5.0 out of 5 stars Moving to the top of the pile...
Queens Of The Stone Age have seen their stock rise steadily over the last few years and with 'Songs For The Deaf' it seems set to reach new heights, the steady increases multiplying into an unstoppable force.
Recruiting Dave Grohl and Mark Lanegan certainly helps. What band wouldn't be improved by these two talents. Grohl is back doing what he does best, adding a...
Published on 11 Mar 2003 by I. Bullen

1.0 out of 5 stars ANOTHER POOR QUALITY AUDIO DOWNLOAD FROM AMAZON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS IS JUST DREADFUL QUALITY. Another terrible digital download from Amazon.......... Bass is too loud music distorted and fuzzy vocals can hardly be made out this seems to be a regular poor quality control feature of downloads these days whoever was the engineer on this shouldnt be allowed to get any where near a pro tools audio mixing machine again because their...
Published 2 months ago by matwalgromski

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy the album now, 22 Sep 2006
John Dwice (Cheltenham, U.K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Songs For The Deaf (Audio CD)
3 words: GO WITH THE FLOW - This is one of the best songs Ive listened too in a very long while. The money is worth it alone for this track.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but sadly not great!!!, 30 Aug 2002
Richard Collins (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Songs For The Deaf (Audio CD)
The Queens have been my favourite band for a while and I have been waiting for this album for so long. I really want to love it but I can't. It is a good album but just doesn't shine like the previous two. There are however some outstanding tracks on the album such as the opener "Millionaire", "No One Knows", "Go with the Flow" and "Another Love Song" but it just does not seem to flow weel as an album. Buy it because its the Queens and its good but don't expect it to touch "Rated R".

2.0 out of 5 stars Blah blah, 14 Aug 2005
Robot Overlord (floating somewhere...) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Songs For The Deaf (Audio CD)
I remember very clearly the first time I heard "Welcome to Sky Valley." Until that point, it had never occurred to me that music could be both so beautiful and so potent - I just couldn't believe what I was hearing, couldn't believe anything could be so flawless. Granted, I was stoned out of my mind at the time, but I have spent years trying to chasing the same cosmic state of absolute, heart-stopping musical bliss, got heavily into stoner and devoured Kyuss, Brant Bjork, Fu Manchu, and indeed everything else I could find, from the most obscure desert crazies to festival headliners, and man, I have accidentally bought a lot of absolute rubbish in my time, but this... Well actually I didn't pay for it, but I still resent the space it takes up on my hard drive, because it seems exemplary of the distance the apple has fallen from the tree. Its nagging, lightweight, whimsical sound can on occasion be slightly annoying, nothing at all like the rhythm-driven, euphoric adrenaline rush of an album I wanted to hear. Mind you, even "Rated R" padded out the six or seven good tracks with liberal handfuls of fillers and outright crap, so Songs for the Deaf ought not to surprise, given that bands generally only ever degrade with time. Perhaps I'm either jaded or excessively optimistic, but I want to be challenged and consumed and driven by this music, and instead I find it mildly irritating. I think this is probably the tail-end of the movement (if it can be called such) which might explain its currently popularity which is usually inversely proportional to its quality. What a snob I am. This isn't Crazy Frog for the Stoner scene, but Sky Valley is most assuredly ain't.

5.0 out of 5 stars gr8!, 24 Mar 2004
This review is from: Songs For The Deaf (Audio CD)
its a gr8 album nd u shud buy this as soon as u finish readin mi review! propa songs lyk GO WITH THE FLOW neva get tired of bein herd!!! its goin str8 on mi mp3 playa

2.0 out of 5 stars Critics Wrong Again?, 3 Sep 2002
This review is from: Songs for the Deaf [CD & DVD Set] (Audio CD)
Now I could be wrong and this album could be a grower.But I've seldom been more disappointed than on the first few listens to the previously infallible Qeens new album.
Rated R was a metal/punk/pop classic - and had bags of the one thing this record sorely lacks - tunes.Unfortunately, Queens seem to have opted for a nu metal hotch potch of noise rather than songs.It also has irritating and pointless radio interludes between songs (you know static,crass announcers and the like) which always smacks of a band low on ideas.
The critics love this but critics never want to be honest about a band of the moment - remember the excellent reviews Oasis 3rd album garnered?
There are some good tunes on the album but far far too few for my liking.

2.0 out of 5 stars Misleading, 17 Jan 2005
This review is from: Songs For The Deaf (Audio CD)
I have followed QOTSA for many years and after hearing "No one knows" was looking forward to purchasing this album, although i found it to be misleading, yes it starts of promising with a few great tracks, but i feel much of the album is disappointing, a waste of money for me, as i feel i spent far too much for basically what is a single, come on QOTSA bring it together with the next album please.

2.0 out of 5 stars Whatever happened to the rock 'n' roll?, 2 Sep 2002
By A Customer
Oh dear.
After such a wonderful last album, 'Rated R', the "best band of the Glastonbury Festival 2002" (not too hard considering the competition) return with a poor, poor follow up.
Gone is the inventiveness and rock 'n' roll of the songs found on 2001's album, and in it's place lie heavy, monotone 'songs'. Well, I'm sorry but these Queens don't have a clue how to make a record sound truly 'heavy'; all that exists here is stodge. As thick as pea soup and about as bland, the life and soul seems to have disappeared like so many of Nick Oliveri's clothes.
The saving graces, just, are 'No-one Knows', 'Another Love Song' and, strangely, the Kinks cover at the end of the album. But that one is a bonus track.
If you want a truly heavy album that rocks like a madman, get 'The Music' instead. Or The Vines. Or even 'Rated R'. Just steer clear of this twaddle.
Verdict: Like wading through quicksand with two dead bodies on your shoulders (hopefully Nick Oliveri and Josh Homme). Poor.

1.0 out of 5 stars Drivel, 28 Nov 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Songs For The Deaf (Audio CD)
I made the mistake of buying this album on the enormous strength of the debut single, They Don't Know. Very foolish. The remainder of the album is a pretentious cacophony of poorly put together ramblings which merely serve to embarrass the otherwise untouchable Grohl. Anyone who says otherwise is, I'm afraid, merely ignoring the truth. This is utter nonsense and my fellow reviewers were clearly listening to a different album. In fact, I can only remember one song in the album (They Don't Know of course). I'm not sure what the others are.
Pathetic.

ARRAY(0xaa1a2210)

Songs for the Deaf [CD & DVD Set]
Songs for the Deaf [CD & DVD Set] by Queens Of The Stone Age (Audio CD - 2002)