on 26 September 2002
"CAN YOU DIG IT?"
At last, a true "Best of..." covering the whole of The Poppies illustrious career. Just looking at the track listing bought the memories flooding back: Waiting outside the record shop to bag the 12" of Sweet Sweet Pie on the day of release, recovering from the shock when they first used a drum machine, sniggering at the words to Beaver Patrol, going to see them on the 'Superpowers' tour in '88 and collecting all those wonderfull shirts...
This "Best Of" seems to have been put together by someone who likes the Poppies and I'm glad to see it isn't heavilly focused on the end of their career which wasn't my favorite era. Highlights for me include Candydiosis, No Love and Dance of the Mad.
Although the die hard fan will have everything here (Surely there must have been something slightly rarer around) this is the first time the whole of their career is in one place. I know I'll end up buying it as I'm sure most fans will. Hopefully the younger fans will learn that there was more to the Poppies than Ski hats and remixes.
To those who may have chanced upon this CD without much knowledge of the Poppies, enjoy it for what it is - a chronical of one of the UK's most original and influential bands who are still sorely missed today.
0Comment38 of 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 June 2015
Winner! The only compilation which includes ALL the classics.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 December 2015
Amazing
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 April 2008
It has perhaps a little too much of the early days in relation to latter day material. That said for new comers it is an ssentil purchase, for fans? maybe. The songs are mostly excellent and as a collection of Pwei songs go it is the strongest to date.
Never rub another mans rhubarb.
on 15 September 2011
no cd in case!gutted,ruined my birthday,ruined my whole life,i may never get over this.big disappointment,whoever put the case in the jiffy bag wants a kick up the arse.i guess it'll be up to me to sort this out,consider me an unhappy bunny :(i haven't been this annoyed since i stayed at a travelodge,wow are those places run like a police state.
0Comment0 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse