4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, but requires time & patience for good results
Published on 1 Mar 2005 by Marco

1.0 out of 5 stars Talk to the wall, cos the computer ain't listening
I am computer literate, with a 6-month old PC, running a clean and well maintained system including weekly downloads of virus software, automatic updates from good old Bill Gates, teach basic computer literacy and I have never had the difficulty with any programme that I had with ViaVoice.

I loaded the software, spent several sessions training it to recognise...
Published on 18 May 2006 by Mr. N. Gibson

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, but requires time & patience for good results, 1 Mar 2005
This review is from: IBM ViaVoice 10.0 Pro USB Edition with Headset (2002) (CD-ROM)
I have used Viavoice now for several months as I am an audio-typist and wanted something that would relieve the wrist, arm and shoulder strain. IBM's claims for this product are more or less true (and no, I don't work for IBM!), but you will need to spend a fair amount of time training the programme. Training involves reading into the microphone, then going back amending mis-spelled words using their Correction Window.
Since using this product I have progressed from a 256mb RAM computer to 512mb RAM upgrade, and without a doubt I have seen increased levels of efficiency in the operation of the programme after the upgrade. I was pulling my hair out often with the 256mb computer, because there was multiple crashing during use. But the increased processing speed means that it's all working more smoothly, and hardly any crashes.
I also got a top level Plantronics noise-cancelling headset with microphone, which I feel has helped alot in reducing interference from background noise. Of course, the ideal would be to have completely silent surroundings, but I've found my new headset has helped cancel out noises from nearby printer, fax, telephone ringing and background voices, and works much better than the headset included with the s/w.
There are some quirks with the programme: I usually press the Enter key twice to create the next paragraph, then continue dictating, but have found that if I don't pause for a couple of seconds after pressing Enter, the text can end up on the previous line. I also haven't worked out how to get round dictating numbered paragraphs: if I manually type "1.", then tab across, the next dictated words do not automatically have an initial capital. Any suggestions on how I can get round this would be much appreciated!
I type at about 80-90wpm, so of course this programme can never replace the speed and accuracy of diy, but it certainly comes as a welcome break to bashing at the keyboard all day long. And the twinges, aches and pains I used to feel in my wrists, arms, shoulders seem to have completely disappeared. So, thumbs-up to IBM!!
If only I could voice-command the hoover, dishwasher and house-cleaning in general, then my life would be complete!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars IBM ViaVoice pro USB 10, 17 Jan 2006
I have been using IBM ViaVoice eight for several years and I have got on extremely well with this programme. I have now up graded my computer and I decided to try Dragon naturally Speaking 8 preferred. I found that this programme is extremely slow, poor recognition and would not work very well on the internet.
I have now bought IBM ViaVoice 10, it installed perfectly first time.
This programme is extremely fast, the writing is on the screen instantly. It worked in all programmed that I have and on the internet. I would go as far as to say this programme is brilliant. I would recommend, the more memory that you have on your computer, the better. I have one gigabyte of memory and Two gigabyte processor. After installing the programme, I said all the names of my family and address, it all came out perfectly. I would highly recommend this programme. I hope this is of some interest to you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Talk to the wall, cos the computer ain't listening, 18 May 2006

I loaded the software, spent several sessions training it to recognise my voice and (at best) it was 50/50. It is very memory intensive (95 MB) and after a couple of days it locked out completely so I removed the whole programme, reloaded it and spent a couple more sessions retraining it. It lasted two more days, was still little beter than 50/50, locked out again and I gave up, unloaded it and sent it back.

The theory is brilliant and (when they get it working) it will save a lot of time, but its not there yet.

Give this one a miss for now.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sounds great, but..., 23 Mar 2004
By A Customer
I was surprised at how well this package recognised what I was saying, it is technically a good achievement by IBM.
However, in terms of the time it takes to properly train Viavoice to recognise your voice, you would be better served if you bought a typing tutor and learned to touch-type. This is what I did after becoming totally fed up with Viavoice's constant mistakes with complicated sentences and irregular words.
Beware if you are planning to use the software in multiple locations, as the level of background noise may well require you to set up a new voice model - twice as time-consuming! You should also consider how well you articulate your sentences and the extent to which your spoken language is suitable as written prose, as these will severely affect the speed and quality of the end result.
Finally, the program requires a hefty amount of system resources in order to function accurately, and may severly slow down all but the highest spec systems.
While the package certainly has its merits, it is a far cry from the voice recognition you may expect having watched any sci-fi and is still a long way off being a useful productivity tool.

4.0 out of 5 stars IBM ViaVoice Pro USB Release 10, 29 Oct 2003
C. B. Turner (UK) - See all my reviews
Speech recognition on PCs now seems to have reached a point where its quite useable under the right conditions. I use this product to write technical reports, and sitting quietly and speaking clearly it captures whole paragraphs with only one or two mistakes. Correcting is faster by typing but you have to keep ViaVoice running so it can (hopefully) learn from its mistakes. Quite a bonus when your fingers ache from typing! I don't think its as useful for driving application commands but others who have to do things differently may like it. I don't like the way it stays 'wrapped around' Word and accesses the Internet when you're not using it - I guess it does these things to support IBM with remote speech database enhancements, but I don't know? Installation was easy and obvious. Wreck a nice beach!

