5.0 out of 5 stars Crime against humanity
Published on 29 July 2006 by Dennion

1.0 out of 5 stars Glorified child abuse and other family sitcom cliches
I have tried to like Malcolm in the Middle since its inception. There are certainly funny moments, and the cast is talented and occasionally extremely charming, but I just can't stomach the overall premise. It's a tired rehash of the mamma knows best theme that has been visited in Rosanne, Momma's Family, Married with Children, and even Friends. The underlying message is...
Published on 27 Dec 2003 by Andrew Parodi

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Crime against humanity, 29 July 2006
Dennion (Merseyside UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Malcolm in Middle: Season 1 [DVD] [2000] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] (DVD)
Go into your local CD / DVD superstore and gaze for miles at the host of indifferent movies and yawn-inducing TV sets that are available for instant purchase. Then ask yourself this question; how can western society call itself civilised when the fabulous 'Malcolm in the Middle' is not released in any form either here or in the states, bar this Region 1 edition of the first series? It's tragic!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Region 2 DVD, 24 Nov 2005
Mr. I. S. Dulley "iandulley" (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
I think Malcolm In The Middle is one of the finest family tv comedies to be shown on tv in recent years. For one, my entire family sits down to watch it and it's the only time they're quiet for more than 5 minutes.
I was disappointed to learn that they may not release further seasons of the show because there is a lot of clearing to be done concerning the music used in each episode (not just the theme tune, every snippet of music that features in the programme, be it short, inaudible or whatever). Fox don't think they will recoup their initial losses from sales of DVDs, hence why it's taking so long to release any more seasons.

5.0 out of 5 stars malcolm in the middle, 2 Oct 2004
Malcolm in the Middle, what can I say? I've been a huge fan since the series first started, as have most of you guys I bet. But does the same question arise on your tongue too? When will they become available in the UK??? I have looked all over and can find nothing. Only NSTC. We Malcolm fans need PAL!!! come on people lets see it on our region for the true fans to watch in our own time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than The Simpsons?, 24 Jan 2006
By A Customer
This is one of the few "laugh out loud" tv shows around. It is a shame it has been cancelled as it has been consistently funny. Admittedly the latter series have not been as skewed as the first couple of seasons but it is still better than it's peers. But the characters have all been allowed to develop and for me this how I would imagine a live action Simpsons would appear. There are plenty of characters to enjoy outside the regular family unit, Commandant Spengler, Craig Felspar (Lois' creepy co-worker, who has a crush on her), the Grandmother from hell, played by Cloris Leachman no less.
I have been a fan from day one and I have the DVD set and it is interesting to watch some of the development footage where Linwood Boomer ( creator ) makes reference to Lois being an ogre and how it was met with some resistance in the US. Not only that the DVD has a stonking "making of" that had me splitting my sides when I first watched it.
If you are a fan, buy yourself a cheap multi region player and then get the DVD set, it is well worth the money.
And my message to Fox would be, get the rest of the seasons out asap before it becomes forgotten.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why are we waiting.....?, 20 Aug 2004
By A Customer
When will Malcolm in the Middle be available to buy in the UK? It is without a doubt one of the funniest things on tv at the moment, it propelled me towards trying to buy the box set, when I never buy box sets... but it isn't even available!!! Please bring it out on dvd.
A fan

4.0 out of 5 stars In response the the last guy, 8 Jan 2004
By A Customer
I'd be interested in what exactly Andrew Parodi finds funny. The series does already address most of the scenarios which he suggests would make it "groundbreaking" but if it laboured these points it would be very dull. I think each character has something new to offer and the suggestion that the mother is abusive is ridiculous. While she is obviously a loving mother, her hilarious outbursts of rage is just a personification of the pent up anger that any other mother would feel in a similar situation. It does not represent a decline in moral values or double standards in gender roles in the family .I do not for a second think the programme is meant to be making any political statements it is just another take on dysfunctional family life genre with the new spin of it being exaggrated to the point of cartoon-like bizarreness. With the Simpsons running low on steam and Family Guy being the blatant copy (while trying to better it by being more outrageous), I think Malcolm in the Middle does stand out as noticibly more charming and refreshing.
Please can people stop trying to analyse the fun out of everything and trying to apply their vague understanding of their tv and media studies courses and tiring ideals of political correctness and enjoy the few programmes on tv that are actually good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Please make this available in the UK, 24 Jun 2008
I wanted to add my own pleas to those of others - I would buy as many series of Malcolm as they put out in a UK-compatible format. My family and I absolutely loved this show - so witty original and classy compared to much of what IS freely available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Region 2 Malcolm in the Middle DVD's???, 17 July 2004
By A Customer
I know this is not exactly a review but I couldn't find anywhere else to post my question.
Does anybody know if Malcolm in the Middle region 2 DVD's will become available in Europe??? I saw that series 1 has been available in America since 2002 and wondered if the DVDs would ever be available here???
I really enjoy watching Malcolm in the Middle and always end up with a sore stomach from laughing. Top Quality Show!!!
Thanks for your time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Comedy Programme Ever!!!!, 16 July 2006
J. Ledbroook "jocl13" (England) - See all my reviews
I think ive seen every episode in all of the 7 series... i would definately buy some series on DVD except none have been released in region 2... and i am now starting to get annoyed with the wait... a definate buy... if they ever get released

5.0 out of 5 stars why why why, 6 May 2007
This is unequivocally my favourite programme in the world. I would happily trade my entire dvd collection for the complete series on REGION 2. Somebody help me.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›