4.0 out of 5 stars A perfect souvenir of a perfect love story, 26 Feb 2003
This review is from: Punch-Drunk Love (Audio CD)
"Punch Drunk Love" is simply one of the best romantic comedies ever made. Some say it's quirky and bizarre, but in fact I find it much more real (because life is indeed quirky and bizarre) than any Sandra Bullock glossy vehicle. So I fell in love with PT Anderson's new opus and I felt the music, by Jon Brion, was perfect, shifting styles between the crazy, almost abstract percussive and electronic sounds that illustrate the messy mind of Adam Sandler's character before he meets Emily Watson and the lush, beautiful and very old school sweeping and romantic orchestral pieces that underscore the pure love story between the two characters. It's a wonderful album, undermined by the fact that there's a sticker in the cover saying "includes the video for Here We Go directed by Paul Thomas Anderson" (this is, supposedly, an enhanced CD) and I simply can't find the thing. Is it me or did they actually forgot to include the video?

5.0 out of 5 stars ...So Here We Go, 12 Aug 2003
This review is from: Punch-Drunk Love (Audio CD)
Strange... Cartoon-sounding... Eerie... Beautiful... These are the words that come to mind when I listen to the score to one of my new favourite films, "Punch-Drunk Love." Composed by Jon Brion, this beautifully haunting score gets in your head and stays there (just like the movie). You pretty much feel a party of emotions when you pop this baby in.
While it can be very melodic and soothing at times, it can also get tense and rapid. A lot of the tunes on the score appear to be influenced by the song "he needs me," which was originally from the "Popeye" movie and was performed by Shelly Duvall. (The original song appears on the soundtrack as well). And you really get the feeling that you're watching some sort of cartoon when you play the CD. How strange I'd like something like this, but that's thanks to loving the movie so much.
My favourite tracks are "overture," "tabla," "punch-drunk melody," "he needs me," "hands & feet," "blossoms & blood," "here we go," "le petit chateau," hospital," and "third floor hallway." That's the majority of the album, but those are the songs I listen to the most. I really love Jon Brion's "here we go," mostly because the lyrics really seem to hit home with me. All 17 tracks are a complete joy to listen to.
If you're a big fan of the film and you love a good film score, put "Punch-Drunk Love" on your list. This is a score that I can never get tired of. I'm glad that I have it in my CD collection and it is a frequent visitor in my stereo, I must admit.

Punch-Drunk Love
Punch-Drunk Love by Jon Brion (Audio CD - 2003)