5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Time with Zippy et al.
I've been a Rainbow fan since the 70's. Now, at 42 years of age, I bought this DVD on the pretext of giving it to my two and a half year-old daughter. I'm glad to say she loves it as much as I do. I've bought a few Rainbow videos/DVDs over the years, and I can honestly say that this one is the best compilation of episodes. Fantastic stuff!
Published on 10 Mar 2010 by Mr. A. BENZ

3.0 out of 5 stars Good trip down memory lane, too short though.
Published 15 days ago by Sean Woolfenden

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Time with Zippy et al., 10 Mar 2010
Mr. A. BENZ "Andre Benz" (Bedfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars "Up above the streets and houses...", 19 Mar 2009
This review is from: Rainbow - 30th Anniversary Special Edition [DVD] (DVD)
Whilst this could be viewed as a cynical cash-in on the new-found popularity of the classic kids' TV series, this celebratory DVD is a great way in to the show for those who haven't seen it (yes they're out there!) as well as being a cracking nostalgia trip for all us thirty somethings who grew up with it. For the price this is a complete bargain; if you haven't bought this then stop wasting time reading this and buy it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow- Another Rainbow Classic!!, 25 Sep 2002
This review is from: Rainbow - 30th Anniversary Special Edition [DVD] (DVD)
Have you ever thought to yourself about Rainbow lately. And how badly you want to see it back on Tv, well this latest edition on DVD offers just more than a few classic episodes. The bonus features includes an episode commentary by Zippy + George which is quite funny to say the least. Also, it includes the very first episode of Rainbow called shapes which has a very stupid Bungle and Zippy in shall we say "Over The Top" costumes.
Anyway, to sum up what a great DVD it is. A reccommendation for all of you out there to go and buy this once in a life time DVD that will keep your kids (or yourself) entertained for hours.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny as hell!, 20 Feb 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Rainbow - 30th Anniversary Special Edition [DVD] (DVD)
This is hilarious! The first ever episode is dodgy, to say the least (but at the same time a genius episode!). I never saw the original episode when i was young, which is probably a good thing as I'm pretty sure the original Bungle would have put me off watching it for life when i was a kid, but watching it now me and my friends cry with laughter - the scary Bungle eyes, the ever so camp Geoffrey (though David, the guy in the first episode is also pretty camp) and general ramblings of the amazing Zippy are enough to keep anyone in stitches for a very long time, especially if you get drunk whilst doing so!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect trip down memory lane..., 6 Dec 2008
Alex A.C.M (Chelmsford, Essex) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Rainbow - 30th Anniversary Special Edition [DVD] (DVD)
I think it's safe to say that anyone of my age (was born in late 80s and am now nearly 20, FYI) would agree that Thames TV were behind some of the finest children's TV this country had to offer at the time: Button Moon, Wind in the Willows, Count Duckula, and of course, Rainbow. Between 1972 and 1992 (when Thames TV was sadly nationalized), it provided 30 years of memories, mirth and many other things besides.

This DVD, released in 2002, commemorates those 30 years rather neatly, as 6 classic episodes and the bonus of the show's very first episode are brought together on here. It's amazing to see how much the show progressed from "Shapes" (which is the title of the first episode), into what most of us know it as - the daily antics of Geoffrey, Zippy, George and Bungle in the Rainbow house, with the odd song and dance from Rod, Jane and Freddy (whose own spin off show was also a favourite of mine as a youngster).

Best episodes on here are "The Birthday Cake" (which I distinctly remember my mum/dad taping off the TV for me and me then losing, to my dismay, at a later stage), and "George's Secret Place". The option of audio commentary on the episodes from Zippy and George also makes this DVD a must have to pass onto generations to come. Long may Rainbow's legacy live!

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Rainbow Magic, 2 April 2006
This review is from: Rainbow - 30th Anniversary Special Edition [DVD] (DVD)
Rainbow was undoubtedly one of Thames TV's all-time classics, and this DVD contains samples of all of the ingredients which made it such a unique and special show to watch. It's sure to entertain, and educate, children of all ages. Performances - whether from humans, such as the brilliant frontman Geoffrey Hayes or the great Rod, Jane and Freddy, or their (and our) furry friends, Bungle, Zippy and George - are packed with energy and professionalism, and the calibre of the scriptwriting is high. Each show blends together a characteristically warm, friendly and colourful mix of sketches, songs, films, stories and jokes, which cannot fail to leave the viewer with a sure feel-good factor.
Of special interest in this DVD is "Shapes", by John Kershaw, the first episode of the programme ever to be screened on ITV. Although Rainbow definitely changed and developed over the 20 years that it was produced, all of the vital elements were there right from the start. It's piece of television history which, in this case, the children will appreciate as much as their parents.
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rainbow still going strong!, 24 Aug 2009
This review is from: Rainbow - 30th Anniversary Special Edition [DVD] (DVD)
My daughter just happened to watch an old VHS version of an episode of Rainbow at school one rainy playtime and was completely hooked. So I bought her this and the Zip Up Zippy DVDs from Amazon - she hasn't stopped watching them since, asking for Zippy on every single day! I remember it first time around and thought that there wouldn't be enough in it to keep a modern child entertained but how wrong I was, its still completely watchable and entertaining as ever - brilliant stuff!!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Fantastic Rainbow!, 7 Mar 2009
This review is from: Rainbow - 30th Anniversary Special Edition [DVD] (DVD)
This was a nostalgia buy. For me and my sis and our friends in the 80's, Rainbow was part of everyday life as much as chips and tomato sauce!And Rod, Jane and Freddy with their lovely harmonies were so children friendly. They were so gentle and warm. I think that's the thing about kiddy TV that we all miss-the gentleness! This DVD contains the first ever Rainbow episode, that was completely alien to us when we saw it-but very interesting to see how much the series changed in such a short time. Contains some classic episodes that will take you right back to your childhood!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good trip down memory lane, too short though., 6 Dec 2014
This review is from: Rainbow - 30th Anniversary Special Edition [DVD] (DVD)
Using the same review for these rainbow dvds as i feel its appropriate. These dvds are a good trip down memory lane but they dont last long enough so if you are paying more than £5 per dvd then stay away as some dont even last 1 hour which is a joke for how many episodes were filmed back in the day. Id like to see a mega box set with every episode sometime but i doubt it will happen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 July 2014