5.0 out of 5 stars Clapton at his best
Of all the DVDs of Clapton performances, this one captures him at his best, in concert in LA with Steve Gadd providing driving rhythms on drums and Billy Preston pounding out chords on the Hammond, Andy Fairweather-Lowe on rhythm guitar and David Sambourne on keyboard and synth sax.
Published on 30 Sep 2003

2.0 out of 5 stars Utterly superflous
I've always been a fan of Eric Clapton's music, and I've always enjoyed his live recordings, but this one was an utter disappointment.

Disc one is the worst, consisting of a mixture of older songs (such as a reasonably good, acoustic and quite Bill Broonzy-esque rendition of "Key To The Highway"), and long, tedious versions of newer material like "My Father's...
Published on 16 Nov 2002 by Docendo Discimus

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Clapton at his best, 30 Sep 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: One More Car, One More Rider - Dvd [2002] [Region 1] [NTSC] (DVD)
The performance is electrifying throughout, covering old and new classics with new arrangements for the group that are stunning. If you don't end up dancing round the room you must have feet of clay!
The DTS soundtrack is amazing in 5.1 channel surround sound, capturing the audience response and ambient sound in a completely natural way. This is backed by high clarity camera work.
All-in-all a real tour-de-force of a DVD that is not to be missed, whether you are a Clapton fan or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars polished and professional, 18 Jan 2004
By A Customer
I should start by saying that I caught EC at Birmingham NEC on the UK leg of this tour and was amazed at the sound quality and mix and I'm glad to say that both have been impeccably transfered to this disc. the camera work and video editing is also of a highly professional standard and gives you more of an insight into what's going on on stage. I had considered bying the CD when it was first released but I'm glad I held out for the DVD version.
Mr/Lord/God/Sir(?) Clapton is on top form as you would expect but the band are cooking, and what a line up.
Steve Gadd on drums is Solid and dependable throughout as is Nathan East on bass, continuously smiling, obviously enjoying himself. David Sancsious on keys and synthesised wind instruments adds a bit of polish and is a wonder to watch, whilst sitting opposite him on the other side of the stage is none other than the legend of Billy Preston. A wizard on the Hammond organ but he comes alive during the encore as he takes centre stage for "will it go round in circles", the impromptu little dance from this r'n'b veteran would put many of todays young wannabeees to shame.
Last, and by no means least is my fellow Welshman, Andy Farweather-Low. I must point out that sitting half way back in the NEC I didn't get to see what he was up to, but close up on the DVD I was impressed and surprised at the amount of work the man puts in. To call him the rythmn guitarist is not doing him justice. He more than adequately steps in and fills out when Eric is taking a lead vocal for example.
The set list has all the old favourites plus a fine selection from EC's later output, but I remember the NEC and how the parting song "Somewhere over the rainbow" brought tears to my eyes and I must say that the DVD version revoked the same emotions. Superb. A must for all true music lovers. Everywhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars bluesman comes home, 17 May 2003
I. Carstairs (Hitchin, Herts United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I just bought this DVD and I have to say I was impressed. It's true you can find Eric Clapton's more highly charged blues performances elsewhere, but that might be to miss the point of this collection.
The film quality is excellent, for a start, which is more than you can say for some of the video recordings I bought in the past. Rather than a barrage of image and hype, beloved by those who prefer to be told what to think and feel, the atmosphere is restrained and intimate, which means one is free to observe. Maybe this is more challenging, but there's still a lot to see. For a guitarist, it's a real pleasure to be able to see even the settings on the Vibro Kings and watch up close the fingerings and voicings on the guitar. Nothing is left out.. the guys play their stuff and you take it all in.. I really thought it was beautiful.
For example, I was curious as to how his version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow would come out. The answer is that because he's a real musician, someone who really did devote their life to their craft through better or worse, he can't go wrong.. it doesn't sound like something short of Judy Garland or Eva Cassidy, it comes out with his personality streaked through it. And it shows he could play anything he wanted to, any kind of music, and it would still be fresh. He's not pinned to any one style, he has his own, and somehow it works no matter what.
This is a subtle, impressive collection, and I really enjoyed it. If you'd like to feel that someone as dedicated as Clapton really did think the long journey was all worthwhile, have a listen to it. It has a reassuring peace about it, and that isn't how too many such careers end up, which gives it a certain authority as well.
It may not be for everyone, but I guarantee that if you feel it's not wild or hard enough, listen again in a few years, and you may find there's a band of emotion in it which finds resonance in a deeper maturity. This is the music of someone who might have lived a difficult life, but who put their feelings into music, not for a quick buck, but because that was the way their soul worked. So to see him come through the traumas that produced "Layla" and "Tears in Heaven" and edge towards the end of such a career and still play fine, thoughtful, powerful and moving music is a triumph one feels happy to partake in. It's not just a musical triumph, but one for the soul as well. Amidst all the bloated, greedy, crass and mindless trauma of modern "music", I think this is one recording genuinely worth having.

