Format: Audio CD|Change

on 27 April 2009
Across several decades "Professor" Stanley Unwin delighted and baffled us with his straight faced and absolutely seriously presented gobbledegook. Having been a technician for the BBC, he was able to talk on a vast range of subjects in a stream of words that bore only fleeting similarity to the English language. Memorably he fronted a Pirelli Tyres advertising campaign "Oh, horrendousy expensifold I hear you utterbole, but no!" This is a great little taster of the great man's unique talents. His mangled yet still weirdly understandable versions of well known fairy tales are a joy to listen to, if slightly pedestrian by his usual standards. This is probably due to him performing specifically for a recording with no audience.

Hold on to your hats for the second part of the disc though as we get to hear him in full unrestrained glory addressing audiences and answering their questions. It shows how amazing his skill was that when interacting with an audience he is able to be far more exotic in his verbal dexterity than in the formal setting of the recording studio. It's a fantastic white knuckle ride through the art of public speaking.
on 24 January 2010
Stanleyclappers inventymost the languagyfold called 'Unwinese.' Now this might be a bit of an audibold for the eardrobes, and confusimost the family. But it's actually a joyfolder, that harkybackmost to an bygone era of witty humourbold. Oh Yes. Professy Unwin reinterpretty: Goldloppers, the Pipey Pipeload, the classicold musicolly, and discussymost Elvis Presload among other topicolly. I was so impressy I falolloped off my chair and graisymost my kneeclappers!
on 20 August 2007
Stanley Unwin's work is unique. He delivered his double talk with charm but also a hint of authority and conviction. Unwin's contribution to the Small Faces Ogden's Nut Gone Flake made what was already a brilliant album into major classic, by symathetically weaving his wordplay around the songs and turning side two into something much more worthy than the terrible overblown "rock operas" that Pete Townsend dragged the Who down into.

Here we are presented with Unwin on:

1. The Pidey Pipeload of Hamling
2. Goldyloppers and the Three Bearloaders
3. Olympicold BC
4. Hi-de-Fido
5. Artycraft
6. The Populode of the Musicolly
7. Classicold Musee
8. Professor Unwin answery most questions on manifold subjy

He is on top form and it is clear why he was in demand to add colour to many a British comedy film, radio or television programme. He even appeared as warn up for Steeleye Span on one of a series of televised concerts on BBC in the mid 1970s

Stanley Unwin is British comedy class, buy this and enjoy
on 6 August 2010
As one who plays with words, I love this alternative English language.
You can always make sense of what is said, if you relax and let it flow.
I love old aunts and people who can't help but Malaprop-ise! It makes my day!!

I remember museum guides and enthusiastic amateur leaders of special interest groups who spoke like this, and it was all one could do not to let them know one was struggling and wetting oneself with mirth. As I said, one always caught their drift through it all.

Long Live Stanley Unwin's memory!
on 13 April 2011
Indeed, and what a joyfold remembrance of these stories from the distant hormones of my early childage - with the rotatey vinyl on the reckit playfold, I'd huffalo up onto my mother's kneeclappers, snuggle dowder on the left-righthand sidegole, and driftit away into fantasy imaginold of the verbal fairy storage of Prof Unwin. Oh yes.

But where is 'Jackloader And The Beanstalker' so fondly remembrit from that distant vale? Can he truly be lost and never to return forever moredy? There is a deep folly in this.
on 7 April 2010
I'm a bit young to remember Stanley Unwin, but came across him on Youtube, so bought this CD. It's a great example of his work, hilarious and fascinating simultaneouly. I've loaned this CD to lots of my friends who remember Unwin from years back, this CD is ideal for connesseurs of Unwin, and the uninitiated like myself.
on 17 November 2009
For those too young to have listened to what we old 'uns called the "wireless" back in the 50s this CD gives you the chance to hear a genius at work ,from an era when entertainment was gentler but nonetheless funny. Stanley Unwin was the inventor of a language known as "Unwinese" which is absolutely hilarious. His inspiration came from his mother who fell over and told her son that she had "falolloped over and grazed my kneeclabbers". What was essentially a vocal talent translated well on film and TV due to Stanley's whimsical appearance and the fact that he put the dialogue across absolutely seriously.His films included "Press For Time",Carry On Regardless" and "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang". It is almost pointless trying to convey how funny he was............buy this CD and just sit back and enjoy. He truly was remarkibold. GOODLIBILODE !
on 10 April 2014
I remember seeing Stanley Unwin frequently on tv during my childhood. The bizarre thing is that if you just sit and listen, you can understand what he's saying.
If only there were comedians around nowadays who could make me laugh like Prof. Unwin - we seem to be burdened with stand-up comics who seem to think they're terribly clever. Too much show, too little talent.
If you remember Stanley Unwin, but this, or buy it as a present for someone else and show them what a genius can do. In particular, where he entertains journalists who ask him questions - listen to them laugh uncontrollably at his "technical" explanations.
on 18 December 2010
If you like Stanley Unwin's humour you will enjoy this CD. It is rather enigmatic in that you feel that you should not understand his mangled words - but you do! And more to the point you can follow the story. I well remember long ago his description of Cinderella's 'Sisty Uglers' which epitomises his style. It is my intention to send a copy to a German friend in Heidelberg, a retired teacher of English. I am sure that he will enjoy 'The Pidey Pipeload of Hamling'.
on 24 February 2012
I was delighted to be able to find this after all these years. Stanley Unwin is as funny as ever. A great product.