Format: Audio CD|Change

on 26 September 2003
An astonishing album that was quite rightly Terrorizer's album of the year. It manages to be both crushing and hypnotically beautiful at the same time.
After you've inwardly digested this opus remember to seek out Aaron Turner's other musical output, in particular Old Man Gloom.
on 16 December 2007
....If, like me, you are coming to Isis through cross-referencing to acts like Mogwai and Godspeed, be aware that `Oceanic' is a metal album. Full stop.

Apart from two restrained instrumental/sound pieces in the record's middle, expect monstrous, riffing guitars and an utterly unintelligible vocalist whose muffled screams sound like they were recorded in the next room to the band.

However, before the hardcore metal fans start clicking on the `No' button at the foot of my review to register their disapproval, I have to say that I quite like this record. The titanic, layered guitars deliver a real visceral punch and the vocals make more sense with repeated listens, adding power to the music through raw sound rather than lyrical expression.

If you are feeling p****d off then this record makes perfect sense. I cannot quite agree with other reviewers' opinions that `Oceanic' delivers soundscapes, but I am not a metal-head and am trying with this review to offer an opinion from outside of the genre.

Viewed objectively, the problem with `Oceanic' is that, at 65 minutes, it is too long to sustain interest to the end. The record does not have the wit of Mogwai, the variety of Explosions in the Sky or the creativity of Godspeed. This metal beast is fun to ride for a while but ultimately has leaden feet. Go on, you can click `No' now!!
55 comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 April 2003
This album is up there with "Spiderland" by Slint as being one of the most beautiful, terrifying, and intense records ever made. It makes me shudder to think how good this album is.
I can close my eyes and lose myself completely in this album.
It is a work of genius.
on 21 October 2005
a classic,a sheer fury of noise then mellow and soothing feelings return,then oh no,more screams and guitars that pierce my sides,this is the business,this is a masterpiece,get it
on 11 January 2010
This album came highly recommended by some folks I was talking to, and it didn't dissapoint by a long shot. It takes a style where less is more, and is very focused and disciplined. Nothing is there that doesn't belong, and each member uses his instrument for the sake of the music rather than to show off their skills. The whole album is a slow, deep, intense groove that draws the listener in. It creates impressions of depth, vastness, and oceans -duh! :#. The climax of the album for me is the song: 'Weight'. I've noticed that, as much as I love this song, it sounds much better in the context of the album taken as a whole journey. There is a lot of talk that the LP is a dying art, because of things like iTunes. LPs like this are the reason why we shouldn't abandon them. They allow ideas, impressions and land/soundscapes to develop in ways that can't be done in one track. I find this album an absolute joy to listen to, and it has become a favourite very quickly. Isis are often labelled 'post-rock' or 'post-metal', while they themselves are reluctant to categorise their stuff in any definitive or final way. For this reason, I think this album has a broad appeal, and anyone who likes good music #whatever that means to ya# is likely to enjoy it. This is music made purely for the love of music - utterly free of the interference of 'demographic research', or any similar corrupter of inspiration, and as such, has the power to resonate with probably anyone who is open to it. Enjoy!
on 24 September 2002
this is a brilliant album. I havent actually been able to get hold of their other stuff. but to me this is like a sound similair to neurosis but not quite so dark and depressing and at times it can be quite melodic. it's bloody good though and you should buy it if you like bands like old man gloom and neurosis.
on 16 November 2002
Do we finally have it here? The next happy medium between the genius, and the mass-appeal, of Mike Patton's musical-insight? Ipecac has been waiting to break from the eclectic in the way that Kool Arrow has somehow been resting in the obscurity (sorry Bill Gould). This band, with their much more mature second album should do it. It carries all the hallmarks of the traditional Patton release; dischordant at times, liable to change tack at any pont, and generally hard to appreciate on anything less than 5 listens.
But for once it can be generally said that there are stark, real, and obvious differences between the syles envoked, and the musical consequences of each track. I do not dare to see this as a concept album, as it comes so close to reflecting what I wanted to see out of this band, and this stable, but I would admit that it is not a certain purchase for the uninitiated. Saying that, a healthy interest in any of the other Ipecac recordings would be an ideal start, if not, then this album is good enough, and accessible enough, to be an impetus for the growth of the label.
on 10 June 2003
........the most tedious, over-rated album i've ever heard in my 15 years as a rock/metal fan....refund for me lol...disgusted....but if you wanna listen to a poor man's 'tool' be my guest.....still, good news about the chocolate oranges