Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now

on 1 March 2003
Purchasers should note that this is NOT a soundtrack album - the title is (I quote) "Music from and inspired by THE PIANIST". That said, this is an evocative album, with a selection of Chopin's piano works adeptly performed by Janusz Olejniczak. Only one piece of incidental music from the film is included.
The real bonus is the final track - a performance by Szpilman himself, recorded in 1948. The imperfections of the original recording only add to the poignancy of this track.It sounds and feels like a very personal interpretation of a Chopin mazurka.
Personally, I would have liked the compilers to include the performance of Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" which can be heard briefly in the film.
If you enjoyed this wonderful film, you will enjoy the album. However, I only give it 4 stars as I feel a true soundtrack album, plus the original Szpilman recording, would have been a better choice.
11 comment|116 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 April 2011
I have heard at least 5 versions of these songs, but no one as good as these ones by far. It really excites you. Janusz is the best pianist for Chopin. I promise you won't be able to stop listening to it. It is not a film soundtrack, it is a compilation of Chopin (they just took the name of the movie). Can't miss it.
on 29 July 2010
By no means an expert in classical music, however this CD is phenomenal. The film is truly touching, and reflecting upon it always emotes me. The CD is just as powerful.

own it!
on 10 April 2011
This music, that I have been listening to for quite a long time, is in my opinion one the best recordings of Chopin's works.
It is very atmospheric and full of feeling CD.
on 28 July 2011
One of my favourite soundtracks since Schindler's list. The beautiful instrumentals stay with you well after you've switched your iPod off.
on 16 March 2010
Well, you gotta see the movie but this CD is wonderful in itself. Very nice soundtrack.
on 31 May 2010
I've had Chopin LPs, tapes and their replacements when worn out, but most of this selection is the best I have ever heard. Chopin must have taken vain pride in the fact that not only could he compose blissful masterpieces, but few of his contemporaries could plan them well. Well, this Olejniczak conjures up my picture of Chopin, frequently showing off, playing like an athlete with two pairs of hands. On some passages, close your eyes and you will feel your mind and body transported and bounced on the rippling notes. The last track has a recording of the real Szpilman and (okay, you may point out the magic of modern recording) you will see what I mean.
on 1 July 2015
Excellent product, price & Delivery.
on 30 March 2015
just ok I expected something better
on 16 November 2014