5.0 out of 5 stars Music for lovers lost and found., 20 Feb 2003
Mr. M. L. Hawes "Mitchmusic" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Lowedges (Audio CD)
Richard Hawley, the occasional guitarist with Pulp, returns with his follow to Late Night Final, in superb style.
What a songrwriter we have on our hands. Forget, modernism, Don't ask Richard to push back the boundaries of music, just sit back and let each and every one of these classic love songs wash over you.
If you've ever loved and lost, this will be sweet honey to your beaten ears. From the opening chords of the first track to the closing beats of the final line, every word is soothing, every note, carefully chosen to take the listener into Richards' oh so mellow world.
For the unititiated, this is a collection of beautiful ballads wrapped in beautiful music with a wonderful vocalist.
One of the albums of the year and possibly his best to date.
A masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crooning Glory, 7 Feb 2003
Tony Floyd "Travis Pickle" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Lowedges (Audio CD)
The ads say this album is “massively awaited”. An understatement I’m sure for all the Richard Hawley fans out there who can’t get enough of this mean, moody and magnificent singer-songwriter. This new collection continues to showcase Hawley’s luxurious croon in classic rock n roll ballad settings familiar to those happy owners of his previous offerings (one full length album, Late Night Final, and the eponymous debut mini album) but with ever greater depth and coherence than before. This makes it sound retro, and it is, but it’s also timeless and just plain lovely. You’ll hear words like brooding, haunting, lilting and such like applied to it, no doubt, but that’s because Lowedges is all these, and that’s why I use them myself below.
If you’re not familiar with his work consider yourself severely chastised and get with the programme. Fans of Scott Walker, recent Nick Lowe, and Morrissey and Edwyn Collins at their most croonsome should enjoy this CD, plus devotees of instrumental duo Santo and Johnny will recognise their influence in the lilting guitar lines. The magnificent opening track, ‘Run For Me’ is a chugging, rumbling, brooding, soaring, and yet intimate epic. Next up is Darlin’ which is little more than Hawley’s honeyed tonsils drawling out the word “Darlin” over a pristinely simple and ghostly slide guitar. If you don’t like either of these two tracks then begone oaf, and don’t bother with the rest of the CD because it’s too good for the likes of you. The rest of us can just drift off into a reverie of timeless tunes that sound like underwater lullabies sung by a lovelorn, leather jacketed, golden throated romantic as he stands beside his silhouetted motorcycle on a twilit shore.

5.0 out of 5 stars Working Backwards!!, 3 Sep 2006
Mr. V. Stapleton "G6120BS" (Kent UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lowedges (Audio CD)
After buying Coles Corner,(a fantastic album by the way)I thought I'd give this one a bash and wasn't disappointed. Lowedges is a more intimate record without the strings, but still full of beautifully crafted songs.Even though Mr Hawley is Country,Rock n Roll influenced,I still think he's got his own sound, like Brian Setzer has his own Rockabilly sound. Buy and Judge for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential, 24 Sep 2003
This review is from: Lowedges (Audio CD)
There's no way round it - if you have a heart and live in the 21st century and care for music and love and how the two swing and depend on each other so much then you simply have to buy this album. When I first heard it I thought 'christ its Edwyn Collins all over again' but then Richard's voice and those melodies[ ah those melodies !] start to take a hold and before you know it your waking up every morning with his songs in your head or dancing around the room with your wee daughter to the strings of 'The Night is made for Us'. Wonderful. Close your eyes and you'll see one of those old carousels spinning in the dusky sheffield light. Pure Magic!

4.0 out of 5 stars High points and low edges, 7 Sep 2006
This review is from: Lowedges (Audio CD)
"Lowedges" was another triumph for Richard Hawley. Although it sadly only sold about 5 copies.

The sound is slightly bigger in places here than on "Late Night Final." The songs are still strong, particularly the excellent "You Don't Miss Your Water..."

