5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece ahead of it's time!
Note: This review is for this DVD edition of 'Straw Dogs': Straw Dogs [1971] [DVD], which has the full movie uncut, it has been digitally remastered and can be watched in widescreen. The DVD is quite basic, there are no extras at all, no subtitles, and the only option on the menu is to 'Play Film'. I would say that the DVD release would probably rate three stars...
Published 5 months ago by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible blu-ray picture quality
This is a great film. It isn't going to be everybody's cup of tea due to its graphic scenes, but it is intelligent and has stood the test of time well. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for this new blu-ray 'remaster'. The picture quality is appalling, with contrast pushed up so high that whites are bleached out and blacks lose all detail. And colours have been...
Published on 16 Nov 2011 by Mr. J. C. Kent

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars No Stars but I had to give it one to get the review through., 2 Mar 2013
As many reviews here state, the picture quality of this so called restored version is absolutely awful, it's amaturish and looks like the work of an unsupervised trainee who is too young to understand anything about the atmosphere of this very well made film which I will say is 'of it's time'.

I am so appalled by the quality I am returning the dvd even though it has the special features disc. I have now ordered the 2002 release as there are no reviews derrogatory to the image quality.

I feel strongly that Amazon should refuse to sell this 40th anniversary version until the manufacturer has transferred the film in its original colour and not push up the contrast so much as to bleach out the whites and take out any detail in the blacks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of the US blu-ray, 18 Dec 2011
The US blu-ray only has a trailer and TV spots as extras.

The UK blu-ray has lots of extras including commentaries, a vintage featurette, retrospective interviews etc.

But the US blu-ray is far superior to the UK release because it has such an excellent transfer. I can't begin to describe how poor the UK transfer is in comparison to the US one.

If you love this film, don't put up with the awful UK transfer. The US blu-ray is the only way to view the film, and looks superb.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Film, Terrible Blu-ray, 1 Nov 2011
J. M. Booth (New Zealand) - See all my reviews
There is a very good selection of extras on this Blu-ray. Sadly the picture is a pain. The contrast has been increased so that much detail is lost, especially in the light areas. The blacks are either a deep blue or green, and faces often look like they have been processed on an old colour photocopier. Fremantle's before and after restoration shows up the faults in the Blu-ray! The unrestored image is more naturalistic and pleasing to watch.

The very good news is that whilst not having the wealth of extras that Fremantle's Blu-ray has the American MGM Blu-ray of Straw Dogs has a wonderful picture quality. In this version the colours are natural, darks dark etc etc.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Powerful Classic, 25 Oct 2011
S. Broadbent "cyberspaceexpress" (Devon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A true classic, Straw Dogs is a tale about a young married couple [Dustin Hoffman & Susan George] who move to Cornwall for the safe, quiet, rural life.
However events soon turn ugly, at first just intimidation which slowly escalates.
The film culminates with some local thugs laying siege to their cottage and Hoffman finding levels of violence he didn't know he was capable of.
The film is tightly directed by Sam Peckinpah and whilst clearly dated now, it is still compelling viewing.
The Blu-ray quality is unimpressive but the disc was loaded with a host of really great extras. The story of the battle just to get this film a video release is well worth reading and quite an eye opener.
Overall this film is a must for any film fan and is a real icon of its era.

1.0 out of 5 stars Anyone for 8MM or Super 8 Home Movie Film, 17 July 2012
MelAus (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
This UK Blu-ray (Fremantle) release is an absolute disgrace.

The for-going reviews point out and adequately describe the problems, but to reiterate in a different way, this Blu-ray version should never have hit the shelves.

It is so bad, the film company should really withdraw it from sale and offer a apology to all who have purchased it.

I can without doubt justify my comments.......I actually by mistake also ordered the current Blu-ray of this title from Amazon USA and whilst maintaining the quality of what would be expected for a film product of this type and era, it is fine and well worth the upgrade to BR compared with what has been available in all countries over the years.
Before retiring, I worked for 40 years in all technical areas of television in-house and outside production and to see something put the market looking like this leaves me amazed to put it as sincerely as possible.

