5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant alternative to Windows!
I bought Linux because I was annoyed with win XP. This is my first time with Linux, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I have been plesantly surprised!
Instalation
Published on 1 Nov. 2002 by T J Collinson

1.0 out of 5 stars Raw and dissatisfactory
Being a Linux user/developer since mid/end-'90 and having seen and tried dozens of distros, I decided to support SuSE by bying their SuSE Linux 8.1 distribution. Unfortunately, it was a complete waste of money and loss of trust to "one of the most sucessful companies on the Linux market".
Although the package looks nice, its contents are under any criticism...
Published on 30 Dec. 2002 by g0rg

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant alternative to Windows!, 1 Nov. 2002
Instalation
Instalation was very quick and easy, it took only half an hour. It immediatly detected all my hardware too, which was nice. It insalled a boot manafger, too, so when I start up my PC I can select whether to load Linux or Win.
Performance
I'm using Linux now, if that tells you anything. There are certain Linux conventions that are different to Win, which makes them a bit tricky to get use to, but in the end they seem more logical than win.
I haven't had a crash yet, and don't expect to get any either - you can have as many windows as you like open without loosing performance.
Fixing problems is a lot easier than in Windows, too. Usually the problem can be fixed from the YAST control centre. If not, there is a huge help database that contains all known problems and how to fix them.
Look And Feel
It looks and feels better than Win, even XP. There are so many different styles to choose from. The desktop and icons are designed for high resolutions, so don't look pixilated like they do in Windows. All your programs are easly accessably too. There are 2 'Start Menues', one for your programmes, one for administration.
Value For money
For £55, inc P&P, you get everything you could want for a home or office computer. In comparison, all the software that comes with Linux would cost over £1000 if you bought MS equivalents. In most cases, the Linux versions are at least the equal of their MS counterpart, too.
Conclusion
SuSE Linux is ideal for anyone. Plain and simple. If your PC is reasonably new and has a large-ish hard drive Linux is perfect for anything. My plan is to use Linux for work, internet, music, etc. and Win for games. That is the only problem with Linux - if you want to use games, you'll need a copy of Win too, but you'll still save loads on office software if you use Linux and Win together.

5.0 out of 5 stars VAST Improvement over earlier Versions, 31 Jan. 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: SuSE Linux 8.1 Professional (CD-ROM)
I purchased this to replace an existing SuSE 7.0 and found it to be a vast improvement, roughly comparable to the differences between Win3.11 and Win95/98. Installation is slicker and much easier (and faster). An excellent bootloader is included in GRUB that enabled me to setup a straightforward boot where my PC boots by default into Windows 98SE for my wife and family without them needing to do a thing, yet I can bring up Linux by pressing a couple of keys. lilo was abysmal, I had to use a floppy to get my 7.0 system to load.
Hardware detection is excellent, It correctly detected my scanner, printer, USB Hub, ZIP250 and even the cradle for my Palm Pilot. The only device it failed to understand was the serial cable for my wife's Samsung T100 mobile. (7.0 could find none of these, it couldn't even get the model right for the monitor). It initially detected the DVD as a CD-ROM but a visit to the SuSE database and a 5 min fix corrected this.
There is a huge plethoria of software on the DVD and CD's but they do tend to be orientated towards the serious computer user rather than the casual one. This is fine for me since SuSE 8.1 and W98SE co-exist happily so I can use SuSE 8.1 for serious IT work and the kids can play games on Win98. KDE 3 is not yet as intuitive as the Windows GUI but is a vast improvement over earlier versions (and certainly over GNOME). Linux still is not quite the Microsoft Windows-killer that some people claim it to be but is now getting to be a serious alternative for many things....