Overlooked and under-rated. A very good album.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real 5 star essential album, 27 Sep 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Lowedges (Audio CD)
I was originally put off this album by comparisons made to Scott Walker, Roy Orbison and Leonard Cohen. I don't know, they're just not my kind of artists. It all looked to me like some horrible, gloomy, cod-cabaret album...a deep baritone voice projected over some tinkly cocktail music. No thanks.
Of course, I was wrong - terribly, ashamedly wrong...and I apologise. I should have known better. When people whose opinion you respect start muttering about Hawley being one of Britain's best "undiscovered" song-writers you should really pay attention. I really wish I had a lot sooner.
So I missed out for all this time on this music, this gorgeous, brilliant, emotional, devastating music. It's fantastic. It sounds like nothing else being released today. How cool is that? Do you want MORE bands that sound like Joy Division and Echo and the Bunnymen? No thanks, not for me. This is stuff that sounds like it actually matters, that it has some real meaning and weight behind it. It's fantastic...these amazing songs that I just have to play every day. When did you last buy an album you had to play everyday? It's a great feeling isn't.
I love this album - I strongly recommend you try and check it out.

5.0 out of 5 stars The neon hotel sign shimmers through the window..., 22 Feb 2003
Dubash "citykix" (Copenhagen, Danmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lowedges (Audio CD)
I waited with eager anticipation for this masterwork...and what a grand and gracious exercise in beauty and twangy charm it is. Am I cruising through the Texas Panhandle on Route 66, or is this Sheffield? For those uninitiated, imagine Chris Issak ramming his 18-wheeler into the Santo & Johnny Roadshow tour bus, with Leonard Cohen driving, and Morrissey & Johnny Marr (in younger days) asleep in their bunks...out of the grizzled and charred remains would be drift the soul of Richard Hawley clinging to the mastertapes of "Lowedges". Is there music being made like this anywhere on the planet in 2003? America's country world has long been seduced down the Shania Mutt Lange path of over produced glitz, and has there been a decent Shadows album in the last twenty years? This sounds instantly fresh and retro simultaneously...could appeal to anyone who cares for haunting melodies by a sombre and melancholy Cohen/Walker/Mozzer-esque vocalist who creates a textured guitar paradise of 6, 12, pedal steel and Hawaiians...sit back and drift down the open highway.

4.0 out of 5 stars Richard Hawley - what a find!, 29 July 2007
HH (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lowedges (Audio CD)
I heard a track from Mr. Hawley recently and just knew I would like his stuff! This album is just so easy to listen to - it feels like you have listened to it before right from the very first play. Yes, the erratic audio quality leaves a bit to be desired, but the material is outstanding. I am converted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can this fellow make a bad record?, 13 Nov 2007
This review is from: Lowedges (Audio CD)
Richard Hawley has become one of my favourite artists. I bought first Coles Corner, then the other three. At first I thought that Lowedges was worse than his brothers, but I kept on putting it on my player. After a few weeks I found myself singing along with delight, like with the others. I think Mr. Hawley couldn't make a bad CD, even trying hard. His musicianship is superb, he has an excellent instinct for musicmaking, and every song of this set is damn good. My favourite is "You don't miss your water", with Mr. Hawley singing in a higher pitch than usual, but still with a great style. But the epic "Run for me" that opens the CD is wonderful, "Darlin'" is a song as charming as you can get (AND THAT GUITAR IN THE MIDDLE!!), "Oh my love" is a Roy Orbison-esque crescendo, and the rest of the songs are, I'll repeat it, damn good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lowedges: Richard Hawley - The nights are made for this, 8 Feb 2013
Victor (Hull, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Lowedges (Audio CD)
This 2003 album, the third solo release from one of Britain's most underrated artists, is a melancholic feast for the ears. As always with his music it is music for the night time alone with a glass of some spirit to wash away the taste of bitter regret. It's beautiful in it's sadness. There is a feeling that Hawley has taken great pride in making sure that every word and note is justified and required, and ensuring that each is perfectly placed. It's one of those really well honed and crafted records that just grabs the soul. 5 stars.

Lowedges
Lowedges by Richard Hawley (Audio CD - 2003)