How the USA release, which by the way is region free, is so much better in picture quality is worthy of investigation. It's perhaps a lesson to us all to attempt to find out in advance before making a Blu-ray purchase in the flavour of wanting to enjoy classic movies again as we may have in the cinemas way back.

2.0 out of 5 stars not the best restoration, 15 Dec 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Whilst the sound is marginally clearer than my previously bought DVD version of this film, the Fremantle blu-ray isn't an overall improvement on the DVD release so I feel unable to recommend this version of "Straw Dogs".

I've given the film 2 stars due to the bad transfer, not the quality of Peckinpah's original film and the extras in this edition (which don't appear on the DVD version I own). If you already own this film on DVD, it's not enough of an improvement to warrant a purchase on blu-ray, and if you don't own the film, stick to the DVD version.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Poor Picture, 21 Nov 2011
Coincidence Vs Fate - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As others have pointed out the "remastered" version of this classic film is truly woeful. The blacks are mushy and lack details and the whites...well, the whites look like they've been washed with Tide! A true bluey whiteness. Appalling.

The film itself is brilliant, if a little intense, particularly in the realistic rape scenes with Susan George, but unfortunately, all the power of the film have been stripped by the awful transfer. Shame.

2.0 out of 5 stars Classic film, very bad remaster, 20 Nov 2011
Klingsor (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This classic film doesn't need any special recommendation. It should be on everybody's '100 films to see before you die' list. A lot of water has gone under the cinematic bridge in the last 40 years and after the ban on home viewing in 1984 we have it back in our shops and homes. Better proof of how our sensitivities have changed in the meantime is not needed. And we had one Quentin Tarantino to help us accepting that graphic violence can be just as filmic as good camera work or a good script.

So, I'm not going to waste any words on the film itself. What a shame that now when we can get this film into our domestic blu ray players, the remastering of the picture is so bad. I was so disappointed that I couldn't really enjoy the film. It is 40 years old, but having such a bad presentation is not an excuse. I can't recommend this issue, it left me frustrated after being so excited that I'm going to own it on blu ray.

One star on extra features, just in case anyone was wondering what the fuss was all about, it's all there, plenty of useful stuff and even complete articles and letters. It's really not a very good release when I far more enjoyed browsing through extra features than watching the film itself.

1.0 out of 5 stars some things are better left alone........................., 14 Nov 2011
laineyf "widnes" (warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Straw Dogs was a controversial movie in the 70's, and was banned by censors as being too violent for viewing. I watched the film many years ago, and whilst I did find it to be disturbing, I think the ban just made the film far more sought after than it deserved to be. It's NOT a great film, in my opinion. Of course, the rape scene caused a furore, but remember, it WAS the 70's. Many of the films which were banned at that time, when viewed now are unremarkable. All I can say about the Blu-ray is - why bother? The film hasn't transferred well to Blu-ray, the quality is poor, the clarity is poor, and to be honest, it's not a film that demands a place in most people's collection. If you like it, great - I didn't.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad transfer, 12 Nov 2011
A.M.Boughey "Poetmaster" (Rochester, MN) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Straw Dogs like a lot of movies in the 70's and 80's were surrounded by controversy. Getting banned, and having scenes heavily cut by the censors only served (as usual)to propel them into a cult status, and become very popular.
In the case of Straw Dogs, it's a pretty darn good movie that still holds up well, so much so that the remake was released in September of this year.

The film itself has many reviews, so from here I am focusing on the BLU RAY SPECIFICALLY

Firstly, what's up Amazon??? I know Vine products are free for us to review and keep, but not even a box for the movie, this came in a cardboard sleeve??

Secondly what happened to the Blu Ray transfer?? I remember the movie was dark, as in very much filmed at night to add to the atmosphere, but this copy is bad.
I also don't accept the "well it's 40 years old" argument, not when you look at the mind blowing job the did with Zulu [Blu-ray] [1964][Region Free] which was even older.
Thirdly, don't give me a "40th Anniversary super duper edition" and then have a cheap crappy transfer job. This should have been remastered.

I gave two stars for the product NOT the movie. It's a shame, doesn't do this piece of iconic cinema justice.

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›

Straw Dogs [1971] [DVD]
Straw Dogs [1971] [DVD] by Sam Peckinpah (DVD - 2002)