Really Nasty Horse Racing Game
Package Quantity: 1Style Name: ClassicChange
Price:£34.79+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 6 January 2004
This game arrived amongst the other Christmas parcels and at first we thought "horse racing, fun?".
4 days and about 20+ playing hours later I'd recommend it to anyone.
It really encourages the evil streak we all possess to jump to the forefront.
There is nothing more satisfying than hemming in an opponent, watching the horses line up at the jump because everyone is scared to land on the hedge, playing one of your nasty cards and then watching your 50:1 outsider romp home to victory.
Being an outrageous risk taker there were many games I finished broke or with minimal cash, but there was the one where I won £10 million :D
Even the games where I was broke were fun, because I still got to cause havok on the track.
Be warned though if you are a bad loser this deffintely is NOT the game for you...
It is probably best suited to adults to fully appreciate the game, and alcohol really just adds to the experience!
I don't think it is going to get as much floor time as Jenga, Monopoly or Scrabble in the long term, but I think it will always be one of the "pull it out the cupboard for a quick shot and rediscover the joys" games. More of a play it every few months, than every week, type game.
on 22 October 2002
This is an adult game which lives up to its name. A wickedly nasty streak gives a player a distinct advantage in this mixture of snide betting and devious racing tactics.
The game defninitely works best with at least 4, preferably the full 6 players as well as an adequate supply of wine & snacks as it can take quite a while to complete the full race meeting.
Choose your opponents wisely - preferably those who won't bear a grudge as this game inevitably results in some serious rows as you call a stewards' enquiry just as your opponent thinks he's won the top prize. And remove all forks unless you want one in the back of your hand!
Excellent fun.
on 28 December 2005
This is a great game. Don't be put off by the rules, have a hands on learning session, it's much much better. It's a great game as it got people who didn't usually play games, playing. You had to stop trying to make your piece win and think about how to help other players win which was quite hard for me to grasp to begin with. It's excellent fun and shockingly mean, great to play in team or alone. It teaches maths, strategy, teamwork and of course how to put on a good face when you lose millions of pounds.
on 4 December 2005
My brother gave me this game as a Christmas present (2004) and we have played it more than any other board game in the subsequent year. OK, so it is fairly complex to pick it up the first time (I would recommend remaining relatively sober until you've got to grips with it). But spending a bit of time to learn the rules at the beginning is definitely worth it, as the game-play is so rewarding. We've had players aged from 12 to 60+ enjoying it. Even the most mild-mannered ones end up using their cunning to sabotage the outcome!! MUCH less boring than Monopoly (which seems to drag on) every player has a stake in every move, so your interest is maintained throughout.
on 20 March 2005
This game brings the fun of horse racing into the home! Each player chooses a horse and races around the board for the prize money! 'Really nasty cards' can be used to disqualify that horse about to take 1st prize, ensure the horse you have bet on comes first (even if it means dashing your hopes of winning) and even getting a Steward's Enquiry! Be warned though - alliances will be formed and broken and sore losers will not be able for this game at all! By the way, this game gets a 4 star rating in educational value as it teaches people how to lose gracefully (if played often enough), a skill we could all use!
on 22 April 2012
I bought this game about 4 months ago when looking for a new and different board game. Having read the reviews initially I was impressed that pretty much everyone thought this game was worth playing.

Finally last night me and my wife invited her parents round for dinner and we are known for having a few drinks and playing a few games of cards or other board games. This was the chance I had been waiting for.....

(I would suggest not being too drunk before learnimng to play)

Setting up of the game is fairly straight forward and I would def reccomend familiarising yourself with what and how the "Really Nasty Cards" work so you know when and how to play them.

As it was our first time we read the instructions as we went along (so this takes a little more time) but after we had established how the game works in principle you will pick it up very quickly.

the game effective is a race meting over 6 races, prize money differs for placing 1st 2nd and 3rd, you are allowed to know which races are worth the most money so you can determine your "Stable entry horse" (you have a horse rating from 1-6, 1 being your best horse all the way down to your worst horse 6. (this is purely for setting the bettings odd when given that races starting lane number.