5.0 out of 5 stars EC at his best!!, 28 Feb 2006
If you only have one Clapton DVD this should be it,a really good mix of old and new,brilliantly filmed and recorded.Great sound with EC at his very best both on electric and acoustic.I am a big Clapton fan and this is the next big thing to seeing him perform live.Just hope they put the 2004 tour on DVD as well!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Clapton as always.. amazing live!, 8 Feb 2006
J. Bawn "jamiebawn" (England) - See all my reviews
Absolutely outstanding. Think the Acoustic set is best ive seen from Eric and his tight band. Love Tears in Heaven, Key to the Highway and Change the World (one of my fav all time songs). When he goes electric, his guitar skills shine as never before. Particularly love what hes done to some of the slightly bland songs from Pilgrim, especially his fiery guitar work on Shes Gone. The only downer, not the best versions of Cocaine (guitar work pretty lame on this one) and this version of Layla not his best. If you doubt he lost his rocky edge guitar playing though look at the version of Cocaine on The Crossroads Festival DVD. This is the best version of Cocaine with best guitar work ever. But back to this DVD, not his best performance, but still brilliant. I saw him on this tour. I also saw him in 2004, when his guitar work really was on fire as was his performance at RAH at the reunion of cream. Prob ran out of words now. If you havent got this dvd and cd, go get it quick its defo worth 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Clapton DVD in my collection, 24 Jan 2005
A thoroughly professional performance from Clapton and the usual suspects (Steve Gadd, Nathan East & Andy Fairleather Woe). Nice to see Billy Preston still going strong too! A very varied set - something for everyone I'd imagine - great for those of us whose taste in music isn't too narrow (blues snobs excepted). Excellent sound and picture quality. Some nice close-ups of Clapton's fretwork too, handy for the guitarists among us.
So what if he ends the set with 'Somewhere over the Rainbow'? If I could own only one Clapton DVD, it would be this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic for many reasons, 4 Sep 2006
S J Buck (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
He starts the concert with an accoustic guitar version of "Key To The Highway Me". His voice is in fine form and the guitar is naturally great. Then the band join him for a gentle Jazz influenced instrumental from Reptile and its here you realise that this going to be something special.

This is his regular touring band from that time i.e. Andy Fairweather-Low, Nathan East and Steve Gadd, but also David Sancious on keyboards and best of all Billy preston on Hammond Organ and vocals.

The concert is marvellous, and its my favourite Clapton DVD. Full of great performances - you won't be disappointed with this. A special mention must go to the late Billy Preston, the 5th Beatle. His performance of "Will it go round in circles?" (his own song) is so infectious. He clearly loved being in the spotlight and its a great shame that this is probably one of his last recorded performances.

This is in widescreen with stereo, 5.1 dolby digital, and DTS audio options.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer Clapton Brilliance, 16 May 2007
J. Senior "JLS" (West Yorkshire,UK) - See all my reviews
Its unusual for you to find a 14 year Clapton maniac,but im that 14 year old! Eric Clapton is the reason for my love of all guitar music, and just this one man made me realise how great musical times were when i wasn't even born. He made me fall in love with artists such as Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath, Cream and Stevie Ray Vaughan. And this DVD just amplifies my love for his music, I borrowed this DVD off someone I know, and, although I had never seen a Clapton DVD before, I couldn't wait to stick it into the DVD player. The DVD is fantastic, I loved it, It was classic Clapton with all the added extras, I mean at about 60 years old this guy and his touring band are still trying to pull off one of the most classic songs of all time: Layla, for me, that is the highlight of this DVD, It really makes the DVD extra special and is brilliantly exucuted by the ageing but genius that is Eric Clapton. This DVD is fantastic, in any way you look at it, in all aspects, it is. Clapton shows his genius in many ways along with a superb band behind him. Buy this DVD and you'll be in for a real treat!

5.0 out of 5 stars Eric Clapton at his BEST, 2 Jan 2007
Fiona Hardie - See all my reviews
We have loads of EC CDs in our collection, but if you only ever buy one of his DVDs, then THIS IS IT! It is a fantastic collection, played by superb musicians who really know their instruments and play for pure pleasure. I bought it for my husband for Christmas, and it will be played to death over the coming year and then some - fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars First Eric Clapton DVD, 1 Jun 2014
Bought this after seeing one bit at a HI-FI show. Sound is top notch Dolby is good enough but I like the DTS version video quality is pretty good for a DVD not quite HD but Good enough for my Tele.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›