Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Audio CDChange

on 29 August 2009
DANIEL BAREMBOIM: Live from the Teatro Colòn 2000 -

A joyful Anniversary.

The Teatro Colòn of Buenos Aires, Daniel Barenboim and myself, are compatriots.
Quite a very long time ago, I had a long, wonderful and fruitful relationship with the splendid theatre but I never met Daniel Baremboim. Due the opposite climates between our and European seasons, during torrid August, all artists, best known orchestra directors, different opera ensembles like the German, Italian , French etc. came to play at the Colòn for the happiness of the enormous amount of classical music adepts, to enjoy the soft winter and, by pure chance, a rare and temporary economical successful period.
I was a young student then and I made every possible sacrifice, with the passion of that age, not to loose even one representation. I was as lucky as to listen to Fritz Bush directing Tristan-with Lauritz Melchior- and The Ring cycle with The Berlin Philarmonic and Erich Kleiber , and the Vienna Philarmonic in all Mozart and Strauss Operas, Toscanini, with Verdi and Puccini, Arthur Rubinstein, The Lerner Quartet, Kirsten Flagstadt, etc.etc.
Of course today, dream-like situations like these are impossible. I have read that local artists -not bad at all- continue to maintain the Colòn still alive.( But they are not payed. )Also thanks to some visits from our own musical glories: Martha Argerich, Bruno Gelman, Astor Piazzolla and also Daniel Baremboim in the occasion of this anniversary . (Alas, Jorge Luis Borges and Diego Maradona have no relation with this theatre!)
I was looking forward to receive this CD. Baremboim started playing Mozart's Sonata K330 at a remarkable speed I could not approve. Beethoven's "Apassionata" op57 was passionate but slightly confused as in a certain hurry. With Albeniz he was himself, and still then ,including the encores, I did not appreciate the mixtures of styles that the pianist commented, being happy to have been authentic , playing just what he wanted to. (Scarlatti-Schubert-Schumann-Chopin-Josè Resta- Ginastera-Villa Lobos ) I found the result was hectic and after all, the whole concert was not a pleasure FOR ME.
I think Daniel Baremboim is a better conductor (specially of Wagner whom he adores) , than a writer about music or about himself and his ideals......and also than a pianist.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse