5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Teaching
I use these videos as a teaching resource whilst teaching extreme weather to year 9. Easy to use as the chapters are split into simple sections and a mix of simple explanations and clear case studies make this ideal for use in the classroom. Would recommend to any geography department.
Published on 6 Jun 2012 by S. Deblander

3.0 out of 5 stars Upsetting scenes for young children
I am blessed to have a documentary mad (nearly) 5 year old, who is a huge fan of the "Life" series. I thought Weather might be an interesting next step.

We did well to start with. This series certainly has the fast paced graphics (raindrops! hurricanes!) and tech (hot air balloon! fighter jet!) designed to catch the 5 year old males' imagination...
Published on 21 Nov 2010 by EC

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Teaching, 6 Jun 2012
S. Deblander - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Wild Weather, 15 Jan 2003
This review is from: Wild Weather : Complete BBC Series [2002] [DVD] (DVD)
This was my first DVD purchase (initially for the same reason as Catherine - glad I'm not the only one!) based on the broadcast of the series earlier this year, and it certainly doesn't disappoint - well up to the usual high standards of the BBC nature/science team.
Stunning CGIs and Macintyre's very approachable, sometimes self-effacing presentation both entertains and educates. The accounts of people who have survived the worst nature can devise certainly make one think about what we all may be doing (however unconciously) to exacerbate the conditions we all have to live with, and what we may be able to do to counter some of the effects.
The four programmes , when viewed together, show clearly how every aspect of weather is interlinked globally, from the Poles to the Tropics.
Overall, beautiful imagery and the informative script make this DVD well worth a viewing!
(One slight niggle, though - what happened to the out-takes mentioned in the pre-release reviews?! The ones that have been left in the programmes are funny - it would have been nice to see more!)

5.0 out of 5 stars High drama, 6 May 2006
This review is from: Wild Weather : Complete BBC Series [2002] [DVD] (DVD)
For anyone interested in weather and climate, this series will be fascinating. We Brits have always been obsessed with the weather, but now that we have global warming and an increase in wild weather all over the planet, who wouldn't be interested in the sort of environmental drama that can kill you if you're not prepared? I've watched these programmes several times now - on TV and on the DVDs - and I never tire of them. Quite apart from the tidal wave of information presented here, there's a barrage of beautiful scenery, storm and CGI images - and even the music is very good (apart from the odd "boom chuka boom chuka boom boom boom" and "tika tika tar, tika tika tar" that, for no reason that has ever been adequately explained to me, seem to mar almost ever modern documentary, making subtitles very useful indeed from time to time). Donal MacIntyre is excellent in the role of mad adventurer/presenter. He gets his kit off at every opportunity to imperil and expose his poor body to the elements. I was filled with admiration and sympathy in turns. When he stands in a freezer at -18 degrees centigrade for half an hour, wearing only sandals and shorts, subjecting himself to quite severe hypothermia and showing signs of real physical distress, I shiver along with him as the cold seems to pour from the TV screen into my living room. Doctors and scientists explain the physiological changes that happen to the body when it overheats or loses too much heat, and how these changes lead to damage and even death. Meteorologists and climatologists explain where the weather comes from and what causes the climate to change. It's quite comprehensive and conveyed in good, plain English. My one, tiny niggle is that Donal consistently refers to the Arctic as the "Artic" (short for 'articulated lorry' I thought). Ah well. Nobody's perfect.

We don't often see the most dramatic weather here in Britain, but that could change. Already we're getting more floods and more heat. Even that's caused substantial damage and misery. But if you want to see what the weather is really capable of - if you want to see just what kind of destruction the weather has in its armoury, it's all here on these DVDs: howling winds, tornadoes, thunder and lightning, roaring seas, choking dust storms, ice storms, blizzards. Fabulous and alarming but never boring.

5.0 out of 5 stars A storm-chaser's delight, 3 Dec 2011
RR Waller "ISeneca" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Wild Weather : Complete BBC Series [2002] [DVD] (DVD)
Had I lived in middle America, I would have been a storm-chaser and, on those rare occasions when we have really violent storms in the UK, I am quite often seen outside watching and enjoying them. This is an excellent DVD and series for this, not only because it shows some truly violent storms, it also explains why they happen and makes Nature much more understandable.

Four one hour programmes filled with information, extraordinary film and research into Nature at its most violent.

4.0 out of 5 stars VERY INFORMATIVE, 28 Jan 2013
Amazon Customer (Crawley,West sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wild Weather : Complete BBC Series [2002] [DVD] (DVD)
Very informative about different types of weather and how it catches people unawares.The two american guys getting frostbite and losing limbs after abandoning their car in New York is pretty horrendous.Learn how the seas move around the planet and wind systems work etc.Interesting from a laymans point of view.Recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars great history of weather., 26 Jan 2013
This review is from: Wild Weather : Complete BBC Series [2002] [DVD] (DVD)
Lean about wind, wet, cold, heat. 2 disc set with donal mcintyre.good special affects helps you understand how we get the weather we do subtitles English sdh great for school kids to learn about weather.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wild Weather, 22 Jan 2013
This review is from: Wild Weather : Complete BBC Series [2002] [DVD] (DVD)
Donal MacIntyre is absolutely brilliant explaining all about the complexes of our planet and how it all
impacts on the weather globally, both calm and severe There are not enough stars on the rating scale
to describe it as far as I am concerned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing series, 14 Jan 2013
M. Wood - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wild Weather : Complete BBC Series [2002] [DVD] (DVD)
It's a bit noddyish at times..... typical new style of programme making, having to make things "fun". But there's enough good factual information to make this a fascinating insight into the world's weather systems and the underlying streams of air and seawater that drive our weather patterns.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Purchase, 2 May 2011
This review is from: Wild Weather : Complete BBC Series [2002] [DVD] (DVD)
The whole family has enjoyed watching this DVD, and more than once too. There are lots of facts and I am very pleased with my purchase. The price is great for what you get. I can't rate it high enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wild Weather, 4 Dec 2002
D. Smith - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wild Weather : Complete BBC Series [2002] [DVD] (DVD)
Ok. I admit the whole reason that I initially bought the DVD is because I hold a horrendous schoolgirl crush for the presenter Donal MacIntyre. (and if anyone else does - you're in for a real treat, believe me!) However, the whole series of programmes are actually both facinating and informative. Theres not too much of the scientific jargon that may put many people off this kind of thing. Everything is explained in detail with the aid of some rather slinky special effects. There are real life stories of traumatised people who have survived some of the scariest situations that the extremes of weather can throw at us. These stories make you wonder why the hell MacIntyre then goes and puts himself through deliberate recreations of such happenings for the amusment of the viewer!
Apparantly Lightning actually comes from the ground. As someone whos rather terrified of thunderstorms, this didn't help much.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›