Size: 1.25 inch|Change

on 8 February 2009
I'd say in comparison to a lot of other eyepiece kits on the market this one is probably best in terms of money and quality.

It comes with five 1.25" eyepieces, 4mm, 6mm, 9mm, 15mm and 32mm. I've heard some people complain that there aren't any mid range eyepieces like a 25mm that come with it, but as these eyepieces are supplied as standard with most Celestron telescope packages it would be pointless to include one.

Also supplied is a 2x Barlow lense, this is an amazing piece of kit that I have probably had the most use out of. It effectively lengthens the focal length of your telescope, and doubles the magnification hence being called a "2x" Barlow.

Seven filters are supplied, these are desgined to aid planetary and lunar observation. There are six colour filters and also a moon filter. The yellow filter is particularly good for exposing some of the more finer details of the moon's craters, and also Jupiter and Saturn.

The carrycase is also and added bonus, it's very sturdy and can be locked with a key. There are also spare slots in the foam for additional eyepieces you may already have, one disappointment I had was there being no space provided for a diagonal, but I just used a craft knife to cut a piece of foam away to make room.

On the whole an amazing kit and a definite must if you've just bought a new telescope and want some more eyepieces.
review image
55 comments|96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 February 2011
The two eyepieces supplied with the telescope are to say the least "basic."
You get a 10mm and a 20mm and if you are new to this hobby you might think they are all you need. I was amazed when I received my set of new eyepieces. You could tell just by opening the box that they were far superior than the two standard ones.
I was not expecting much from the 32mm thinking that this is a lower magnification level then the 20mm. I was wrong - I saw straight away that the magnification is not the important thing - this piece gives a crystal clear view of the sky, you see lots more even though you are not "zoomed in."

Next, I wanted to look at some of the sky objects a lot closer (i.e. zoomed in) and was amazed when turned the telescope onto Saturn. With the 32mm You could identify Saturn and could tell there were rings around it - but probably only because you knew they were there. Swap over to the 6mm eyepiece and there they are crystal clear, plus I could see at least 5 of Saturn's moons. The get in closer again using the Barlow. Just looking at Saturn made this purchase worthwhile.

The only thing that I thought could be considered as "missing" from this kit is a collimator. It would also have been useful if two extra holes were in the sponge to store the "supplied eyepieces - 10mm and 20mm). It was easy enough though to cut out a couple of extra holes myself.
44 comments|57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 March 2009
My first telescope was celestron 130 EQ, it came with two lenses. Exceptional views of the moon with them. So decided to get the Celestron Eye Piece & Filter Kit, was well worth it, the views with the other lenses are great.
The silver case is 12.5 inches long by 10 inches wide and 4 inches deep approx.There are 7 various filters,2x barlow lens, also 4mm,6mm,9mm,15mm,and 32mm lens, with three extra spaces in the case for other lens. Only thing was no instructions came with it regarding the filter lenses, which colour is best and for what.Otherwise i'm well happy with the purchase.
22 comments|46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 August 2012
This case is a must buy for anyone getting into astronomy. The five eyepiece lens give a great range for what-ever you want to look at. The 2x barlow lens (or any barlow for that matter) is essential for anyone who owns a telescope and infinitely useful. The case as room for expansion so there will be room for the lens that came with your telescope. The filters are a great addition especially the lunar filter. It comes with a great "quick guide" for the different colour filters so you'll know what features or which planets will be emphisised; this is a great time saver. Overall, this will be a great addition that will enhance the flexibility of your new or existing scope that you can take with you as you upgrade to bigger apertures later down the road.
on 6 August 2012
Highly recommend this set which I have been using for several months now. It comes with five eyepieces 32mm, 17mm, 13mm, 8mm & 6mm plus one 2 x barlow and filters. I find that I don't get much use out of the 8mm & 6mm as I prefer to double up with the 17mm & 13mm using the barlow. The 32mm is by far the best eyepiece offering fantastic wide views. The remaining eyepieces are very good and far superior to the stock one's you get with starter telescopes.

Filters are useful, particularly the No.12 Deep Yellow, No.80A Blue & Lunar filter for enhanced clarity on the moon. The latter you will come to rely on to counter the glare from the moon.

The case the set comes in is sturdy and everything is well protected. Mine came with a spare rectangular slot which I use to store the stock eyepieces that came with my telescope. (Note:- a diagonal will not fit here but you could make room for one by making a cut in the foam).

Only gripe (and it's a small one) is with the case locks which are really flimsy but it doesn't bother me as I never use the locks anyway.

Personally I would have preferred a good quality 20mm or 25mm eyepiece instead of the 8 & 6mm in this set. I know most telescopes come with eyepieces at around 20mm but they are not as good quality as what you get in this plossl set.

Overall a great buy and this will make a huge difference to your viewing experience with your telescope.
review image
on 20 October 2012
Guys,

let's be honest. Nobody has ever really used this piece of kit for a long time.
The 32mm Ploessl is brilliant and gives you a nice FOV. The moon filter I do still use. The 17mm used to be useful until I bought another 35£ 8mm eyepiece which just outdoes it on every level.
The colour filters aren't interference filters and therefore unsuitable for amateur astrophotography and the barlow is of such minor quality...

I recommend investing your money in better things. Get online onto an astronomy forum (eg. stargazerslounge.com) and speak to people who actually use these things on a frequent basis. Long threads have been written on which eyepieces to buy and I wish I would have known that earlier.

Buy yourself three eye pieces - one above 30mm, one around 15mm and one around 8mm. Don't buy any smaller ones, because if you look on amazon for astro equipment, you are a beginner (isn't it?) and your scope won't be able to give you clear pictures at greater magnifications!!!

Buy a moon filter indeed (it's so very bright to look at otherwise).

The case is sturdy, and I really like it, but you could buy these from Maplin's in various sizes.

In my case now I keep my 8mm EP, a 2x Barlow, a 3x Barlow, a webcam, a wireless joypad, a USB hub, a cable to connect mount to computer, another cable and a small level.

Hope this helps!

Really, don't go out buying things if you haven't talked to anyone.

I dare you to join stargazerslounge.com!
on 12 July 2012
Excellent range of eyepieces and filters well protected in a neat foam lined aluminium case.

Unfortunately due to recent lousy weather in Northern Ireland, I have not had the opportunity to test in my SW Explorer 200, but having read other reviews, and as they bear the Plossl name, I have no reservations as to quality.
on 13 January 2014
Hi, i ordered this on Friday as I got a telescope for christmas. Reading the reviews it suggested the okulars were not good so I ordered these. Once can really see the difference and I can recommend this product.
on 22 August 2013
The Celestron 94303 eye piece and filter kit is good value for money but the filters needed a good clean when they arrived to remove a heavy layer of 'haze' from the surface of the glass.
Obviously not properly inspected before release from the factory in China but I suppose it's the price we all have to pay for getting everything manufactured there on the cheap.
You have to finish the job properly yourself!
on 27 January 2013
Performs as advertised. Certainly improves on the eyepieces that came with my telescope. Would recommend to novice stargazers looking to extend range of magnifications available.