on 10 September 2013
Love the lense, I leave it on the camera as it's standard lense, it's a bit larger than the standard package lense from canon but the performance of the lense justifies the extra weight. I was so impressed with the lense that I purchased a 70-300 EF usm is lense. Packaging and delivery also very good.
on 8 December 2011
The lens is ideal for me I've just "up graded" my camera from a 20D to a 60 D. It suits most of of my photography requirement but I'm only an amature ; its good for landscapes and portraits, I dont need to carry extra lenses and with the image stabaliser I can shoot in low light.
on 7 June 2013
It's a really good lens in daylight but struggles a little in lower light. I use the lenses mainly for video so that's what I'm basing this review on. Definitely worth the price and having as part of your kit whether working in video or photography
on 10 April 2013
I am very pleased with my new lens, its the one that spends most of the time on my camera. The only downside to this lens is there is no lock to stop lens creep, which i am now finding very annoying.
on 29 July 2013
I dont mean to dampen anyones enthusiasm. The lens is an OK performer, frankly I think its over-priced at £350. Edge performance at higher apertures particularly can be mediocre in comparison to lower priced alternatives - I know because I borrowed a friends Sigma walkabout 70-300; ok I admit the coverage isn't equal but again frankly for a Canon lens at this price I would except its pics to be as crisp within the same range as the Sigma.

For newcomers first lens it is more than adequate to learn on - but I would argue they could save near £200 and learn just as much on the Sigma.
Agreed the Sigma doesnt have IS like the Canon does, but I would rate sharper edge definition as a higher priority than IS.

I would not recommend it as a second lens and suggest either another brand or more cash on an L lens.

For a first lens and if you really need IS then this is fine.
on 31 July 2014
This is a distinctly average lens that deserves no more than 3 stars. Why, one might ask? Well because it's little better than a kit lens: sure, you get image stabilization, but let's be honest - the lens is soft, the contrast is pretty bad, and the build quality... don't get me started on build quality, the lens is plasticky, suffers from zoom creep, and focusing/IS is extremely noisy. The zoom creep is the worst problem though, plus this lens sucks dust like a hoover, which is why internal focusing lenses rule.

Given that Canon now makes a 24-105 f/4 L lens, I cannot find any sensible reason to recommend this lens. The IS alone doesn't do it for me, the diaphragm is too small (especially at the long end, since f/5.6 makes it unsuitable for portraits), and I've just had just an average experience with this lens I cannot honestly recommend it to anyone.
on 26 January 2009
this is such an amazing lens .. I used it for alsmost a year ,, and I loved the shots I've taken with this lens,, the foucs is fast and not noisy at all, sharp , has nice colors , suitable for travelling and urban shots ..
on 20 April 2015
Decent Lens for the price as good as the more expensive options.
on 10 May 2013
Dropped my old lens and urgently need a budget replacement.
Worried about buying second hand, but needless!!!

Fantastic service and fantastic walk about lens.
on 16 April 2016