5.0 out of 5 stars Feel good fun in a dream like movie
I'll start bluntly by saying that I'm a man. That's to no surprise, as you've guessed from my username, but I just thought i'd point this out as the lads I know have laughed at me for buying this on DVD, believing it to be more of a chic flic. All I can say is, Screw them! I've loved this film since I was a kid!
The 80's was a... hmm, 'diverse' time for films. You...
Published on 31 Dec 2007 by Picard

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm not making it up, I'm insane.....
Jon is a young artist, but he just doesn't seem to last in any job he does. But when he builds a mannequin, he makes it so perfect, he falls in love with it.

It is the first thing he has made that makes him feel like a real artist.

The mannequin ends up in the window of a big department store. When he saves the life of the owner of that store, he is...
Published 11 days ago by Mr. Corey S. Newcombe

5.0 out of 5 stars Feel good fun in a dream like movie, 31 Dec 2007
Picard (USS Enterprise) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Mannequin [1987] [DVD] (DVD)
The 80's was a... hmm, 'diverse' time for films. You look at such momentous movies, and then their is the selection towards the end of the decade that could be cheesy enough to make a mouse fat. However, I want to make it clear that I love cheesy films, despite certain peoples arrogance towards them because they take them too seriously (their own fault). But of course, their is no escaping the fact that Mannequin falls into the category of borderline criminal when it comes to amateur acting. From the many times i've watched it however over the past decade or so, I can recall this being the only 'cringing' part of the film. But hey, that's what makes a good cheesy film! Why didn't they just create a separate genre for films like these?
The plot has always for me had a real awe about it - something you can go to bed at night dreaming about, because it's so special. Unfortunately, in low budget style, it's a rushed animation during the credits that reveals how Emmy became a 'Mannequin', but rest assured it has never made an impact on how I've watched this film! To be honest, it would have still been nice even if Emmy the Mannequin had just suddenly come to life. But the writers decided that her origins lay back in Egypt; 2000 and something years B.C. With the haziness of these peoples history, the story tells us that Emmy has the power to go back and forth through and time, and that eventually, she ended up in 1987 in the form of a Mannequin, where the film starts.
But rather than being thrown into the deep end, we get to grips with the cast of characters. Andrew McCarthy plays a very luckless, and indeed jobless Johnathon Switcher, who's having trouble 'keeping' a job rather than getting them. As he suggests later on in a job interview, "I've had all the work experience possible".. I might try that one time! While McCarthy does a descent effort playing the young man who wants a creative and aspiring job, he has one of those faces that makes you keep thinking he reminds of you someone. Never mind, it must be a personal thing!
His seemingly 'lasting' job finally arrives when he saves the life of the store owner of one of the towns leading department stores, and the humble 'oldish' woman gives him a place in the store dishing out goods on the rails.
So where does the Mannequin come into it, you're probably wondering. Well with some 'dummy making' experience under his belt, Johnathon simply can;t help but want to fiddle around in the front window, playing with the dummies. Enter the incredibly beautiful Kim Catrall (I think she is anyway!) as one of the mannequins springs to life...
From here on, you could say it's much of a ride, so I won't spoil the fun. The reason I love Mannequin though is simply because of its dream-like story. The film doesn't step foot on the boundaries of violence or similar themes, but keeps a hold of that sense of danger. With Emmy only coming to life when no-ones looking at her except Johnathon, it brings a romantic and lustful feel to it in times of panic, and when they're alone. And with most of their activities being held inside the store at night, with the whole place a playground for them, its the stuff dreams are made of.
What's more, it has something no modern film can... that synthy 80's soundtrack! As a DJ myself, I would do "anything" to live in the 80's as an older teen/adult, and be in clubs back when they were safer, dancing and playing such great music. For the film, it brings a good feeling and of course, adds a bit of nostalgia. Long live the 80's!
I don't care if my dad the sad old git hates cheesy films like this, I absolutely love them! Mannequin is to me, the ultimate feel good film, and it'll send you to bed with happy thoughts in your own world :o)

5.0 out of 5 stars All TIme Great, 21 Jan 2004
James Cameron "Artist / Filmmaker / Nerd" (a world of my own) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mannequin [1987] [DVD] (DVD)
Okay, I admit it...this is my 2nd all time fave film. I've ben watching it since I was a kid and love it!!! This werid but wondefully funny romantic comedy about a drop out artist & what happens when a store window mannequin which he built, fell in love with, and can't seem to get over; comes to life!
Kim catrall is at her acting best as Emmy, an Eyptian who has been bouncing around time looking for her one true love. Andrew McCarthy is wonderfull as the slightly bumbling Jonathan Switcher. James Spader makes one of his rare comic appearances as McCarthy's boss, and a wondefull supporting cast makes this a must have chick-flick!!!
All I can say is buy it now!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my all-time favourites - OUTSTANDING!!!, 8 Jan 2001
This review is from: Mannequin (VHS Tape)
I've read many reviews of the supposedly awful Mannequin, and how refreshing it was to discover that I wasn't the only one who thought it was brilliant!!! Mannequin is a hugely enjoyable, very funny, massively original film, which appeals to the old romantic in us all. Mannequin benefits immensely from the lovely on-screen chemistry supplied by the charming Andrew McCarthy (you can't NOT like him) and the ever-smiling Kim Cattrall, in the lead roles as love-struck, window-dressing genius Jonathan Switcher and reincarnated Egyptian princess turned mannequin, Emmy. There's a wonderfully over-the top performance provided by Meshach Taylor as 'Hollywood' and the slapstick pairing of Felix the security guard and the super-smarmy Richards, is pure, on-screen magic. This film has it all - great performances, a sing-along soundtrack, an original plot, villains you love to hate, someone for both the guys and girls to swoon over, even an exciting finale, with huge smackings of comedy, romance and fantasy. Mannequin has a definite feel-good factor - guaranteed to lift you out of your depression, singing along to those infamous closing credits, with a massive smile on your face. Yes, it's predictable, slightly tacky and has a few, real-cringe-worthy moments - yet that just enhances the enjoyment of this typically 80s movie. It's not Oscar-winning, high-brow stuff yet with the magical combination mentioned above, loads of laugh out loud moments and a happy ending sure to get you sniffling - who cares?!?!?!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazon really should listen to their customers, 9 Oct 2009
This review is from: Mannequin [1987] [DVD] (DVD)
Reading the Amazon.co.uk reviews you'd think this was one of the worst films ever: it's not. When my kids were small they wore out the VHS tape of it, and although now long grown up and left home they rushed to buy this when it came out on DVD.

