Format: Audio CD|Change

on 25 September 2005
I bought this album after buying 'In between dreams' Needless to say I was not dissapointed by this purchase. From start to finish, the album is amazing acoustic songs, and is lyrically speaking, fantastic. Johnsons style is very relaxed, and after a few songs you will find yourself immensley relaxed and immersed in the music. There are no real weak tracks on the album, but for me the highlights have gotta be Inaudable Melodies, Bubble toes, and posters.
I now own all 3 Jack Johnson albums, and urge you to do the same.
on 24 April 2001
I'm a longtime follower of Ben Harper's work... Jack Johnson is/will be opening for him this year in the states... so i checked for an album... got it from amazon.com a few days ago after hearing bits of his songs on the net... The album (mainly acoustic material guitar-vocal/bass/drums not so far sonically from Ben's first, same producer!) is very good and i don't want to recommend any particular tracks except maybe for 1 (inaudible melodies) & 5 (flakes with Ben on the slide!)... Jack's singing is very broad (again if you like Ben you won't be disappointed) and his lyrics are great (he wrote the song 'rodeo clowns' for G.Love & special sauce, it's on Philadelphonic)...
on 30 July 2005
I bought this album on a whim and fell in love with it after a couple of listenings. It's down to earth music, with just a singer accompanied by guitar, bass and drums. The songs often begin inconspicuously, but soon a melody starts that grabs your attention. The music is very relaxed, and somehow I've been looking for this in the last few years.
on 8 January 2004
i was introduced to this album by a friend who had been travelling. With in a short time of listening i was blown away by it. Like many others i cant't believe that Jack hasnt become more well know in the UK-he is after all, superb.
Its an extremely chilled out album but is not mellow enough to be dull.Jack makes a refreshing change by writing lyrics that consist of more interesting/deep things than most current music. I fail to see how this album can not be liked. I dont usually listen to this kind of music(im more of a hiphop fan) but i think Jack has converted me. You dont know what you're missing out on- buy it and you wont be dissapointed!
on 2 October 2002
This is a stellar album, worthy of adding to any collection for those who like Ben Harper, Mason Jennings, G. Love, etc... Jack Johnson blends a variety of rhythms and styles into an album that has a unique, but familiar sound. Don't just skip to the more well-known songs like "Flake" and "Bubble Toes" as the whole album is excellent. Try to see him in concert, as he does some great covers and mixes up the songs a little from the CD versions.
on 13 January 2003
i heard this album at a friends house, and fell in love with Jacks voice instantly. i got home and ordered it, and it is worth every penny! my brother even loves this cd, and has since taken it to his friends houses so that they too can share in this delight!
my favourite tracks on this cd are "flake" - i defy anyone who can listen and not smile or sing along. another favourite is "the news" with lyrics such as "why don't the news casters cry when they read about people who die? at least they'd be decent enough to put just a tear in their eyes." this song actually forced me to stop my car and listen to Jacks smooth as cream voice. the live UK bonus tracks prove this mans talent, and popularity as you can hear the audience hanging off of every word that flows from his mouth.
Jack Johnson has obviously poured his heart into writing these songs, and it shows. not only are there some superb lyrics, but the simplicity of the music will calm you down, make you smile and wana dance. it's so refreshing to hear music of this standard. i can't wait for his next! i can't recommend this enough, go out and buy it. this is the soundtrack of your life...so order it today!
on 14 December 2005
I heard someone elses' review quoted on a television advert shown on CH4 last night.
All I can say is the record company has been pretty lazy not getting this man more exposure.
A heartfelt and wonderful collection of songs, perfect for any time of your life. Almost provoking tears with the humble lyrics topped by a voice that is warm and full of emotion.
This album is to be highly recommended; and I am not a core member of his audience demographic and would normally steer clear of this genera.
You will not regret the money you spent!
on 15 June 2003
This album is one i came across totally by chance, just browsing my LAN. It near blew my head off! This is a quietly confident piece of amazing acoustic guitar based music that i might recommend to fans of Ben Harper, Kathryn Williams or Nick Drake. A particular favourite of mine is "F-stop blues", songwriting which makes me seethe with envy!
Jack's voice is soft and cool and the music is simple and accessible. I would reccomend this album to ABSOLOUTELY ANYONE! You cannot go wrong!
on 6 October 2012
I now own 4 of Jack Johnson's albums, as every song is great to listen to. I'm normally into trance and rock, but was looking for something to chill to and his music is great! I usually buy on a track by track basis, but his albums are the rare case where every song is good in its own right.
on 5 March 2010
I bought this album recently. I have all Jack Johnson's other albums but for some reason didn't buy his first album until last.
Anyway, this album is awesome. I still prefer 'On and On' and 'In Between Dreams' the most but this is a great album.
Jack Johnson at his best. Back to his roots.