5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning cinematic album
Published on 23 Oct 2002 by Generic Amazon User

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice try but no cigar
I am a big fan of much that Dave Lee's monikers have produced over the years, and go to many of his DJ sets. Each different alias used describes a different direction in the music he produces. Without detriment to his other works, I can say that I am not a big fan of his Jakatta album, Dave's first solo LP (I think).
The idea, noble if not original, seems to take...
Published on 28 Oct 2002 by Jimmy Jam James

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning cinematic album, 23 Oct 2002
This review is from: Visions (Audio CD)
“It Will Be” reminds me off a song off The New Deal’s self-titled album, “Exciting New Directions” because it has a female vocal sample that seems to build up to something. While in that song it tends to lead into a jam session, in this song, the melody weaves tighter and expands as the ‘time’ passes in the song. Its got a great groove and laidback feel.
“My Vision” starts off with a spine tingling female vocal woven into a sample from the Shawshank Redemption soundtrack, and as she says, “wonderful things are about to happen”; then the beat comes in, perfectly joined with the rest of the tune. Unexpectedly, its Seal’s voice that comes on, and you can already feel the energy from his first words, as songs like “Crazy” come back to mind. This is definitely my favorite song on the album.
“Ever So Lonely” has been featured on other compilations like ‘The Karma Collection” so its not a new tune. Sheila Chandra provides the mystical vocals on this track. Maybe I’m more used to a single version, because this one feels a little too long. But like other tracks to follow, Dave Lee does not force Jakatta into any fixed sound, so this shows off some of his variety.
“Feeling Blue” has a simple piano melody and a relaxed gentle feel. There is a female vocal in it, but the words sound wispy and breathless. I can’t imagine it not being featured on any other chillout albums in the near future.
“I Don’t Know” featuring Ty, has a hip-hop sound above another melodic sweeping sound and the snare hits. There is the sound of a muted trumpet as well, giving this song a great variety. It is another head bopping tune.
“American Dream” is the classic Jakatta tune, been around for a year or two now, and it features the sample from the movie ‘American Beauty’ which is also used in the intro to the album. The gentle flowing and often-breathless female vocal lays over the xylophone sample. If you havnt heard this song yet, where have you been?
“One Fine Day” is a beautifully evocative song in the line of Zero 7’s “Destiny”. The vocals provided by Beth Hirsch are warm and relaxing, as if imagining a day relaxing on the beach, sleeping under the sun or however you want to think about it. Its my second favorite song on the album, the only reason “My Vision” is better is cause I have to give props to Shawshank.
“Ride the Storm” has a spoken word vocal by Linda Clifford. I’m not a big fan of this song because of that. It definitely shows more variety. However, the music has the cinematic sweeping feel of other Jakatta songs.
“The Other World” begins with more lush synth melodies and closes off the album rather well, but does not do anything new, unless there is a sample that I’m not aware of.
Dave Lee AKA Joey Negro has put out a wonderful semi-chill beautiful album. His use of movie samples (the two that I’m aware of) is fantastic. And as the two movies that I mention are incredible, its even more brilliant that he uses them. These are songs we’ll all be hearing on compilations for a while. I cant wait to see ‘Visions’ taken on the road.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 14 Sep 2003
This review is from: Visions (Audio CD)
I had barely heard of Jaktaa when this album was given to me as a gift, but now I doubt I could live without it. Every song has a different character, and I am completely unable to say which is my favourite, unless you take 'Strung out' which is a sort of megamix of the whole album. The music is sophisticated, and can be either devastating or heart-warming, depending on which one you are listening to, and what mood you are in at the time.
I would definitely give this album the best rating possible.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fresh Take On An Abused Genre...., 19 Oct 2002
This review is from: Visions (Audio CD)
Last week, I browsed the web for a new CD. Dunno why, just decided I wanted another to add to my collection. I almost gave up after stumbling across Jakatta's "Visions." After being massively impressed by the mega-hit "American Beauty," I bought it on a huge whim!
And, boys and girls, I wasn't disapointed.
This is one of the most magical and uplifting albums produced by a DJ this year. As each track floats into the next, the album itself acts out a film-score, taking us on a journey through a storyline conveyed by the imagination of each set-piece - wether it be the haunting "My Vision," (with guest vocals from Seal), the Indian-inspired "So Lonely" or the smooth tones of Beth Hirsch on "One Fine Day."
The flagship track, is by far, "American Dream," with its sample - taken from the Sam Mendes film "American Beauty" - popping up alll over the album. However, this just shows how crucial the world of film is to Dave Lee - or Jakatta as he now like to be know! - exploring new themes, yet returning to the ones we want to hear over and over again.
This album is truly different, with moods to reflect the pre-nightclub teenager and the relaxing couple by the fire. Not a classic, but a must-buy for Winter 2002.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a fantastic album!, 19 Nov 2002
This review is from: Visions (Audio CD)
Jakatta's debut album certainly doesn't disappoint - there are some excellent tracks on here. It's hard to define Jakatta's style; some would call it easy listening with relaxed, memorable phrases, whereas others would say it borders on house. Either way, his style is extremely unique, characterised by moving melodies and stirring use of the piano. It's a great album to chill out to, but does have some rousing numbers that make you want to get up and dance!
My personal favourites include the tracks 'American Dream', which has been a popular number in clubs for the last 2 years; the outstanding 'My Vision' which features the welcome return of Seal, 'Ever so Lonely' - although be warned - it is much slower than the single release; and 'The Other World' which samples a track from the Bond film 'Diamonds are Forever'.
Basically, all the songs on the album are good - some are really haunting and evocative. In a nutshell, it's an excellent buy - plenty of memorable melodies with catchy lyrics and an amazing ethereal sound. I look forward to Jakatta's next work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lush, 15 Oct 2002
This review is from: Visions (Audio CD)
I have long awaited this album on the basis of the first two singles So Lonely and American Dream. The defining moment for me was acheived with securing Seal on the recent single My Vision (which I feel is his best work since his first album).
All tracks are lush and varied, with that 'film soundtrack' quality. Although there is heavy sampling of works from other film soundtracks including American Beauty and Betty Blue, they are so gorgeous and inventive that they are world's away from the original works.
This is somewhere between Moon Safari and Simple Things. Perfect for those who were waiting for Air to revert back to their earlier style (like me!)

