VINE VOICEon 9 February 2005
This tool is small and extremely easy and quick to use, easier to store than a lense cloth and easier to use quickly and put back away, both of these factors make it perfectly designed for photographing on the go. It is designed like a pen, one end with a soft brush that retracts into the housing to save from being ruined in storage, the other side is a moisture-chemical pad that you wipe over the lense to clean. The size of the moisture tip is about the size of a five-penny coin so its big enough to be used quickly. Superb.
0Comment|150 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 March 2008
I've been using these for a few years, and buy a couple a year. I shoot for a living, doing a lot of work out and about, and these little pens are great for getting rid of thumb smudges or more commonly, the build up of residue from rain drops and mist that sometimes end up on the end of the glass. They are almost magical in the way they clean the lens without leaving any residue. The cap seems to contain a moist pad in the bottom that must refresh the cleaning tip, but it always comes out ready for more! It takes a lot of crud before these things stop working, and I'v never left a visible scratch or mark on a surface through using these. Far less agro than messing about with a lens cloth.
11 comment|107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 June 2004
I accidentally touched my new canon camera lens, and then tried to clean it with a common cloth. Instead of cleaning it, it smeard the whole lens, and the pictures were also not turning out as sharp as before. Just got this lens cleaner today, and tried it on my camera. It has made the surface of my camera shine just as its new again. Unbelievably good. Highly recommended.
0Comment|99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 November 2013
It was supposed to be a "Hama"; a company that can be found when googled. In fact the make of this is a "Ulata"; cant find that on google! Also included in the same price (and packaging) is an air blower and a little bit of microfibre cloth. This despite the description saying the package only contained a pen.

The product was late and because the overall cost is only a few quid I dont intend to return it.

And finally there is a really odd smell eminating from it.... very weird. I dont know about the quality of the product as this is a wee extra to go into a christmas present. Despite the extras, because of the late delivery (by a few days), the product not as described, and the weird smell, it's only getting 1 star.
on 20 July 2012
This pen has caused a circular abrasion on the objective lens of my £1000 Leica Ultravid binoculars when using the felt cleaning part. Use at your own risk. I have now purchased a high quality sigma cleaning cloth and have no problems with this on any of my optics.
on 22 August 2012
Not sure if this is just a faulty item or a bad product in general but I seem to have had the same problems as a lot of other reviewers. The brush end easily lost it's bristles and the other end left a black greasy stain that was difficult to remove. I can appreciate that this might be the "cleaning fluid" but when it is black coloured and makes it more dirty than it was to begin with then it is an epic fail in my book! Will be looking for a replacement asap.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 22 February 2011
Lens cleaning pens are an invaluable accessory for the photographer and should feature in every camera bag. How does Hama's basic product fare? Well, as with all lens cleaning pens, you get a nice soft retractable brush at one end (for dust, sand etc) and, when you pull the cap off the other end, there's a circular pad for cleaning smears and finger prints (with the Amazon Basics version which is an alternative and very similar you get the added bonus of an angled pad as well - not that that is a particularly essential addition) As with all lens cleaning systems, make sure your lens is dry first otherwise you'll make matters a whole lot worse. It's fine as it goes and a useful item to have.

But:

Unlike some systems (and not necessarily more expensive ones - I'll come to that in a bit) the pads don't have any cleaning solution input (some get a gentle soaking when not in use) although I've never found that to be particularly useful and in fact can lead to smears. Secondly, there's no cap to the brush end, so in time, dust etc can build up in even the most well kept of camera bags and if you are not careful you end up adding more than you take away. It's not a deal breaker either but you need to make sure the brush stays clean.

Some customers of the Amazon Basics version have complained that there are no instructions - I've never really worked out why you'd need them for such a basic product, but for those keen, Hama do provide instruction on the rear of the packaging.

Saying all that, it's well built and useful, but my advice is check out other products too - if, when you are looking, this is the lowest cost, then you'll be quite satisfied with it and it certainly works and will fit into even the most crowded camera bag with ease.
on 11 February 2009
Having read the other reviews, I purchased this to accompany my first SLR (Canon EOS 50D). The pen is the size of a permanent marker and has done a fantastic job with both my EOS SLR and my IXUS pocket camera.

I've had this about two months now and the felt tip effortlessly cleans my lens filter surface with out smearing and the retractable brush head is soft and a great tool for cleaning dust away. The pen was particularly handy on a recent trip to Cuba where it was quite dusty and the circular head of the felt tip meant I could clean precisely around the lens circumference and viewfinder.

For anyone reading this I would recommend you buy this for 3 reasons

1) compact - fits neatly into my camera bag (crumpler) along side a spare battery and memory card with no extra bulk
2) protected - brush retracts and felt tip has a lid (unlike a cloth)
3) pen is a tried and tested item in my view.

My only complaint is that it would have been nice if Hama could have provided an additional felt tip for a few extra £s to save having to buy a whole new pen.
on 7 January 2014
This product is not, as advertised, the genuine HAMA product which is, I believe, not legal selling practice in the EU. Product is cheap imitation, smells of strong solvents and does not clean as a lens pen should. Won't use it as it is likely to damage lens rather than clean.
Complained to seller who refunded the money and then asked me to remove negative review (which Amazon has not published). I won't do that because I feel that genuine customer reviews are essential to prevent further customers being disappointment. Also, I don't see why I should remove a negative feedback if it's a true reflection of the product and not malicious rumour.
I hope that Amazon will publish this review to keep credibility of customer review practice.
on 20 June 2009
I did not know how dirty my lenses were until I used this product.

The pen looks and feels quite tacky but it is a great piece of kit which now goes everywhere my camera bag goes. Its overall size is quite compact. At one end you have a retractable brush which is great for flicking dust and dirt off lenses and cleaning out the threads, where mischievous particles can lurk. I found it most effective to use the brush in combination with a blower.

The other end of the pen is a soft pad which is dabbed in some sort of cleaning agent held in the cap. This can be used to wipe clean smears and stubborn dirt from the glass by making small circular motions, like a spirograph. On one occasion I found the pen left a trail of tiny dust particles but I simply put the cap back on, gave it a half-circle twist, and tried again. The dirt vanished very quickly!

The pen is versatile and I have successfully used it to clean the lens on my camera phone, as well as various LCDs and touch screens. It does not appear to have affected the coatings on any of them.

One note of caution... the brush is some kind of nylon or other artificial fibre. I would suggest that you never attempt to brush your DSLR's sensor with it since there is some potential for static discharge.

All in all, this is a great product. No worrying about cleaning solutions, and at least as effective as a lens cloth. Highly recommended!