• ( )

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 20 February 2003
I bought this album looking for a real shoegazing experience and to be honest I got what I deserved. Yes, this album is good, yes the tracks are filled with beautiful melodies, epic sounds and a gripping emotion fermenting under the track itself. The idea of singing in a made up language is brilliant and the songs are well thought out. However I listen to music for an experience that sounds good, something that moves me, something that I can grip - and Sigur Ros's latest album just falls short of this.
You really do need to be patient to get in to this album and maybe in a few months time I might, but in the meantime this will be classified under the chill out section. If you want real shoegazing buy Slowdive (Just for a Day, Souvlaki or Pygmalion), if you want made up languages buy Cocteau Twins (any of their albums especially Heaven or Las Vegas or Garlands) if you want both by Sigur Ros. The thing is the total does not add up to the sum of its parts.
on 7 October 2011
I first listened to this album in 2005, I was in awe of the sound and never heard anything quite like it. The whole album is a journey and best listened to all the way through. Even when I listen to it now I still hear new bits in the percussion and sound. A must buy for anyone who wants to go to another planet for a while. I first saw Sigur Ros in London in 2006 and it was amazing to see them all on the stage making this beautiful music together. A friend recently described their sound as "crystal", like crystals jangling and forming and cracking. This is a rare sound and unique all the way from Iceland along with their Hopelandic language lyrics.
on 11 June 2009
Tracks 1 through 4 are absolutely fantastic, including some production tricks and great synthetic sounds. The remainder is not as good but it is something you can hear to as background music.

Yet I find "með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust" to be overall a better album, with a more mainstream sound and production.
on 16 November 2005
Nicely packaged vinyl release, but no track information at all anywhere on the records.
Best word to describe the music would be lovely, it washes over you and is quite uplifting.
on 21 April 2004
The album & tracks are aptly titled!
The album is OK, but not as varied as previous work they've done, and comparisons made with Radiohead are a little premature. There are few boundaries pushed with this album, although there are some interesting ideas presented.
I'm afraid the volume gets turned down on this one after a while and it has become my "nice to have on when friends are round" background music CD.
Not disappointed to have bought it, but not my best buy of the year! (that was Mars Volta's album)
3.5 stars from me!
VINE VOICEon 20 February 2003
Don't be fooled by the lack of title (a pair of brackets, with appositely, an empty space between them.) Don't be fooled by the cute packaging either - opaque white plastic slide sleeve. So slick. Don't be fooled by the album's 12-page booklet, bleached out ink-blot splurges, white on white grass-scapes.
Don’t be fooled by any of that style-over-substance twaddle. What’s at work here is a contrived piece of marketing - and how people are falling for it. ‘It’s minimal’, ‘it’s cool’, ‘it’s chilled’. And, of course, if you dare point out that the aching vocals, half-language, elongated notes, electro and percussion are really ponderous, dull and lacking in real emotion, well, the joke’s on you. You don’t ‘get’ it. You’re too uptight. Chill man. Poor soul. Pity me. Of course, it is intended to defy explanation, defy description. Why? Because then it can defy criticism. But I’m not letting Sigur Ros get off so lightly.
This kind of thing gets music a bad name, makes Enya sound like Mozart, and would make most sane people head for the nearest lift to hear some stimulating Muzak.
And how did this pretentious offering end up in my in-tray? Thanks to the wonderful Amazon welcome message: ‘people who bought records by… also bought… Sigur Ros’. Now that recommendation method has often worked well for me. I have discovered several great albums in this way. But for every 99 great recommendations, there has to be one turkey – and this is it. Whining, wailing, ponderous, undemanding, bland (the biggest crime), and, frankly, preposterous, self-important, self-indulgent mood music for a soulless generation.
If you like Pink Floyd’s most indulgent material (any time after Syd Barrett imploded), if you like mournful whale noise, noodling avant-garde jazz, there’s a chance you may get something from this.
On reflection, the clues are there in the packaging. Clearly this is the work of a control freak. To me it is saying, ‘Like my minimal approach, love my packaging, enter my world, or I won’t allow you to adore me.’ In the world of cults, this is called grooming behaviour control. There’s further evidence of this, even in the irritating barcode sticker. It says, ‘please remove this sticker after purchase’ in lower-case lettering, of course. What it’s really saying is that this annoying sticker gets in the way of our clean-lined world. If you remove it the package will be complete, and you will become a full member of our clan. Ask yourself why the only other identifiable item on the package is of a zombified boy who appears to be sleepwalking.
If you do feel the need to listen, make sure a friend is on hand, or at least, have the number of the Samaritans handy.
66 comments|25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 September 2010
This album is truly awful. As a massive fan of post rock type bands such as Mogwai, Godspeed, Mono, Explosions, Caspian, etc, i thought i would like this band and fully expected to enjoy this album. I actually thought the concept was brilliant: 8 untitled songs, little in the way of artwork, something refreshing. With some records, when the disc stops spinning you are left thinking "What the hell was that?" - now this can be in both a good and bad way. I said that to myself after first play of Godspeed's skinny fists album but in a way that made me want to play it again. I said it after this record thinking i never wanted to hear it again as it had bored me to tears. As you can see from some of the other bands i like, i am used to long drawn out slow building songs and carthatic climaxes, but i just find this record thoroughly depressing. the only half decent release comes late on in the final track, but this is too late to redeem the record and even then it is ruined by the stupid annoying vocals. Here lies one of my many gripes with this band, i just cannot stand the whiney voice and the made up language. I love the intense climaxes in Mono's albums, here the songs just seem to amble on and it just bores me silly. I don't like judging after one listen though and i have played this about 3 times and can honestly say it has left me feeling empty and depressed every time. I will not waste another hour of my life listening to this pretentious drivel and highly recommend people to steer well clear of it.
on 10 February 2003
It can now be revealed that Sigur Ros are a handful of randomly selected, mildly depressed sixth formers with no known musical talent who, in a reality-TV experiment that went badly wrong, were locked in a room for a month with some expensive new synthesisers, some tape cuttings swept up from the floor of a guillotined Radiohead session, and an old warped copy of Joy Division's 'Atmosphere'. The result was '()', such a dreary collection of sub-sound that it became the CD of choice for persons shut in a windowless hut for the Norwegian winter while nursing their antisocial personality disorders.
Icelandic? Yeah, right. A made-up language, enigmatically untitled songs and seemingly hour-long stretches of wheezing vocals over the most soul-starved, uninspired dirges since The Virgin Prunes' joke contribution to NME's C81 tape - this has to be a bunch of smartarses having a laugh at the expense of angst-loving, self-professedly tortured young men, an important sub-cultural flock who really deserve something better. Well, we've all been there. Go get yourselves a 'Heart And Soul' boxed set.
This album was so bad that I actually looked forward to giving it away and no longer having it disgrace my collection.
on 23 May 2003
I've had this album for a few months, and must have listened to it about twice. Well, I thought I was being a bit harsh on it, so I gave it another go recently. I wish I hadn't, as it made me rather angry. It's incredibly boring for a start - I challenge you to tell me the difference between any of the songs. And I certainly agree with those enlightened souls who think Sigur Ros are pretentious. It's a bit like some of the artwork in the Tate Modern: you feel that as it's minimalist "art", you're compelled to thing it's inspirational when in fact it is just worthless rubbish with no meaning behind it at all.