on 17 March 2016
Kids enjoyed it
on 28 January 2014
A present.
This set of season one episodes comprises all fifteen as well as the original pilot, in which Malcolm is diagnosed as `gifted'. I too come from a family in which I was gifted with, let's say a `precocious intelligence' at an early age (look where it got me!) and in which the only female was Mum: hence, I can identify with some of Malcolm's problems. But, hey, the series is wickedly funny anyway, and this is partly down to its willingness to embrace the realism of modern family relationships.

In addition, the series was not studio-based and therefore did not have a studio audience; instead it went out into the surrounding neighbourhood and into the schoolyard to add realism. Additionally, the series eschewed canned laughter (a great blessing). Malcolm's own direct addresses to the camera are the icing on the cake for me, following in a long line of such comic set-pieces going back to the resigned stare of Oliver Hardy. I crack up every time I watch Malcolm's similar frustrated stare to camera as Stevie Kenarben tries to tell his joke.

Many of these features are highlighted in the generous extras that accompany the DVD set. These include commentaries made four years after the first season aired. The commentaries are by the creator of the series, Linwood Boomer, as well as some of the actors, the writers of the shows, and directors of the episodes. Boomer himself explains how much of the series is based on his own family childhood experiences. We also learn such things as Frankie Muniz actually being younger than Justin Berfield, and that the part of Kenarben terrified the network.

Other extras include a forty-three-minute documentary on the series, some bloopers, deleted scenes, and a portrait of Erik Per Sullivan. There's also a behind-the-scenes preview of season two, but at the time of writing (2011) none of the later seasons is available on DVD due (bizarrely) to "music copyright issues" (Wikipedia). The fact that the story of the last episode of season one is "to be continued" makes this all the more frustrating (*stares at camera*). Ah, well, after all, "life IS unfair".
on 29 December 2011
Ordered before Christmas as a present, a bit worried as
had to come from America. Arrived in plenty of time.
DVD as advertised. Very Pleased
on 23 August 2011
My whole family love this show! Unfortunately have only been able to view it on T.V. as, after several years of waiting, have still been unable to find 'Malcolm in the Middle' DVDs suitable for viewing on the European format! Does anyone know why we still can't buy Region 2 format and whether it will soon become available?
The comedy in these shows is fantastic...so quick-witted and the actors are terrific!
Let's hope more of the U.K.(& European) public will soon be able to experience this American humour...I thoroughly recommend it!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 June 2009
This isnt a review i know,its just me joining in the never ending
requests here at Amazon for this hilarious and wonderful American
comedy to be released on REGION 2 DVD.
Please..please..pretty please!Its abundantly clear there is a huge
audience ready and waiting for it,and im quite confidant this would
sell in droves.
I came across this side splittingly funny gem of a series by accident
on a Sky channel earlier this year.I am now hooked completely,my life
is arranged around the screenings,i even find myself scouring the TV
listings to see when its on.
A sort of live action version of "The Simpsons",but in my opinion much
funnier.This is a programme that can be viewed on many levels and can
be enjoyed by every member of the family from the tiny tots to your
granny.
So,now that i have got that off my chest,lets just hope that we dont
have much longer to wait.Fox,or whoever is responsible for clearence,
distribution of the DVDs...PLEASE PUT US OUT OF OUR MISERY!
on 5 June 2009
Likewise, we love this show - it is one of the funniest family comedies I've ever seen. I would buy the complete set if I could use it in Ireland.
on 20 November 2008
malcolm is one of the best series i've ever seen. make it region 2!!

on 24 June 2008
I wanted to add my own pleas to those of others - I would buy as many series of Malcolm as they put out in a UK-compatible format. My family and I absolutely loved this show - so witty original and classy compared to much of what IS freely available.
on 14 June 2007
This is intelligent comedy that can be appreciated by young and old and it needs to be made more widley available. Like many others before me I would like to see it released on region 2 DVD asap - even just Series 1 would be a start.

its not much to ask - the demand is there