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely disappointing, 25 Nov 2004
By A Customer
Another reviewer suggests that Via Voice users either love it or hate it. I'm definitely in the second category. My speech is generally pretty clear, with English as my first language and no regional accent. Even so, Via Voice's recognition/accuracy is very poor. Occasionally it can surprise by having a run of, oh, two or three sentences where it gets most things right. But the majority ranges from wrong-but-just-recognisable, to utter gibberish.
Via Voice also has all sorts of tics and oddities where it inserts odd spaces and words that you haven't said. And the annoying little graphic help character (like the MS Office paperclip - enough said...) turns up uninvited quite a lot. Another issue is that things like numbers are difficult to dictate. According to the instructions, this should be really simple, but in practice, it doesn't work.
Unfortunately, it seems that if you don't get on with it to begin with, it doesn't really improve. Training the software is limited - once you've been through the training package at set-up, there doesn't seem to be much else you can do - not that I could find, anyway.
If you're looking at this alongside other products, you may find it useful to know that I am running via voice on my home PC, and on my similarly specced machine at work, I have Dragon Naturally Speaking (just a very average version - the Standard package of version 7.0). There is almost no comparison between the two. Dragon is massively more accurate and easy to use. Via Voice may have strengths that have eluded me, but if you're after a quick, accurate text transcription package, there is no question about which product out of these two you should choose.

4.0 out of 5 stars IBM ViaVoice, 7 July 2007
Li Zhang "zEELOt" (UK) - See all my reviews
I tried their Chinese version in 1998 - wasn't impressed.

I thought that they should have achieved something "significant" since it has been 10 years. But somehow I didn't feel much difference on recognition accuracy in this version.
The dictation system requires the user to speak in a very standard accent, which means: you had better talk like BBC News or pretend to be Tony Blair if you want decent results. This isn't easy for me because I am not a native English speaker. Sometimes I do not pronounce words correctly of course this is not machine's fault - I checked my dictionary and found it was my mistake.

Also, if you are heavy type-writer like I am, you may not be comfortable with idea of "dictation" itself. It would need a while to get yourself used to it.

You may need a powerful machine. The manual says that a 400MHz machine will do well, but I don't think it's entirely true. My 1.4G Centrino runs like sea-turtle moving on beach when VoiceCentre is on.

The software is not as stable as I thought. It has crashed for a few times on my machine - even when I clicked the link for "Technical Support" in help file.

With all these problems, why I still give it a high mark?

Well, as a Software Engineer myself, I know how much effort is needed for such a system. From design perspective, it is still quite good. The noice-cancellation microphone and headset are excellent (it's NOT another 1-pound PC microphone!). The user manual is great, no typing error, which doesn't look like dictated:). The voice commands can free your hands. It automatically searches for actions in your applications. So you can enjoy the convenience with little hassle for configuration (though it takes a while to remember how to speak all those commands).
Easy correction is particularly important in an environment like voice recognition. The correction window is handy. You can make correction without typing - just with voice commands!

All in all, this is a great product which requires some training for both your buddy machine and you, but you would be rewarded - keep these in your mind when you pay for it. Or, if you are looking for a 90-quid software which can instantly work as perfectly as in your imagination, then forget about it:) Science is gold, but not diamond (yet).

LZ

2.0 out of 5 stars Crashing, 29 Jun 2004
R. L. Barnes "Rob" (East Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I used a previous version of this and was quite pleased with it as my typing poor enough to make it worth while. This version was possibly better in terms of accuracy but this was only after I had a lot of trouble loading it. It took three attempts and messed up my machine. I never did get the USB adaptor to work so that was a waste. (I had expected a proper USB connection given the title but... A case of mis-selling I think) After a month of use, to improve accuracy, I read in second piece of text but again - bad problems. The analysis failed. The screens sent me round in circles but no way out. I had to crash my M/c.

5.0 out of 5 stars Viavoice: All you need for direct dictation in a box and mor, 18 Aug 2002
Ibrahim Gucukoglu "Gaget Guru" (London, England) - See all my reviews
Having used previous versions of Viavoice software packages, I was naturally anxious to get the new version 10 as soon as it hit the shelf. Having installed and restored my existing voice model which I'd used since version 8 of the product, I wanted to check out the new noise canceling and environmental features for my self. I am a very busy student, often working in environments where noise (however slight) is present. I was amaised at how easy it was to adjust the sencetivity level to match the environment I was in, therefore improving recognition quality. Also, this new version supports a number of digital voice recorder products, one of which I have just recently purchased. I found the ability to record my notes and assignments on the move, and then download them and have the text appear before my eyes absolutely amaising saving me time and frustration and improving the way I work. In conclusion then, I recommend this product to anyone who wants a simple, easy and cost-effective way of dictating those documents, managing those emails and much more besides. I especially recommend this product to business users working in office environments. No longer will you have to suffer from reduced dictation quality just because you're in the office.

ARRAY(0xa30c40cc)

IBM ViaVoice 10.0 Pro USB Edition with Headset (2002)
IBM ViaVoice 10.0 Pro USB Edition with Headset (2002) by IBM (Windows 2000 / 98 / Me / NT / XP)
Used & New from: 99.99