4.0 out of 5 stars Manics playing it safe again
A mix between "The Everlasting" and "A Design For Life".
Anyone who can remember the early classic singles, such as the brilliant "New Art Riot", or anyone who has a copy of "The Holy Bible" album will find the lack of lyrics on "There By The Grace Of God" to be disappointing.
Published on 9 Oct 2002

2.0 out of 5 stars My greatest fears... realised.
Published on 17 Oct 2002

4.0 out of 5 stars Manics playing it safe again, 9 Oct 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: There By The Grace Of God [CD 1] (Audio CD)
A mix between "The Everlasting" and "A Design For Life".
Since the loss of Richey, the band members have tended to take less chances and their lyrics have been reducing in complexity and meaning. It was, of course, Richey who wrote most of the "Holy Bible" lyrics.
"There By The Grace Of God" returns to the commercial style that proved so successful on the "Everything Must Go" and "This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours" albums. Probably more bland than the hit singles "A Design For Life" and "If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next", and definately nowhere near as exciting as the surprise number one hit "The Masses Against The Classes".
Even so, if you were a fan of "A Design For Life" then you will like this one too. It is the Manics moving away from the adventurous (and poor selling) style of the "Know Your Enemy" album and once again looking for mass appeal.
This will remind people of their period of commercial success and should help sales of the new "Forever Delayed" best-of album.
I think I would most liken this track (quality wise) to their top-ten cover of "Suicide Is Painless".

2.0 out of 5 stars My greatest fears... realised., 17 Oct 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: There By The Grace Of God [CD 1] (Audio CD)
I can't put into words how disappointed I am in this song. Picture the scene: obsessive Manics fan sits listening to Radio One for an hour waiting for this new song, gets excited when Nicky Wire is interviewed live on the show, and then it starts. And keeps going. And ends. It was like being lost in a world where the greatest rock band Wales has ever produced became the ultimate victim of commercialism, churning out the sort of bland, middle-of-the-road music you'd expect from a Travis B-side. I waited to wake up, but the nightmare was real.
I hate this song, it has a hint of all the bad things from songs that I've heard from them before that I didn't like. It was like "So Why So Sad?" without the comedy element (the Beach Boys?!?), incorporating The Everlasting with no lighters-in-the-air chorus, and ending in exactly the same tone as it started: dull. I suppose in a way it's a poetic stab at ruining an album that is most likely a contractual necessity, at least I'd love to think that. The only redeeming factor is the fact that Nicky remains a lovely lyricist and James hasn't lost his dulcet tones, hence 2 stars. Other than that, I wish I'd never heard this song, and I will not be buying this single.
I know they're getting older, but please, let's have one last stab at the venomous ways of old.

There By The Grace Of God [CD 1]
There By The Grace Of God [CD 1] by Joe Cocker (Audio CD)