on 3 November 2010
Why oh why is this stuff not marketed better? I found out about it when I was ordering a new shredder (it came up in the product search), my old one was a cheapie and really struggling, it was getting out of puff with two sheets at a time. I ordered both the shredder and the oil. When the oil arrived I thought I would try it on my old shredder. A few drops in the slot has given it a completely new lease of life. My new shredder, while perfectly fine (and a fairly expensive one) is still in the box. So..... the moral of this story: try some of this stuff if you think your shredder is on its last legs. From what I know now, shredders' should be oiled regularly in any case, so if this doesn't sort your old shredder out, you've lost nothing, you'll need the oil for the new shredder. If you were planning on going for a decent one, like me; who knows, you could save yourself 50 quid
on 20 October 2013
Did you know that this oil is simply canola oil otherwise known as rapeseed oil?

Fellowes data sheet for their 'special' shredder oil.

[...]

You can buy a 500ml bottle of pure organic rapeseed oil from Tesco for a mere £2.

HTH.
22 comments|64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
My current shredder (Fellowes) came with a recommendation that it is oiled each time the bin is emptied, which meant I was getting through a lot of the shredder oil sachets to keep performance at the optimum level. My shredder came with a small bottle of this oil, which seems to work well, so I purchased this larger bottle for longer term use.

The top of the bottle needs to be cut open. Fortunately I learnt from the experience of opening the small bottle that you need to remove just the tip of the nozzle with scissors and, if you do that, the red cap snaps reassuringly back into place (if you cut lower, the cap does not fit back on very well). I am happy enough with the seal provided by the red cap to store the bottle on its side.

My shredder is still as quiet as the day I bought it and continues to cope with the paper generated by a home office (it is probably emptied just over once a week on average, but can sometimes be required to work extra hard). This oil has certainly ensured that the shredder remains clog-free and this bottle size means you do not have to compromise on the amount of oil used as it lasts a long time. Other oils may work just as well but I do not want to jeopardise the longevity of my shredder by trying out anything other than an oil designed for this purpose specifically.
1414 comments|62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 June 2011
Prior to purchasing this Fellowes shredder oil I had been using Extra virgin olive oil to lubricate my shredder. This worked surprisingly well but made my house smell like Antonio Carluccio (he washes in it) so I was looking for a product to take it's place. That's what i have found with Fellowes shredder oil. It will breath new life into your shredder. In fact it is so effective and exciting to watch that I have become obsessed with "shredding". I will find any excuse now to go into my study and do some "shredding" and this has resulted in my marriage collapsing. So in summary, great product, but be wary of the impact it may have on your life.
77 comments|17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 7 September 2009
No doubt you have neglected your poor shredder and are beginning to wonder why it makes so much more noise than it used to, not to mention clog up with paper dust and gunk? Well like any well used machine it needs lubricating!

Lots of people have written about using vegetable oil on the mechanism which is fine if its used daily and burnt off, but if you shred once every week or two you will find the oil quickly goes off and the smell of rancid vegetable oil will never be removed from your trusty machine. The Fellowes oil is apparently highly refined and has preservatives in it to stop it causing the latter problem. So far it's been fine although the bottle could do with a screwtop nozzle to seal it and reduce messy spillages.

You literally only need to use about 5-10ml for each lube so a 350ml bottle should last you the best part of a year or more and keep your mechanical chopper well oiled and in tip top condition.
22 comments|92 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 September 2010
Shredder jammed, after managing to remove paper bits, used this oil by putting zigzag pattern on sheet of paper and passing through shredder. Now running quieter than when new! Make sure you only create a small hole in top as oil flows very easily. Enough in bottle to last a lifetime for us.
on 24 July 2012
I'm really glad to have purchased this Shredder Oil. My poor shredder was in such need of rescue after never having been oiled (for YEARS!!) and the Fellowes Shredder Oil, used in tandem with lubricating sheets Aurora SP1000 Shredder Lubrication and Sharpening Sheets (Pack of 12) has done the trick. I notice that other buyers of the oil seem to have had problems because they cut off too much of the end of the nozzle. I find that using a large sewing or darning needle to make a hole in the nozzle end is very effective, aiding to distribute the oil without messiness. Very helpful tip too (from someone else) to drizzle it on a sheet of paper to be shredded. You have to use your own judgement as to how much oil to apply. But the sound of your shredder running smoothly and much more quietly will guide you.
on 8 September 2015

Fellowes data sheet for their 'special' shredder oil shows this. Save yourself money and head to the nearest grocery store instead.
review image
on 4 April 2009
Seems fine. Effectiveness will be more evident in a few years.
Post and packing cost rather high compared to product value.
on 1 June 2009
Excellent value shredder oil. Just squirt an 'S' shaped line onto a piece of scrap paper and pass through the shredder each time you empty it. Works well and hasn't jammed.....yet!