5.0 out of 5 stars Tout simplement magnifique..., 11 May 2005
This review is from: C'Était Ici (Audio CD)
If you've come to read this, there are 2 possibilites: you are either curious of knowing more about Yann Tiersen after getting your hands on Amelie's soundtrack, or you already know his music and albums & want to venture a bit further. Whichever it is: just buy this album. I know you've read this 100's of times on Amazon, but I could not do justice to this (live) recording by trying to describe it with words.
I have had the chance to see Yann in concert about 3 times now, and I can tell you this is as close as you'll get to the real thing, except that he usually tours with 2 or 3 friends, and this was a one off: he had an entire orchestra of hyper-talented friends to bring more depth to the unbelievable beauty of his compositions. "C'etait ici" (for those who lack French vocab) means "It was here", and yes, that's where the magic happened that night in Paris.
The thing with Yann is that talent is no longer a matter: he is way beyond it and this is why contrary to the Amelie soundtrack, this is a lot more varied, ranging from classical writing to piano ballads (like the cover of Serge Gainsbourg's achingly gorgeous/sad "la Noyee") to more experimental stuff like "Fevrier" that could easily be on a Sonic Youth album. Just like his performing skills (he must play well over 10 different instruments to the highest level), there is no doubt Yann is an explorer in his own world, therefore not sticking to one style but still always keeping his trademark touch.
If you only own "Amelie", then along with this you MUST (and I mean you MUST!!!) get a copy of "Rue des Cascades" and "Le Phare". They are nothing short of astonishing and are among the best CDs I have ever bought (out of hundreds!). "L'absente", his last studio album to date, is also very good but certainly not his best work.
So do yourself a favour, go and buy this. And if you don't like it, then all hope is lost for you in this world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nursery rhymes in summer, 30 Dec 2009
This review is from: C'Était Ici (Audio CD)
I don't know much about music, my tastes are pretty standard, Killers, Lisa Hannigan, Foo Fighters etc. Yann Tiersen is completely different to any of my other ambums, you don't have to know about this type of music to be utterly lost in it and enjoy it. I found out about him after reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower and googling a poem, bit of a weird way to come to love a new genre but it works.
I don't own any other of his albums, this is kind of like a compilation, or a 'beginners guide to' so useful if you're new. A few of my favourites are Le Banquet, Comptine d'un autre etre, Le Fromveur and Monochrome, just because. I wrote this review basically to say if like me you stumbled across some moving songs on youtube and wanted to hear more, you should buy this album. -Even if, or especially if, you hadn't previously listened to anything even remotely like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent accompaniement piece for all the Amelie fans, and to Yann Tiersen's music, 2 Oct 2012
This review is from: C'Était Ici (Audio CD)
Recorded on February 2 2002 during a live concert done in Paris, this recording presents many tracks that have been used in the French movie "Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amelie Poulain" known in the USA as Amelie, along with other compositions from Yann Tiersen's other albums.

Through his concert, Tiersen offers us a complete range of musical interpretations that he does on various instruments such as Harmonica, violin, piano, accordion, guitar, and even ocarina. As a special treat, he even interprets a Serge Gainsbourg song called "La Noyee", which just adds a melancholy to his musical universe. As such, I think this whole album is wonderful way to discover an incredible artist, and return into the universe of Amelie Poulain

Of my favourite tracks in this album, I loved on the first CD the songs C'etait ici, Les jours Tristes (a lyrical version of the melody that was used in the end credits of Amelie), "La noyee", "La Terrasse" and "le Fromveur". On the second album, I loved "Le Meridien", "l'Absente", "la Parade", "Plus au Sud", "La Crise", "les Bras de Mer", the excellent "Monochrome", which Dominique Arpin sings with a gorgeous voice, and Fevrier, whose tension made me think of a duel between samourais or of a Kabuki play.

In the end, this album is a must for anybody who loved Amelie, but also Yann Tiersen's work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 3 April 2013
This review is from: C'était Ici (MP3 Download)
Its something that you will either buy and love or buy, play a couple of times and put away. Its something that I personally love from the outset and the more I play the more I like and hear new things within the music. For me its a great edition to my music collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply fantastic!, 8 Mar 2013
This review is from: C'Était Ici (Audio CD)
I'm not really one for writing reviews but, since a friend introduced it to me, this Yann Tiersen album has made one heck on an impression on me.

There are very few of the albums that I own where I can say there isn't a single track I dislike - C'Était Ici is one of the few. Not being music critic I'm not going to try sound clever and band on about the stuff music critics go on about. In honesty I wouldn't know where to start as the album is so very varied. Largely instrumental with a good sprinkling of some of the most beautifully lyrical tacks I've heard in a long time.

Some of tracks remind me of the great Michael Nyman, others of Beirut with strong notes of French folk music. Regardless of what some of the tracks remind me of, they all have their own uniqueness also. As I write this, I've got C'Était Ici playing and I cannot pick out a favourite track - they are ALL so good!

I cannot do this album justice in words - regardless of much I prattled I would fall short of describing how good I think it is.

Definitely worth a listen, then another, and another and on and on.

5.0 out of 5 stars sublime, 25 Jan 2013
This review is from: C'était Ici (MP3 Download)
I found Tiersen's music so wonderful, this particular live album gives a deeper sense of the quality of this musician, no doubt a very good purchase.

C'Était Ici
C'Était Ici by Yann Tiersen (Audio CD - 2003)