5.0 out of 5 stars An unexpected treat!, 13 Jan 2003
This review is from: Visions (Audio CD)
This album came as an unexpected surprise to me, as I wasn't expecting it to be anywhere near as good as it is. To me, the most obvious reference point for comparison is Air's chill-out classic 'Moon Safari'. In places, 'Visions' shares the same laid-back feel of that album, and moreso manages to do so without the 'Last of the Summer Wine' overtones (listen to 'Ce Matin La' and tell me you don't hear that too!) of Air's album. 'Visions' doesn't stop at a brief safari on the moon, and probes further out into the universe.
From first track to last, there's a definite air of tension that comes through from this album, something that puts me in mind of black-and-white films of empty beaches under cloudy skies. Even the dancier tracks ('My Vision', 'American Dream' and 'Ride the Storm') fit with this mood, and that's what makes this album work for me. Personally I'm getting a bit fed up with some of the brainless dance music that's pumped out these days.
Top song on this album has to be 'One Fine Day' - simply a beautiful piece of music. If you think it sounds similar to Air's 'You Make It Easy', that's because Beth Hirsch's heavenly vocals grace both songs. Wonderful stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Trip, 6 May 2008
Producer Dave Lee (better known as Joey Negro) has really set the tone here for a grand album that mixes snippets from a variety of film scores with the finest house beats and chilled grooves, to create an addictive odyssey of sounds. I sought this out for years, and it has not failed to disappoint. The production values are immense, and the music itself really has the power to create a range of moods. Kick back, relax, and listen to it in one go.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweeping melodys with a chilled sound, 25 Dec 2002
This review is from: Visions (Audio CD)
So, this really is an album of cinematic sweeping sounds. It falls right between the gap of chillout album and potential film soundtrack album. If you have liked albums such as Zero 7's Simple Things or Royksopp's Melody AM. then you will likely enjoy this album. With tracks including the classic 'American Dream' which everyone knows to 'The Other World' which sounds spookily like a piece from the Bond file 'On her Majesty's Secret Service' you get a album perfect for late night, early morning listening when you need to relax a little, but still get stuff done. Unfortunately it's not quite in the "Great Music To Have Sex To" league, but it's not too far off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jakatta - Visions, 1 Sep 2003
This review is from: Visions (Audio CD)
I've had been bumping into the odd Jakatta track on such works as Hed Kandi's ace Winter Chill double album, so I took the plunge. This album is a cinematic delight and a definite case of spot the film score sample. We have talents such as Thomas Newman, Gabriel Yared and John Barry sampled to perfect delight in a fusion of chilled out funky melodies. Barry isn't credited on "the other world" but anyone who has seen Diamonds are Forever will spot his trademark strings glowing like a beacon in the mist. If you are looking for a CD that you can put on for those lazy Sunday mornings, buy it buy it NOW!

5.0 out of 5 stars chilled, 22 Oct 2002
This review is from: Visions (Audio CD)
This is a chilled album, but in a very pretty way. The music is made up of many smooth layers with distinctive themes and patterns. It's quite cinematic in that a couple of themes reappear from time to time. There are lots of simple but sparkly piano loops.
My Vision is my favourite track, and there are two mixes on here; one the radio edit and the other a more acoustic and gentler mix.
If you liked any of the singles, you'll like this. It's a shimmery, summery, laid back album.

Visions
Visions by Jakatta (Audio CD - 2002)