Format: Audio CD|Change

on 17 September 2002
I have been a fan of Chris Rea for many years, ever since my son bought me a vinyl copy of 'Tennis'. I became hooked and I have bought very nearly everything Chris Rea has recorded. Not so long ago I was beginning to think that he had lost his special spark of originality. 'Tuned out' I thought.
This week I bought 'Dancing Down the Stoney Road' for my son's birthday, and I couldn't resist playing it myself before I sent it on.
This is a very different Chris Rea. The wonderful gravelly voice and incredible skill with the guitar are still there, but this time, it all comes from his heart. This isn't background music, it grips, it shakes, it moves. The lyrics are important, you must listen to them, they tell you where he is coming from, where he has been. It's a mixture of Delta Blues, Gospel and the inimitable Chris Rea.
I can't tell you which is my favourite track, I shall have to listen to these cd's again and again, and my favourite pieces will no doubt change with my mood. At the moment the slow 'Give that Girl a Diamond' is making me want to cry, it is a beautiful song and it is haunting me, but tomorrow it may well be a more up-beat track. There is no help for it, I shall have to order another copy of this glorious cd for myself.
Thanks for many years of music Mr. Rea, may you have many more.
on 25 September 2002
In the little ice cream shop in Linthorpe Road, Middlesbrough I first met Chris Rea in the early 70's, I had my eyes on his mothers Knickerbocker Glory Ice Creams which were simply the best.
The next time I met him face to face was some 30 years later and he opened a village fair as a thank-you for the surgeon who saved his life. He was frail and gaunt, he had lost much of his excess baggage that followed him on his tours. He mentioned that he was working on a special project and what a project it has become.
Blending Chris' gargle-with-gravel voice, with sweet blues couldn't have resulted in a better album - the best of an illustrious line of fine music from "Fool (if you think it's over)" to "Stony Road". Chris is always at his best when he personalises his music, Stainsby Girls, Steel River, Daytona and Tell me there's a Heaven were, until now, my favourite tracks.
There are three more tracks on this album that I would challenge anyone to beat. The inspired "So Lonely", the haunting "Sun is Rising" and the thought provoking "Got to be Moving on" are without a doubt three of the best-ever Rea tracks.
For those with CD Players the first CD of the pack provides a great video diary of chris, his life and the making of the album, dispite the small size of the video clips (when will record companies produce better quality graphics accompanying CDs) you get a lot for your money and for those who have not heard Chris Rea before it is well worth watching.
This album is a good as it gets and should be a firm favourite for years for dedicated Rea fans and those who, like Chris, idolise Charley Patton and his compatriots.
Chris, if you read this... You mother's Ice Cream is legendary, you should be equally proud of a soulful and classic Delta blues album - Make mine a double!
on 5 October 2002
I was put onto this by a radio interview he did with Johnathon Ross, playing some of it live. Forget Road to Hell and all that 80's stuff. This is white man singin' the blues - and he does it REAL well. All his own compositions, and he has used highly respected session musicians to help him get the sound and the mood just right...Memphis/Delta blues - it's all here, in 2002 from an Englishman. Quite excellent; highly recommended.
on 14 October 2005
Just a word of warning to others. This album was also released under the simpler title "Stony Road". The cover design is also different, being a picture of the artist. There is a difference, albeit small, in the track listing i.e. the last track on the longer title is "Diamond", on the shorter title it's "Give that girl a diamond". Don't make the mistake I nearly made - IT'S NOT A DIFFERENT ALBUM - IT'S THE SAME ONE.
on 23 September 2002
As a long-time fan of Chris Rea (since Road to Hell in 1989), I've listened to almost everything he's released right back from the very first album up to this new double CD "Dancing Down the Stony Road". To be honest, I think his music tailed off a bit in the late 90's with "Blue Cafe" and others of the time, but this CD is Chris back to his best. I've just listened to in on my way around the M25 and its already earned a permanant place in my CD changer.
Sure, its quite a bit different from his other stuff, but its brilliant!. The best way I can describe it is "rocky-blues". Theres a lot of slide guitar and Chris grumbles away in that oh-so familiar voice of his (which someone once described as the vocal equivalent of melting chocolate). The first CD is better than the second, the opening track is good but it gets better in the middle tracks and the end of the first CD "Heading for the City" (the track listing above is slightly wrong) starts off slow and builds to an amazing finish. After the first listen, I listened to it all again straight away and I have to say, it gets better each time you hear it.
In summary, this is not a "The Road to Hell" type album. Chris has broken away from eastwest records and gone his own way, and its a huge step forward. Its moody, bluesy and a return to form. Welcome back Chris, glad you've recovered and brought us music of this quality.!
on 21 July 2016
Dancing Down the Stony Road is the seventeenth studio album by Chris Rea, released in 2002 on his own label, Jazzee Blue.

CD 1

8."Changing Times" - 3:05
9."The Hustler" - 4:12
10."Give That Girl a Diamond" - 3:54
on 24 September 2002
Chris Rea has told many times during the recent years, that he likes blues music. Now after recovering from serious illness, it has come time to release his own blues album. Rea has forgotten all that computer stuff from "Road to hell part II" and all that peaceful romantic sounds of "King of the beach", now it's time to tell stories about the blues, about the pain, about the surviving, and of course about the life. And Rea does it very well. His slide guitar hasn't sound this good ever and his singing voice is made for singing the blues. There is two versions from this album, and because of that, those who gets the one cd version, will lose many great tracks. "Chansing times", "Burning feet", "Dancing the blues away" for example are great blues songs. But also great tracks like "Ride on", "Sun is rising" and "Ain't going down this way" are missing from the one cd version, and it's really sad. But it's same do you have one or two cd version, "Dancing down the stony road" is interesting journey through the delta blues and gospel, it's really worth of buying for every blues lover and everyone else should atleast try it.
on 6 March 2004
I'm not a big Chris Rea fan and I can't say I have given the rest of his discography much of a listen, but I am a huge blues fan. This is the first time I have heard a modern artist do old style Memphis blues justice. As well as the great songs and interesting arrangements, its great to hear a band recording together on record. You really get the feeling that the band love to play what there playing. At the end of the day this album achieves the one thing all great blues albums should, it makes you feel good when you feel bad. Outstanding!
on 22 June 2013
I love all phases of Chris Rea`s work from when I first saw him in concert with his Benny Santini album to now. But this is no "On the beach" with its mellow groove and sun-kissed arrangements. This is sparse, intense, emotion drenched singular in vision with an intimately close miked slide guitar occupying centre stage throughout. Drawing deep from the gospel roots of southern state acoustic blues it is spine tingling music. For me it is up there with his very best stuff and is one of my favourite blues recordings, a testament to a man who has been down to the crossroads and come back!
on 12 March 2016
This is great stuff ! This collection has a genuinely bluesy, rootsy feel to it. This is a major change of direction for Chris Rea.
It's nothing at all like Road to Hell, Shamrock Diaries etc. If you are only familiar with his 'hits' and popular 80s and 90s albums prepare for a surprise. This is heartfelt music played with style and conviction.