4.0 out of 5 stars Big name, well enough made but uninspiring
Uninspiring this basic filter might be and quite deep and chunky - which is fine for a long zoom (I use it on my Nikkor 80-400mm VR lens) as it won't vignette (darken) the corners of the frame. Remember that almost all viewfinders only show around 93-95% of what you actually get and so the effect might be worse than you actually see at the time.

If I used it on...
Published on 1 May 2011 by Tim Kidner

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Filter, but there are better!
This filter is good, well built and it appears to do its job (protecting the lens), but there are better filters out there.

Pros:
1) Cheap.
2) Well built.

Cons:
1) Not the thinnest of filters.
Published on 20 Oct 2009 by M. Witherington

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Filter, but there are better!, 20 Oct 2009
M. Witherington "Gadget Freak" (Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hoya 77mm UV Filter (Accessory)

Pros:
1) Cheap.
2) Well built.

Cons:
1) Not the thinnest of filters.
2) I am not convinced the light transmission is very good (the Hoya web site does not state light transmission figures for this filter, which probably means it's crappy).

I purchased this filter to fit on my 10-20mm Sigma wide angle lens, but have found that although there is no vignetting on its own, if I try to use a polariser on top of this filter then there is vignetting problem and I have to either zoom out to 12mm take the UV filter off (not convenient at all). It must be said that this is not the filters fault; it is my purchasing rationale that was at fault here.

I ordered some Hoya HMC UV filters for other lenses I own and have found these to be a lot thinner, they are multicoated and have greater than 97% light transmission. The Super HMC filter has 99.7% light transmission but I think these are quite expensive. I will over time be replacing all my lens protection filters with the HMC version as these are a good compromise (cost and quality).

I have not experienced any real problems with his filter but would advise purchasing a thinner filter for wide angle lenses in the long run it's worth the extra cash.

4.0 out of 5 stars Big name, well enough made but uninspiring, 1 May 2011
Tim Kidner "Hucklebrook Hound" (Salisbury, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Hoya 77mm UV Filter (Accessory)

If I used it on my pro wideangle Nikkor 17-35mm f2.8 zoom, the corners would be quite badly impeded by the filter.

Also, it's not multicoated. Such would be more useful with a wider lens as the light hits the front element at a more acute angle.

Checking out the price for the HMC (Hoya multicoated) equivalent shows (currently, Amazon) that one to be about the same price as this one and it's also thinner (I have one of those, too and review it).

On that basis, I'd recommend the HMC one, if it is still available at that price. Otherwise, this is a solid, sensible all rounder which gives good value for telephoto lens/zooms.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and cheerful, 23 Oct 2009
T. Wainwright - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hoya 77mm UV Filter (Accessory)
This filter is certainly good value for money and well built.
It does however frequently create extra reflections.
I will certainly be replacing it when funds allow, get a better one if you can afford it.

3.0 out of 5 stars glass protection, 3 Nov 2013
This review is from: Hoya 77mm UV Filter (Accessory)
its clear glass that protects my lens, that is about it, so why so expensive?

Sent to me in no time at all so I can not complain...much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hoya 77mm UVF Filter, 1 Nov 2013
This review is from: Hoya 77mm UV Filter (Accessory)
What a difference this filter made. I. used a normal filter fist, then put this one on. No glare whatsoever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing filter, great price, 19 Aug 2013
This review is from: Hoya 77mm UV Filter (Accessory)
I like this filter! I bought it mostly for protection of my lens and for this purpose is amazing. Hoya products are always the best!

5.0 out of 5 stars Spot on, 2 Jun 2013
This review is from: Hoya 77mm UV Filter (Accessory)
Great build, thin enough to use with ultra wide angle lenses, very little (if any) reflections. Perfect, I use this model on all my lenses. Forget about paying big money for a piece of glass. Wake up to yourself and take your lovely lady or man out for a meal with the money you saved.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps away scratches, 13 April 2013
This review is from: Hoya 77mm UV Filter (Accessory)
Good for the money. Some flare and the quality is not as good as more expensive ones but this is perfect for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Safe Photography, 22 Mar 2013
This review is from: Hoya 77mm UV Filter (Accessory)
I fit one of these onto every lens I buy. That is not all that often thanks to the UV filters.
Your lens' front element can and will get scratched and it is doubtful in this day and age that anyone would undertake to repair it for you - not even the manufacturer. That means a new lens, because the scratch will have an effect. UV filters are cheaper to replace than a marque lens!
This manufacturer is my favourite since I have proved that in my landscape shots it does reduce haze etc.
Incidentally I have actually never had to replace a Hoya UV filter or any other Hoya filter, since as far as I know they have always been made of glass, whereas the front element and probably the rest of the elements in a lens are made of plastic, polycarbonate or some such material and will scratch quite easily.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great filter, 27 Feb 2013
Jonathan siddall (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hoya 77mm UV Filter (Accessory)
Bought primarily as a lens protector.
Does a good job in bright sunshine.
Fits well on the lens, good build quality.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›