5.0 out of 5 stars Suse 8.1 The best yet!, 6 Oct. 2002
S. Chisholm "sfchisholm" (Witney, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SuSE Linux 8.1 Professional (CD-ROM)
This is the best yet from Suse! The look and feel of kde 3 is on a par with mac os and XP. This is the first version of Suse which supports all off my hardware,only my speedtouch modem required extra work. Comes on 7 cds and one dvd which is great if you don't want to have to keep swapping disks. Also comes with grub bootloader which allows you to set linux or windows as the default os to boot. The online update works better than the last version, it downloaded the drivers for my geforce 4 and installed them with no problem.The web browser Opera 6.03 has been included in this version which isnt bad.As always the pro version has tons of software included which is where the dvd comes in handy for browsing through it. So now at last my pc works with Suse linux I can get down to the business of learning Linux and leave windows behind. Great job SUSE!

4.0 out of 5 stars SuSE - Good for servers, 6 Jun. 2003
This review is from: SuSE Linux 8.1 Professional (CD-ROM)
Well what can I say - I went from SuSE 7.3 Personal (and that wasn't bad) to this... and I thought the early version was good! The installation is superb, and SuSE finally got rid of LILO, instead GRUB is used to boot the system. Better on it's own system, as it likes to take over the show. I use SuSE 8.1 Pro networked into my Win XP Pro home network, it runs my web server, ftp server, mail server and my broadband service runs through it as an internet gateway. This is a true OS, much better than Windows Server Systems could ever be, and a fraction of the price. Well worth it - only 25!
SuSE is better for slightly experienced users, and therefore should be used by people familar with some commands. This is the reason I only give it 4 out of 5. It's perfect for me, but probably not for the Windows user migrating across, for that, you'll want Redhat, or even better - Mandrake 9.0 or above. Simple really - you like linux already - use this for all your needs, if your a novice - steer clear until you have a little experience - Mandrake would be your best bet. Hope this is useful guys!

5.0 out of 5 stars SuSE SuSE Sitting in the Computer Shop Shines, 5 Oct. 2002
Dorian Griffiths (Skelmorlie, North Ayrshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SuSE Linux 8.1 Professional (CD-ROM)
SuSE has delivered another goood distro which includes all the latest programs and kernel including support for USB2. Documentation is superb, and installation is easy and uick. Dump all other operating systems, this has every thing you need for business and home use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Splendid, 12 Jan. 2003
This review is from: SuSE Linux 8.1 Professional (CD-ROM)
This is yet another superb release from SuSE, who now offer the best distributions I've come across. Installation is easy, smooth, quick and reliable.
As a desktop system in its default form, it is perfectly satisfactory and is usefully inobtrusive for beginners. Anyone with any real experience with Linux will find customising the K desktop that SuSE offers to be a breeze. YaST 2 is a remarkably stable and reliable configuration tool, and is a key feature which newcomers often cite in their early experiences with using a GNU/Linux system. I personally think the online update feature has become somewhat cumbersome and top heavy, but the availability of software patches remains prompt and effective, with swift access to numerous FTP mirrors, making it easy to stay secure.
For a software professional, trying to sell Linux solutions, SuSE is a professional-looking product, which clients are keen to try out when first shown it. This is more than can be said for some distributions. For myself, it is now the only desktop system I now have for my home use.
Knock, knock, Neo... Follow the green lizard!

