Format: Audio CD|Change

on 8 April 2003
After hearing Howie cover my favourite Dave Matthews Band song, #41, I bought this album. Its a fantastic debut album from a fantastic rising star; however the album is showing its age (it was originally recorded by Howie in 1999 and released independently, then remastered and released by Sony in 2002). Howie has continued to mature since it was recorded, and his latest offerings, including Bunnies, Brace Yourself, Madrigal and Sweet, really show what a truly amazing solo performer he is. Look out for his live concerts on the internet; they're free to download due to his concert taping policy.
on 27 January 2003
Vary rarely have I been so impressed by a support act at a gig that I have been to. The gig in question was Tori Amos and the support act was this man Howie Day. I have always believed that if any act can cut it well live then their recorded output is well worth checking out and this album proves to me beyond doubt how right I am to make that assumption!
AUSTRALIA is an amazing debut from a 21yr old, Howie's songwriting prowess and vocal style give the impression of a seasoned veteran. every song on this album takes you on a melodic journey and I defy anyone not to be humming along to some of the beautifully textured music and singing along after several listens!
Real stand out tracks for me are GHOST and MORNING AFTER, but in truth AUSTRALIA is about it's entire content and not about individual tracks.
In conclusion if you love music that inspires you or takes you away on a journey, buy this, because I guarantee you will not be disappointed and If he's playing live, see him because he is brilliant!
on 15 January 2003
I saw Howie supporting Tori Amos last night, just him, a guitar and some electronics which he used to mix and sequence on the fly. Absolutely superb, you must see this guy live, better than the album in my opinion and the album is excellent.
on 20 August 2002
I discoverd Howie's music when searching for Jeff Buckley covers and once I heard his version of "Lover you should have come over" and some DMB songs i had to hear more.
His songs are so emotional whatever feeling they convey you get caught up in it. The voice and talent of this artist make it hard to believe he is only 21!
It's hard to pick out my favourite songs on the album but I would have to say "Disco" and "She Says" are fantastic but I love singing along to "Sweet". Download some of his live stuff as well, his friendly banter inbetween the amazing acoustic performance is hillarious. I can't wait until he comes to tour the UK, I'll be first in line to buy my ticket!
Every friend I have introduced to Howie Day's music has loved every minute of it so you won't be disappointed. If you like music along the lines of Fiona Apple, Dave Matthews or Jeff Buckley this album is a must for your collection....
on 6 July 2002
Howie Day is a musician much in the same vein as Chris Carabba, and his Dashboard Confessional project. He plays beautiful, mellow songs, and is very emotional. This, his debut album, shows this emotion brilliantly. Songs such as 'Sorry So Sorry' and 'More You Understand', are beautifully written songs, that will get your heart racing, but in a mellowed out way..........so really, if you like DC, then this is the stuff for you!!
on 2 September 2010
My new favourite band, all his albums are great. Really nice to relax to, get it and see for yourself, you may know collife from Scrubs, well it is not his only hit, so find out for yourself
on 17 May 2016
One of my fav Howie albums....brill!
on 17 January 2015