5.0 out of 5 stars Precious - indeed it is!, 5 Dec. 2002
This review is from: Precious (Audio CD)
Ours are a band that many of us Brits have never heard of. They're well worth seeking out if you are a Jeff Buckley fan, but they do stand on their own feet, musically. If anything, Jimmy Gnecco has vocal skills superior to Buckley and that's no mean feat! He can and often does go from a velvety depth to a screaming falsetto in an instant.
So what does this CD have to offer other than a lead singer with the voice of an angel? Plenty, actually. Lyrically, it's melancholy, cathartic but uplifting. Musically they are varied - their live set includes the odd cover version - this could be anybody from Roy Orbison to the The Cure and even Queen. And unlike many bands, they can do the originals real justice with their own unique take on the songs.
We start Precious with the wonderfully titled 'Kill The Band'. There's a very elegant cover of 'Femme Fatale' about halfway through the album. And we end with my favourite off the whole album, 'Red Colured Stars'. In between, other stand out tracks are 'In A Minute', 'Disaster In A Halo' and the lovely 'If Flowers Turn'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond words to describe the heights of excellence - I do not lie., 27 Jan. 2007
Glen M. Grefe "Glen Grefe" (Shreveport) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Precious (Audio CD)
This album is so genius I sincerely do not know how to sum it up. Jimmy Gnecco is a daring courageous vocalist who give 100 and a zillion percent in every song, belting out beautiful soaring lyrics like some gifted Pied Piper. The songs Leaves and Broken consistently have me singing along, and leave me with TEARS in my eyes. I am not the wimpy type that this happens to at the drop of hat, so to speak - this is powerful stuff and I would wager VERY HIGHLY that these songs may have the same effect on you. And that is from the unbelievable truth that this man has gone to put himself out on a limb - to reach notes I have never heard in over 25 years of listening to rock music. Jeff Buckley aside, I should find it an HONOR if OURS finds themselves on a tour in my area someday (Asheville, NC_). And no, I don't know the band personally at all. Get this album at all costs. It has made my top ten of the albums I would have if I was marooned on a deserted island.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally the search is over !, 9 Mar. 2003
This review is from: Precious (Audio CD)
Have owned this album for a matter of h-ours and have listened to it back to back since i got it home....Its awesome.
Unkown in the uk and by me until i recently read about them in an american guitar mag.Ill be honest im a HUGE JEFF BUCKLEY fanatic and the same goes for led zepplin...Ever since discovering Jeff i have been searching for a band / artist to kind of fill the gap left by jeff when he died...no mean feat.
I have come across artists like michael grech, aqualung etc who all came close but no where near jeff in all fairness..Then i discover "Ours"...wow wow and wow...Ok...yes he does sing a bit like jeff and has a very similar vocal range but as another reviewer stated these guys stand alone ...they rock and they are very very exciting..Very tortured and melancholic ( Just what i like)...and thankfully the musicianship is on a par with the playing to be found anywhere on buckleys "Grace"..Standout track for me at the moment has to be "Broken" with its zepplin esque keyboard and what sounds like an ebow intro very "grace" like also? that then unfolds into jimmy gnecco showing us what a vocal range is all about ..( actually this songs intro screams "Halleluhah")...He positively rips his tonsils out on this one putting buckley and robert plant to shame..
But this album holds more with some more melodic up tempo numbers too "in a minute" being another standout track...In places i cant help thinking it has a bit of a "Divine Comedy" feel about it...i may be wrong here but some of the melodies bring this to mind? dont let that put you off...this is already my fave album of a long long time and i will now buy the previous album and will be looking at the OURS excellent web site to find out if and when they are playing the uk...one definately not to be missed..
Ok..AUDIOSLAVE have given us a new zepplin
OURS are doing a fine job of being Jeff Buckleys dream brothers.

Precious
Precious by Ours (Audio CD - 2002)