It is cheerful, funny, decorative, has a coherent (if unbelievable) plot and above all has real a 'feel-good' essence about it. It is a lovely modern fairy tale. No wonder it has turned into a cult classic.

And it is certainly one of the best and most popular things that Kim Catrall has ever done.

The poor review given by Amazon's reviewers say far more about them than about the film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally Brilliant, 16 Feb 2010
Ms. H. C. Carney (england, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mannequin [1987] [DVD] (DVD)
Adore this movie. Saw it once on telly, and fell in love with it.
Kim Catrall is fantastic in her role, as is Andrew McCarthy.
Many reviews already sell the plot, so won't mention here again.
Such a feel good 80's movie with funky music that'll have you singing for days. Recommend for all ages. Be silly not to buy at that price! Enjoy :)

5.0 out of 5 stars The definitive romance set in your typical 80's shop window!, 20 Mar 2000
This review is from: Mannequin (VHS Tape)
This film personifies everything about the 80's. If you loved the decade, you will love this Michael Gottlieb film. Starring Kim Cattrall as the shop mannequin that comes alive when only a bemused Andrew McCarthey can see her, this wonderful romance story will touch the hearts of every 80's fanatic. The film has it's faults, and those who don't love it for it's wonderful feel-good appeal, will find the film very tacky. But, forgetting critics' cynicism and ignoring the film's errors, this film can only leave audiences with a warm glow of satisfaction from watching it. And, don't ignore the soundtrack either. With songs such as the classic 'Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now' by Starship and a masterpiece by Belinda Carlisle - 'In My Wildest Dreams', you really can't go wrong!
If you're feeling down and out, stick a copy of this film into your VCR, and give yourself a good cheering up! I heartily recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Greatest Motion Picture Of All Time, 10 Mar 2000
This review is from: Mannequin (VHS Tape)
Without a doubt, the fantasy tale of 'guy-meets girl-and-has-to-work-real-hard-to-get-her' has never been achieved better than in this wonderful Michael Gottlieb film. This film is funny and emotional, with an incredible on screen chemistry between Andrew McCarthy and Kim Cattrall. The somewhat harsh review from the amazon.co.uk writer does not teach you the spell binding atmosphere that is within the film. The soundtrack fits perfectly; and who will ever forget the hit 'Nothing's gonna stop us now' from Starship. I fell in love with Kim Cattrall when I saw this movie, and have fallen in love with my original copy of the film. Ignore the critics. Trust a person that loves his films. I would recommend this film to anyone who has a sense of romance, fantasy and humour inside of them. This film will touch all those senses, and more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mannequin, 8 Aug 2003
This review is from: Mannequin [1987] [DVD] (DVD)
This is one of my all time favourite movies. Its a feel good movie, and at the end has you singing the theme tune at the top of your voice. I totally love it, and I am not being sarcastic when I write this. Its a classic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic 80s, 12 Dec 2009
This review is from: Mannequin [1987] [DVD] (DVD)
Well I TOTALLY disagree with the official review. This film is brilliant! Sure the storyline is a little weird but it's fun and light hearted. I just love 'Holly Wood' his camp character has me in stitches every time. I love the setting of the department store- gives sense of time gone by. Also love the bulldog- what's there not to like about this film?

4.0 out of 5 stars You would be a dummy not to enjoy this !?, 8 Feb 2007
This review is from: Mannequin [1987] [DVD] (DVD)
Well this film certainly brings back the 80's !? It is a cheese-laden rom com with a boyish lead (McCarthy)and a sexy heroine (Cattral).

Each character is a camp sensation ! Over acting, silly lines, slapstick comedy, boppy electro music and a completely non-plausible story ! It's fabulous !

The BEST thing in this film, however, is the extremely watchable and totally quotable Hollywood Montrose !? He makes Dale Winton look like Arnold Shwarzenegger !? He is hilarious ! A tip for anyone who would like to see more of Hollywood........ try and get hold of Mannequin On The Move (prob via ebay - only on VHS). This sequel basically is a carbon copy story line of the original, except Hollywood gets more of a look in and will have you in stitches !!?? "Ah-ha honey, Momma put the coins on my eyes cos I surely cant believe what I am seeing !!??"

Dont take this film seriously, watch it on a girly night in with a glass of wine and some nibbles and your laughing !!

Mannequin [1987] [DVD]
Mannequin [1987] [DVD] by Michael Gottlieb (DVD - 2003)
3.89