) is a pop treat! Descibing Darrens favourite year - 1983. It opens: "Cyndi Lauper, Jackson, Simon Le Bon, I put Eurythmics on". This catchy little tune is irressitable and one of the best songs off of Spin. You wont be able to help yourself from joining in on the chorus.... "Gotta little Crush, ooooh I just cant get enough of that stuff, such a rush....." I cant ever get enough of you is another simple yet beautifull ballads from Darren but wouldnt make my top 5 songs off of the album. Good Enough is a song which everyone can relate to. Darren just states that because he's different or just "not perfect" - could he be good enough - which I think everyone asks themselves sometimes.Also Darrens voice at the and will wow your socks off - how does he sing that great? Just because you dont fit the typical stererotype doesnt mean your not good enough is what I think Darren is saying in this song. The intro to Like It Or Not always gets me crying - its just something about the mood of the song which is very meloncholy but true.Its about losing someone and not knowing how much they meant to you but knowing that you can never get them back again. Another skilled song from Darren. What You Like is a funky love song - not my favourite at first but now it has grown on me and I really like this song. Last but not least Spin! This is one of my favourite songs. Darren sings about the importance of music today and shows how this album is a celebration of music. Current affairs are in this song but the chorus : "when the music feels like this, when you lose control you gotta go with it, 10 feet hight flying above the sky, your problems dont exsist , when music feels like this. This funky brilliant produced song is the perfect song to end the album with.Perfecr pop but with a true meaning. It leaves you feeling happy and in love with music, particulary Darrens.

5.0 out of 5 stars MY SECOND SPIN ALBUM!!!!, 9 Nov 2002
This review is from: Spin (Audio CD)
This is my second SPIN album, I have bought the original version that is without the 2nd cd. on MAY 2002, and the songs are still SPINNING in my head!! I did not hesitate to buy this OZ version, as it includes 5 fantastic unplugged performance in Taipei. Darren is sure a strong performer, his voice is ever fantastic in live performances. the live tracks are: DIRTY, INSATIABLE, STRANGE RELATIONSHIP, I MISS YOU, GOOD ENOUGH.,
all songs are brilliantly rearranged!
On the whole album, this is DARREN's much relax and laid-back type of music, something different from his songs at his SAVAGE GARDEN days. He has used some MIDI-system music, but you can feel heart and soul has been injected into these machines!! Some songs are quite SEXY such as INSATIABLE, songs that bring sweetness to ones heart are LIKE IT OR NOT, I MISS YOU, GOOD ENOUGH, songs that can feel anger HEART ATTACK, STRANGE RELATIONSHIP, songs to dance to CRUSH, CREEPING UP ON YOU, songs that feel 'wicked' DIRTY, mind you this is not Christina Aguilera's dirrrty. DARREN has this'DIRTY' first.
This cd also comes with a special slip in paper package, that has listed the AUSTRALIAN Tour dates. His third UK edition SPIN will be out soon, and I will also without hesitation buy it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, brilliant, awesome, wonderful, SPIN!!, 13 May 2002
C. Wakelin (Kettering, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spin (Audio CD)
I bought this album on the strength of two or three times listening to the single Insatiable; something I have never done before. I was a little worried that I wouldn't like any of the songs on the album, but I needn't have been. Spin is never off my CD player now and I have bought 3 copies so that I have one upstairs, downstairs and in the car!!
The songs are a real mixture of pace, with several up tempo songs, Heart Attack, Dirty, Spin - how can you sing those lyrics so fast Darren? - and slower ballads like Insatiable, Good Enough, I Miss You. Darren sings them all brilliantly - his vocal range is amazing.
These are songs where you can, and should, listen to the words, which can be beautiful, passionate, sexy, angry etc. I wasn't a Savage garden fan but I understand this is Darren's usual way with lyrics - they always tell a story.
I adore this album and can't wait for his next offering. You will too!

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME - will put you in a SPIN !!!!!, 24 Mar 2002
This review is from: Spin (Audio CD)
Having long awaited for this CD it has met upto all my expectations. Not only do most of the songs have an instant impact some songs that I was not keen on at the start I now love. "I MISS YOU" is the most BEAUUUUTiful love song ever. It evokes memories of that indescribable feeling of first love. "Heart Attack" is a funky upbeat number which is reminiscent of Michael Jackson in the 1980's.There are little "tweeks" of gothic in some of the tunes and it all combines to be "Insatiable". "Good Enough" is a very honest and candid song about low self esteem and the questioning we all go through but we never believe our idol's do. In conclusion I would say that this CD is going to be a classic and and is absolute nectar to mind, body and soul.
That is SPIN !

4.0 out of 5 stars Spin it, 29 Jun 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Spin: Repackaged (Audio CD)
For me as a musician & songwriter, it is in fact the 2nd disc with live tracks on that is the highlight - contrary to other reviewers thoughts. The live tracks just prove what a superb artist Darren is. With all the studio gloss stripped away & just piano, bass, percussion and backing vocals behind him (musicians are incidentally excellent), the songs come across brilliantly and feel much more authentic and skilful. I particularly like the live version of "Good Enough" which is a far better version than the album track - which just doesn't do it for me.
Don't get me wrong - the main disc (studio) is a good CD and very listenable, with superb production from amongst others Walter Afanasieff (Mariah Carey, Celine Dion etc). It just lacks a bit of character compared with the emotion and atmosphere conveyed through the live tracks. An artist truly makes it for me when they can cut it live - and Darren Hayes definitely can!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine Effort, 27 Oct 2004
Carmelo (Bristol, AVON United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spin: Repackaged (Audio CD)
There are two words that sum up this album; crisp and clean. It is a collection of on face value, ordinary tracks that have been over played. However, listen to this well constructed record and your opinion is sure to change; mine did!!
You may even like this album if you weren't a savage garden fan!! Its that good. Hayes has always had an excellent voice and his raw talent is an explicit as I have heard on this record.
The highlights on this album are the single "Insatiable", "Crush (1980 ME)" and "Heart Attack". Each of these tracks as indeed the rest of the album have their own flavour and suit most moods.
This is a must buy album; which I hasten to add I do not say lightly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Savage Garden lives on!, Enter Darren Hayes, 1 April 2002
Mr. G. Bentley (N.Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spin (Audio CD)
With the ending on an era in late 2001, Savage Garden left us all. I was unsure whether Darren Hayes could hold his own, but I was amazed by his new album 'Spin'. If you loved Savage Garden you will not be disappointed by Spin. It is a great pop album with songs to fit every mood. I can't say as I dislike any of the songs on the Album. This album will surely launch Darren on his way to Stardom as an independant artist. What more can I say, go and buy Spin, you won't be disappointed.

Spin: Repackaged
Spin: Repackaged by Darren Hayes (Audio CD - 2002)