4.0 out of 5 stars another success from the growing Canadian rock scene
this are a band that stand on their own two feet, and are influenced in many ways by their Canadian rock conterparts Nickelback, but thats to be expected with Chad Kroeger being one of the two producers, and co-writing 6 of the 10 songs on here with frontman Tyler Connolly.
Published on 4 Jan. 2003 by dangee_hotshot

3.0 out of 5 stars NIckleback in undertakers clothes
Published on 21 Jan. 2003 by C. Steed

4.0 out of 5 stars another success from the growing Canadian rock scene, 4 Jan. 2003
This review is from: Theory Of A Deadman (Audio CD)
But I suppose for the better it is Tyler Connolly who writes the albums lead off single 'Nothing Could Come Between Us' on his own.
The song is a fine grunge rock anthem, and shows the power of the bands loud and raw sound with Connollys ruff but strong voice.
But before we get to 'Nothing Could Come Between Us' on the album, we first listen to opening track 'Invisible Man', which appears as a b-side on the 'Hero' single (where Connolly plays guitar on 'Hero'), and also on the Spider-Man soundtrack.
'Invisible Man' is a hard sounding song, and is a good indication of the other songs on the album.
Third track 'Make Up Your Mind' is one of my favourite songs on the record, with its sound at the start where it sounds mellowed and the lyrics reflect this with Connolly singing over an acoustic, before breaking into a full-on rock sound with the chorus, and inclusion of electric guitars.
Along the way there are some great heart wrenching rock songs like the superb 'The Last Song', the closing track 'Confession' of a failed relationship where Connolly sings "Well It's Like...Life After Death, Is Like Life After You" and 'What You Deserve' that has a guitar riff at the start that suspicously sounds like Nickelback's guitar riff on 'Silver Side Up's' 'Hangnail'.
But overall this album is very good, and even if it is influenced by Nickelback (who's name seems like a swear word in rock magazines nowadays), is it not a good thing?
Nickelback are huge, and have a great album thats made them Canadian rock legends, so I feel its only good for rock music, to have promising bands like Theory of a Deadman to be helped along by their Canadian rock brothers.

3.0 out of 5 stars NIckleback in undertakers clothes, 21 Jan. 2003
This review is from: Theory Of A Deadman (Audio CD)
I heard about Theory of a Deadman by word of mouth from a friend of a friend. I had admitted that I like the sound of Nickleback and he recommended TOAD. I went and bought their album, it sounds just like Nickleback. Which is understandable reading about Kroeger's influence on the Canadian band. There are some noticeable songs that stand out. Especially at the start of the album, it does mellow toward the end. TOAD's first album is very short, about 36mins I think, and the chorus's dominate the songs, which is not a bad thing in this style of music. Otherwise, it is very run-of-the-mill. A nice album to listen to if you only have a few minutes. Otherwise.... just get Nickleback's Album, but don't say I told you to....

5.0 out of 5 stars definitely worth a listen, 5 Sept. 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Theory Of A Deadman (Audio CD)
Theory of a Deadman are a relatively new band from canada, sounding not entirely unlike Nickelback, but with a slightly heavier sound. Track 1, "Invisible Man", has already been featured on Chad Kroeger's "Hero", and sounds great, but in my opinion, the highlight of this album is undoubtably "Point to Prove".
In short, if you like Nickelback, this is probably the album for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars god, it's catchy!, 2 Aug. 2003
rob (Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Theory Of A Deadman (Audio CD)
this is not the best album ever. but the choruses in the these songs are probably the best ever! you just have to love 'Nothing Could Come Between Us' and track 9 - the best line ever 'you tried to open your mouth, but only s*** would come out'
and then there's 'Point To Prove' with another excellent chorus. no, the album's only 36 minutes long but you might wanna multiply that by say 4 or 5 becuase that's how many times you replay these sweet songs! they're sooooo good!
rock on

4.0 out of 5 stars Similar to Default, Creed and Nickleback..not a bad thing, 12 Oct. 2006
This review is from: Theory Of A Deadman (Audio CD)
First of all I have to agree with people when they say they sound like Nickleback. I can see the comparison with the vocal, the lyrics and even the structure of the songs.

Funny thing is, I don't seem to care! They are good at what they do and personally I think theres many bands out there that sound the same as other that get less stick. I believe that the first few albums are just trying to find your feet, so who knows what TOADM will do next?

I guess we should just watch this space.

I like to forget what I am supposed to think about bands and judge them on the way I felt when I listened to them...

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Rock Chick', 17 May 2007
'Rock Chick' (Gloucestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Theory Of A Deadman (Audio CD)
I've just received this CD recently and have been playing it in my car ever since. I heard about TOAD through recommendations from Amazon and it's definitely my best buy! I love every single track on it and can't wait to get their other album 'Gasoline' too. It's obviuos that Chad Kroeger has had a lot to do with these guys cos they sound very much like Nickelback, which isn't a bad thing in my book.

Grinding guitars, great lyrics, great voice......Marvelous rock music!

If you like Nickelback, 3 Doors Down, Saliva, Three Days Grace, Hinder, Seether....you'll love this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Power cords haven, for TOAD., 12 April 2003
This review is from: Theory Of A Deadman (Audio CD)
When i first heard 'Nothing could come between us' i was instantly hooked to the song. It had great guitar rhythm, good lyrics and the video i thought was really good. Ok so it's probably the highlight track for most, like it was for me. But was you slowly (or quickly even, its only a 36 minute album! thats peanuts compared to some i listen to!) you find it's filled with not stylish, fast paced guitar chords, but stacked to the brim with power cords. To say the least it does get boring to listen to. But Tyler Connolys vocals are gravely and rusty which is a break from thrash bands.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great first outing, 19 Jan. 2003
This review is from: Theory Of A Deadman (Audio CD)
Whilst it is easy to compare theory of a deadman with Nickelback, with Chad Kroeger's influence very apparent, Theory of a deadman are by no means living in Nickelback's shadow. For a first album this is an amazing entrance. The album contains many powerful songs, my favourites being invisible man and last song, and it can easily compete with other rock bands. This album is well worth buying if you like rock, and as many people who have heard it will say, if you like Nickelback you will like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 26 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Theory Of A Deadman (Audio CD)
I am a huge fan of these guys ever since three of their songs appeared in the Farenheit game for the XBox! I actually prefer these to Nicklebacks later albums, Theory of a deadman are fresh and every song sounds different I know that sounds like a random statement but in my opinion every other Greenday song sounds the same as does every other Nickleback song on the newer albums...maybe I am tone deaf but thats just me. Theory shouldnt be missed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Theory's debut, 5 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Theory Of A Deadman (Audio CD)
As a first album, this is okay. Chad Kroeger's influence is very evident here, as they sound like a heavier version of Nickelback. Although the blurb says that they are closer to the pop-mainstream, I would have to disagree. This album would appeal to hard rock/metal fans. But, for me, it isn't as good as their later works, notably Gasoline and Scars & Souvenirs.

Theory Of A Deadman
Theory Of A Deadman by Theory of a Deadman (Audio CD - 2002)