4.0 out of 5 stars SuSE 8.1 - Complete but inconsistent, 21 Jan. 2003
J. Stewart - See all my reviews
This review is from: SuSE Linux 8.1 Professional (CD-ROM)
I am an unashamed fan of SuSE and I have been running 8.0 for months so it was with great excitement that I started my upgrade to SuSE 8.1.
Initially the installer failed, due to a highly annoying bug with the instller when run from the DVD, then the upgraded package failed to start. Fortunately I had predicted this and made a backup of my home areas, I suggest you do the same.
The installer detected my hardware well and managed to get my sound card first time, however it failed to detect my parallel port scanner (supported under sane) and the dial-up configuration is a shambles, even the manual had a basic error in it which would be enough to stop a newbie getting reliable dial-up.
The install also detected my video card correctly and prompted me to download the NVidia driver for it, which it totally bolloxed up. Forcing me to download the source from NVidia and compile and patch myself. This now means that I have to re-compile the NVidia driver every time I do a system update. Which is a complete pain in the arse. The new version of YaST takes a bit of getting used to and if like me you are using a modem to connect to the internet you can expect a long wait for the first evening.
Its not all bad, the anti-aliasing on the desktop is fantastic, OpenOffice is near perfect, KDE is becoming very well rounded out, the mysql tools and HTML tools are brilliant. The email, web, ftp and newsgroup tools are superb. UnrealTournament 2003 screams on my system and stability is fantastic.
It is nice to see mplayer becoming a mainstream tool, however I prefer to have a version compiled on my box and the end result appears to be "lumpy" when playing DVDs, not something I had when I ran it unser SuSE8.0. As yet I have not diagnosed that one.
As per usual the distro is extremely complete with lots and lots of stuff to keep you occupied but for my money I would like to see SuSE focusing their attention on getting the install and tools as smooth as possible, perhaps including a tool to compile code but keep it within the YaST umbrella.
Speech synthesis is a semi-useful tool for me and the new version of SuSE cannot seem to compile speech_tools (part of the superb festival package), as an alternative mbrola provides some facilities but phoneme generation is still flaky as you seem to end up using very old tools to generate the codes.
If you are running 8.0 then sit pretty, I can see no compelling reason to upgrade, if you are 7.3 or lower then it is worth the leap but be prepared to spend a couple of evenings getting used to the new environment. If you use Windows then may your god have mercy on your concept of an afterlife.

1.0 out of 5 stars Raw and dissatisfactory, 30 Dec. 2002
This review is from: SuSE Linux 8.1 Professional (CD-ROM)
Although the package looks nice, its contents are under any criticism.
First of all, I found the legendary SuSE documentation (printed and electronic) to be inadequate. I could write pages about it, but let's leave it like that: for basic things it might be helpful, not for any close to advanced things.
The second thing is why we pay for the distro. It's a 90-day installation support. If any of you would buy this distro just because of free support, be careful and check the website for the complete listing on what's included in this "free installation support". The support is extremely slow (if your computer doesn't work as expected and you have an urgent necessity to do something, you will end up with installing whatever you are familiar with): it took more than one week to answer a simple question (the answer can be found on the support web too!). And the last one: most of the topics and issues covered by the "free installation support" you will find on the support web. In case of harder/non-standard problem you will get an answer of a sort "this is not covered by free support" (although it should be)...
Now about the distro itself. I found it inconsistent, amazingly unstable under heavy CPU and memory load, and SuSE operativeness in updating certain critical things (like security holes, KDE issues etc) is on the zero-level.
YaST2 is still very raw and incomplete product, sometimes unlogically structured. Although SuSE is claiming that you can tune almost all in your system using YaST, you can't.
Some annoying "features" of KDE in this distribution made me really mad.
And what about the kernel... You can't compile it even using the SuSE supplied config file. And please read the support claim, saying thet SuSE cannot guarantee and support the system with a self-compiled kernel. Sadly, bat it starts to look like M$ policy...
Conclusion: I have paid almost 60, used the distro for one month, tried the "free installation support", tested the distro under various loads and from the various point of views (complete novice, user, advanced, administrator) and found it extremely dissatisfactory, inconsistent, and raw.
The end of the story: I forgot about the money wasted, formatted the disk and installed a FREE Linux distro (I won't name it).
So think twice, get more information, maybe take a look at other distros (free, less expensive or more expensive), and decide yourselves.

1.0 out of 5 stars SuSE Linux Nightmare, 7 Feb. 2003
This review is from: SuSE Linux 8.1 Professional (CD-ROM)
Suse linux is probably the worst of the linux distro's, this version completely wiped windows 98 form my sytem even though i installed it it o the correct partition, useless YaST2 installation tools and bad GUI make it impossible to be used and installed by a novice, stupid system requirements make it useless for the older PC's or second PC's.
Buy Mandrake version 9 or Red Hat version 8 both much better in a respects.
Sorry SuSE

SuSE Linux 8.1 Professional
SuSE Linux 8.1 Professional by SuSE (Linux, Mac, Unix, Windows 2000 / 95 / 98 / Me / NT)
Used & New from: 24.99