Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£2.99+ £1.26 shipping

VINE VOICEon 2 September 2015
I have a soft spot for these recordings, as they were my first purchase of any recoridng of this great music. There weren't so many around in the early '90's as there are now, and these were cheap.

Sentiment (and money) aside, they stack up very well against more celebrated performances in what is becoming a crowded field. I have vintage (Heifetz, Grumiaux, Shumsky), modern (Mullova, Beyer, Ehnes, Ibragimova, among others) and period (Holloway, Podger) recordings, and each has its merits, but very few are so much better than Lev that I'd be prepared to set hers aside.

I could quibble with the recording - it's perhaps a little too up-front for contemplative music like this - and there's any a,ount of room for debate about interpretation, but as an overall experience, this is very satisfying. There's never any loss of memntum or rhythm. In particular, the great Chaconne is arresting, from the first notes to the last. At nearly 15 minutes, it's slower than many, but never seems so.
on 30 November 2014
I paid for a new one, but obviously it is used. No wrap film, many abration on the case, and the paperback is torn. I bought it as a gift, now have to keep it for myself. The voicetrack is OK, but not as mellow as I expected for Bach.
This second volume of Bach's solo violin works from Lara Lev on Warner's super-budget Apex imprint contains a better overall performance than volume 1 Bach: Sonatas And Partitas For Solo Violin Vol. 1, as Ms Lev seems less frenetic and aggressive with her bowing. The whole set is very well-recorded and certainly worth a listen if you want to get to know these works without too much expense.