Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£17.00+ £1.26 shipping

on 11 August 2015
Unless I am mistaken, I have not read any specific comment about the sound quality of this issue on a double album released on sacd format. I am not necessarily a rock music fan but having grown up in the 60s and 70s as a teenager to the sound of Simon and Garfunkel, Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, the Beatles, the Stones and many others , I was intrigued to find out by what magnitude the sound had been be improved years later, using the latest digital technology. I grew up to embrace the classical music cause in the intervening years and started buying classical records almost exclusively. So, why buy this now you may ask. Nostalgia and my taste for remastered music in the best possible sound made me go ahead with the purchase of these sacds.. I was just curious to hear what differences I could possibly hear compared to the original recordings I was familiar with.
Well, I was in for a pleasant shock. I remember how fuzzy and trebly, the sound used to be on my record player and I put this down to the poor recording and reproduction of the sound. I could not have been any more wrong because now, many years later, I can report that I am absolutely bowled over by the quality of the sound reproduction on my high end system set up for optimum reproduction where any slight change however small can be detected immediately.
Not only has the fuzziness and trebly sound gone completely but the clarity of the recording is simply amazing. Suddenly, you are transported into the recording studio, to witness the recording session taking place. I can now hear details I had never heard before, low level details as well as the acoustics of the recording venue with the greatest ease. Suddenly the Stones are performing even better and I would go as far as saying that the recording in its remastered format can be considered to be in the hi fi demo league good enough to be played to showcase your hi fi system. I am now more than happy to play Maria Callas and the Rolling Stones in sacd format!
So, if you are a Rolling Stones fan or an audiophile like me, buy this without any further ado. You will not regret it, I promise you.
PS : I understand that concern has been expressed by a reviewer over the fact that these sacds will not play as sacds on his sacd player. This is very odd as it should. I had no problem at all with my sacd player.
A final thought. I have now just bought Hot rocks vol 2 on the strength of what I heard on the first volume with the knowledge that it will play happily on my standard cd player and on my sacd player.
on 18 January 2015
This is without doubt the greatest rock compilation ever released and it will never be beaten because there will never be another Rolling Stones. There are many reviews here of particular records so I will not state my opinion of them as it has already been said, but side two is in my opinion the best side of rock music ever put on to CD, and no other group comes close, and in that I include Led Zeppelin and the Beatles.
One reviewer here states that the Stones were forever in the Beatles shadow when it came to album releases, which is true to a minor extent with the release of Revolver and Sgt Pepper, but no other albums in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I love the Beatles, but they were simply NOT a rock band. Listen to all their early albums up to Rubber Sole and they sound very dated, and very "poppy" but of their time, so that fine. I also have everything they officially recorded. Hear the early Stones and you can hear that they are superior musicians, each and everyone, and had a far harder edge; that it why they sold less than the Beatles as they did not appeal to the older generation, they were simply a rock band, and England has never really embraced this music as America did.

The opening bars to Gimmie Shelter cannot, and will never be beaten for an intro. Did you know this song was blasted into the ears of the gunners on the USA planes as they flew over Vietnam dropping their bombs and slaughtering all below? A bit different to "She's Leaving Home" wouldn't you say?

If you love rock music then this is the album for you, it is very cheap and the remastered version is a joy to behold, although a slightly different intro to Sympathy For The Devi, which was never bettered than on the original vinyl Mono recording. I can promise you will not be disappointed if you buy it, and it may even get you into listening to other Stones albums, there are so many great ones to buy.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This two-CD set provides seven years worth of vintage Stones from their peak period. Compare these delectable tracks to the rock music of today and one wonders where things went wrong in the mainstream. Melodic, meaningful, powerful and innovative, these Stones songs represent everything that is special about rock music.

Although there's not one mediocre track here, my favorites include the bluesy Time Is On My Side, Heart Of Stone, Wild Horses and Ruby Tuesday (covered by Melanie Safka among others), the raucous rock of Satisfaction, Get Off My Cloud, Street Fighting Man and Brown Sugar, with songs of social comment (Mother's Little Helper, 19th Nervous Breakdown), and beautiful ballads: As Tears Go By (covered by inter alia Marianne Faithfull), Play With Fire and Paint It Black.

The Stones must be the ultimate rock band, more influential than the Beatles in their 4 decades plus consistency and their exploration of the wilder side of life. This is an absolute masterpiece. If an alien came down and asked me to recommend some quality rock music, this album will top my list. It deserves 7 stars!
on 9 June 2011
This is a masterclass in what rock music should sound like all over 40 years old and not one of them has aged. Include "It's only Rock and Roll" and the infamous, but hilarious, last unreleased Decca single "CS Blues" and you could do a masters degree in Rock!
on 14 November 2012
I received my product a week ahead of the scheduled date. Thanks for that.

Was a used SACD but I don't care, t'was in such perfect conditions, even the package.

GREAT price for this kind of content.

11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 January 2004
I certainly can't quibble with the quality of the Stone's music but this reissue is not a step up from previous pressings. While the SACD is certainly more frequency extended both CD and SACD are much harsher to listen to on a good system then the earlier pressings. A good SACD mix or even a good remaster should sound closer to live music. Some of the SACD stuff I've heard lately is jaw droppingly good. I wish this Stones CD was too.
on 7 June 2008
I own this album on vinyl and I loved it back then I love it even more now .This just grows better with age love it love it love it *****
on 11 October 2012
I was always hooked on Tour of Duty as a teenager and the theme tune was Paint it Black I did not know at the time who had performed it. It was not until I heard it again on BBC Radio 2 that I found out and thought I want that on my iPod. iTunes wanted £1.49 for I so I googled the track and found out it was on Hot Rocks, so off to Amazpon and loo and behold £3 For he!
After playing it I can't believe how good the stones were back then awesome purchase, cd, anD BAnd!
on 22 February 2012
Although you can now prob get all these tracks and more via 'Rolled Gold' and 'The London Years' sets this is still a very good selection of songs. As a fan the 'Midnight Rambler' track is the song I'd not heard before. There is not a duff track on here and it makes for a great party CD when played all the way through. 10/10.
on 4 January 2013
As I had the Hits collection from 1971 I decided to buy this one to fill the gap rather than buy the latest greatest hits compilation which had one of those horrible cardboard sleeves. This might be an old release but has all their early stuff on it so is great.