The object is simple to finish the game with teh most amount of money which can be earned in 1 of 2 ways. 1) Finsh 1st, 2nd or 3rd in a race to win the prize money. 2) bet on either your own horse or an opponents horse to win the race. (odds are worked out before the race so you can decide which horse you want to bet on, it's simply worked out by the stable entry and the starting lane.

During the race you roll a dice and move the amount shown, you can move forward and sideways, some course sections allow you to double your roll if you had landed on the relevant land and position.

you will also be given at the start of teh game some really nasty cards, which are events that can take place during, befoe or even after a race, hence at the top of my review learning what and how each card works will be of great benefit to all players.

thats really a simple overview of how to play the game, i may have missed out a few minor points but you'll pick it up in no time.

one thing i will point out is bets are minimum of £5000 but there is no maximum,

BE DEVIOUS, remember mice guys def finish last in this game.

This game is a must, we had a blast playing and as such will be making more planned nights of drink and nasty horse racing :)
on 23 March 2009
I bought this as I was looking for a new board game - something I hadn't played before and something that wasn't the normal sort of boardgame that people tend to play.

Let me tell you - one game of this and you'll be hooked. It's so good I bought a 2nd copy of it to keep safe just in case I wear the original out and the company end up going bust.

The basic premise is that you've each got a horse, there are 6 races/cups with varying prize money levels and you have a choice of form (1-6) that can only be used once. There are also lane cards that dictate which racing lane you will be in for that race.

Do you use your best horse on the cup with the biggest pot or do you go against the grain and save your best for that dead cert low end pot that nobody else will bother with?

Based on your lane and your form the odds chart is drawn up, you are able to make one bet per race (its secret till the end of the race), you can get money from either winning the race with your own horse or betting on the winner.

Sounds pretty straightforward doesn't it?

That's where the Really Nasty cards come in.

There are several fences around the course, there are Really Nasty cards that allow you to make a rider fall from the horse, losing the race. You've got a bet on the winner? he's almost there and happens to land on the last fence with your opponent betting on the horse coming in 2nd you may find that your dead cert ends up dead in the water.

Fantastic game, needs to be played by adults as it can get quite heated and emotional. Turns the regular idea of the board game on it's head.

I can't recommend this enough. Buy it now.
on 20 July 2004
If you know the original version of this game, this is a poor edition. Only 1 dice and pencil for all the players instead of 1 each, a smaller playing board that incorporates the bookmakers board that was separate. But worst of all the horses are now 2D pieces of plastic instead of the models there use to be. Its the same game, which is tremendous fun, I just think this is VERY bad value for money.
on 8 December 2003
Ever wanted to cheat the bookies? This game lets you without breaking the law.
I first played this game a couple of years back, and before playing it instantly thought I'd hate it as I hate horse racing. FEAR NOT. It's simple to play and can be a very close fought thing. You don't need to know about horse racing or like it, infact, You don't even need a degree in maths to work out your winnings (although you might choose to use a calculator). It is a particularly nasty game at times, and yet is always fun. Don't be afraid to throw the race, in most cases it's actually best to bet on the opposition!!! In a couple of years it'll be a bit boring but with the amount of fun you'll get out of it, it's well worth it.
REMEMBER TO SET THE VIDEO FOR THE CHRISTMAS FILMS, EVEN IF YOU INTEND TO WATCH THEM, CHANCES ARE YOU'LL BE PLAYING THIS GAME INSTEAD.
on 28 October 2007
Our family got this last christmas and have played it so much since then. The rules do need a good read through, but it only took once and then it was easy. We got plenty of practice from the six races in each game and for some reason i always win! :)
Intense action and the really nasty cards add a hilarious twist to the game. Definitely worth buying if you like board games.