Shop now Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop now Shop Now Shop now

• Ra

Ra
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£7.38+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 17 February 2004
I stumbled across this band while browsing through Amazon, and it's still next to my CD player.
From One could be called a nu-metal album at a stretch, but it is full of melodic hooks. Fans of Saliva, Disturbed or Taproot could like them a lot- they seem at a similar level, but a touch less angry. The singing sometimes reminds me of a toned-down Incubus- it certainly isn't growling, and it has slightlier jazzy moments. He can definately sing- it almost shames all of those bands screaming and rapping in their metal.
I once read the bandleader Sahaj confess, "I wanted to hear Metallica with the Police's Andy Summers playing guitar and Sting singing. It bothered me that there wasn't a band like that, so I formed one." Make of that what you will. By the way, he also says that one of his favourite films is the matrix- if you ever see them, they'll probably be dressed up in that gear.
Some of the best moments are in the straight-ahead hard rock songs (“Parole,” “High Sensitivity,” and “Sky”). A lot of the rest can be quite slow, but it's normally building up to a strong chorus ("Only" being a good example). But if you don't like the odd relaxed stoll imbetween your harder riffs, don't get this album. The acoustic track "Walking And Thinking" at the end shows this side to them, reflective and mellow.
The Egyptian motif is quite heavy, from the band's name (Ra, the Egyptian sun god), to the riffs used in "Do You Call My Name" (the first single), to the album art. I think this gives the album a more distinctive style, which is refreshing after seeing some of the more generic groups coming in. You get the odd twang of an arabian instrument, in the same way that System of A Down use eastern-European wails once in a while. It makes the band stand out, just as an extra flavour, but it never goes overboard with it at all.
The lyrics are pretty strong apart from on the song "Falling Rock Zone". It's about internet predators/ rapists, and it's kinda blunt. "..A fallen rock zone, a broken backbone, i want to hear you scream into your cell phone. Just a traitor, eleventh grader, cyber sex addicted masturbator". The point of the song is definitely made, but it's easy to ignore.
Overall, this album is really well rounded and definately worth 4 stars. I might give it 5, but perhaps it sits in the uneasy middle ground between slow rock and something more energetic. For some, it could simply be a bit too watered-down and radio friendly for hard rockers. By I think it's a refreshing departure from mainstream rock; there's enough variety to keep it interesting, but it all hangs together.
Try something a bit different, and bow down to the sun! ; )
on 12 January 2005
My sister introduced me to this album back when it was released. Since that day I have been a dedicated fan of these guys. The music is nothing more than good solid rock, with the exception of a few tracks which I could easily class as a proper rock anthem. Sky, for example, has such an epic melody that makes it far too easy to get lost in Sahaj's lyrics. Everything from the drum beat to the grinding riffs and perfect solo's from Ben's de-tuned 7-string make this album an all time favourite. Its not often I get to listen to an album over and over and over for years without getting bored of a single song.

My advice?? Buy this album. At this price its a bargain.
on 20 June 2003
I first heard one of their songs while i was playing "Tiger Woods" 2003[one of the feature tunes], the song was called "Do you call my name" and i was instantly interested to find out more about the band, so i got it imported and as soon as i heard it i was overwhelmed by how clever the playing and lyrics complimented ecah other, if you like bands like "Incubus", "Saliva" etc you'll love this album, it's a must have, you won't know till you buy it, it consists of varing styles some with bongo drums which i found surprisingly unbelievable, Rock?????? YES but with a bit of funk mingled in for good taste!!!! Now the onus of dtermination is listening so purchase the album and enjoy..........