Format: Audio CD|Change

on 12 February 2004
It's so strange to come across Dirty Vegas. So few people know who they are, or even that they have an album.
But, well, in a way it's nice, as they don't know what they are missing. And that is a long list!!
Soulful love songs (days go by), quirky beats (I should know), compassionate lyrics (throwing shapes)....I could go on!
Dirty Vegas have a real longevity about their music. They have the feeling of Faithless, or, closer to home, they may grow to rival Royksopp if they are very lucky.
I ma not sure how new their kind of music is. This has been done before, but I see it as if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Have a crap day at work, get stuck in traffic, spill coffee on your trousers. Then go home, get this album on, forget what you were thinking about and enjoy. It's like musical aromatherapy!
If you haven't got Melody Am by Royksopp, go buy that. If you have that but have now listened to it so many times your friends are worried about you, buy Dirty Vegas.
They're different, but just as good.
on 17 July 2002
This definately has to get a 5 star rating from me, as this album is fantastic from the word go. Each song is placed well in the track listings, and gives the album a better sound.
I wouldn't say it was "trance-pop" as above, it's nothing at all like trance, and pop for that matter. I brand this as a mixture of house and chill-out music. It's certainly an album to put on quitely whilst with your girlfriend or something.
Anyway, If you're hesitating on whether you buy this or not, I have to say 'go for it' coz it's a great album to listen to!
on 10 December 2002
Dirty Vegas' album is a fine blend of contrasts. Indie, house and German electronica all come together in a steadily whirling symphony of musical styles, that tends to satisfy all tastes. But to say that this album always has something to satisfy is not to suggest that there is no consistency to the band's repertoire. Rather they have succeeded in writing a gently undulating sonic story, committed to the same road, only to travel through different landscapes.
Certainly any attempt to classify Dirty Vegas' debut album can only lead to confusion. Though it doesn't immediately present itself as experimental, a closer look will assure any assiduous listener that the music is holistically unique in style. At times it suggests a 90's renaissance, with notes of the rhythm-assisted soul-searching of Seal's "Killer" or "Crazy". Only less pop, more dancefloor, with a slightly muted anthemic bent. Faithless on Prozac, brought up by rigorous electronica, sharpening the soft vocals and ambrosial melodies with incisive and infectious synthesiser rifs. Add to that a set of delightfully simple yet potent lyrics, and you have a highly accessible album, without precursor or pretence. And as such, it sits neatly in the "Miscellaneous" pile, equally at home on the dancefloor podium as it is on the chill-out bean-bag.
If there can be any criticism of the album, it could only suffer the ironic ignominy of being too easy-on-the-ear. While it can be dark, and is certainly introspective, the music is only really challenging if you concentrate a little harder than is necessary to listen. But this is not an angry or tragic album. Instead it runs as a life-commentary for the thoughtful, the hopeful and the occasionally cynical. It won't leave you ecstatic, maddened, horny, or drained. Rather than sending a shock up your spine, it will leave you gently tingling, which in many ways is a much more pleasant sensation.
on 2 October 2002
I bought this album when I was in London for a few days in August. I never heard of Dirty Vegas before as neither the single nor the album have been released in Switzerland. Browsing through the racks in one of the large music shops, the really cool artwork of the single "Ghosts" grabbed my attention. I listened to it and instantly loved it! The music reminded me a little bit of X-Press 2's "Lazy". I had to have the album! Before buying it I read some of the reviews in the magazines, most of them hated it, one described it as "dance music for people who don't like dance music". Didn't bother me, "Ghosts" was simply too good... I agree with amazons' reviewer: about half of the songs are great, pop music with an electronic twist, so to speak. The other half is ok. Most of the instrumental-only tracks sound interesting at first, but lose their appeal quite quickly. My favourite tracks are "All or nothing", "Simple things", "Days go by" and, of course, "Ghosts". My advice: Listen to it before buying it.
on 24 February 2010
Well, where do I start? How about, so good, they named it twice? This album is BRILLIANT - I love it!! The tracks are so varied from the instrumental "The Brazilian" which is very electronic and dancey, quite reminiscent of Paul Oakenfold, to the melodic and pretty "Ghosts". All the tracks have an underlying moody and evocative feel to them. I play this album all the time. If I am feeling happy, it just elevates my mood. If I am feeling sad, it lifts me up. The songs which contain lyrics are all so good you can't help singing along to them. The lead singers slightly gravelly voice is perfectly offset by the beautiful harmonies. It is a great album for driving, although I have received some strange looks as I have driven past people with the volume turned up very loud and me singing my head off! The underlying electronic rythms on the tracks make it a great album also for dancing to. I can honestly say there is not one duff track on this album and there is something to suit every mood. Buy it, you won't regret it.
VINE VOICEon 3 December 2002
Pigeon-holing bands should have gone out when the likes of David Holmes and Primal Scream came in but you can't help but wonder how you would describe Dirty Vegas. The record is a mosaic production of melodic house, mild trance, cheeky big beat disco, gentle indie-guitars and some MOR vocals thrown in for good measure.
Let's start off with the weak points and work backwards. The last few songs sound pretty samey and indie-esque and tend to fall away. It's not even worth describing them because they aren't that memorable - although you do get a rendition of Pink Floyd's 'Another Brick In The Wall' somewhere near the end - pointless really.
Track Six, 'Candles', sounds better - it's a slow-burning ditty and from this track, you kinda realise how serious Dirty Vegas are about their occasionally pretentious lyrics... But enough of the criticisms. The first five tracks are
absolutely wonderful. 'Throwing Shapes' is indeed a cheeky head-bopping ditty - one of the catchiest album tracks of the year. 'Days Go By' is both funky and haunting and we all know that 'Ghosts' is a pleasant serving of tasty melodic pop. Finally, we get round to track one: laced with housey beats, 'I Should Know' is an uplifting five-minute gem that promises so much from these boys.
You can't help but think that if Dirty Vegas stay well away from any indie-rock aspirations they might have and concentrate more on developing their cheeky uplifting dance hooks... they could be as big as Groove Armada - just messing - they could produce some pretty impressive records.
on 2 September 2002
The album is still better than most, but it's worth noting that all the tracks were written by Paul Harris, Steve Smith & Ben Harris (Dirty Vegas) with the exception of Days Go By - Steve Smith & Victoria Horn. It's understandable therefore that the rest of the album will bear little resemblance to it. For anyone quite sceptical about buying this CD, this little insight may save you a few quid.
I heard Throwing Shapes on a Sampler from HMV (DNC04A) first before buying this. If in doubt, borrow a copy first!
on 20 September 2002
This is a seriously good album, one of the best of the year. Definitely 'dance' oriented but suitable to chill-out to. I certainly don't regret giving it a whirl.
on 20 May 2012
This album was found by mistake as I was a big fan of 'Days Go By'. Once I got this album it took me a few days to actually get to sit and listen in its entirely. Reminds me of the album by Syntax called Meccano Mind and Leftfield - Leftism.. Not saying by any words that they are same, but just as mesmerising.. Fantastic!!
on 6 July 2015
Track 5 is great, the rest is very bland. Buy it if you like Morcheeba.