5.0 out of 5 stars JACK ROSENTHAL'S BEST
It would be hard to deny that this is Mr Maureen Lipman's best comedy drama. Every real-life London cabbie has seen this film and knows it off by heart. "Manor House to Gipton Square."
Would-be cabbies recite routes verbatim like children learning their times tables. Grown men are reduced to tears in the interrogation sessions, called...
Published on 14 April 2001 by D. V. GATENBY

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable Viewing
Quite enjoyed the film, although I found the pace a bit slow at times, and the format of going in and out of the examiners office for testing grated a bit after half an hour. I watched it til the end and it was OK, but can't say it will be in my top-50 films of all time.
Published on 17 Oct. 2011 by Mr. P. Fixter

5.0 out of 5 stars Top film with an insight to how cabbies train., 3 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Knowledge [DVD] [1979] (DVD)
I bought this title some years ago on VHS and have enjoyed watching it several times. I haven't had chance to watch this DVD version yet so can't comment on the quality of the recording, on my VHS copy I found the level of sound very poor so I do hope the DVD is better in this aspect. (I will add to my review after watching)

I am looking forward to watching this again as it's one of my favourites.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the best!, 24 Aug. 2011
D. Mitchell (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Knowledge [DVD] [1979] (DVD)
This is one of the best films I've seen for a long time. The acting is impeccable! Nice to see Micheal Elphick again and Lesley Joseph! The story keeps your attention all the way through...you want to see who succeeds and who fails. A good look back to 70/80's London. Yes, it's dated and the picture quality is not that great but if you can see past that this film is very much worth watching!

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 20 Dec. 2014
Mr. Richard J. Corfield "Richard" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Knowledge [DVD] [1979] (DVD)
Funny, interesting film. Nigel Hawthorne is excellent, great slice of London life, good enjoyable pace. Highly recommended. (I was one when this was released, if you're much older than me, you'll probably enjoy the trip down memory lane even more than I did!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful story of how to become a London cabbie, 30 Mar. 2014
J. Knoke "Hapamama" (San Diego) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Knowledge [DVD] [1979] (DVD)
As an American, I never knew the tests people had to go through to become a London cabbie. This was a great and informative, funny story. Sir Nigel Hawthorne was the best! Fun to watch. I recommend this movie to anyone interested in traveling around London.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amusing and rewarding, 30 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Knowledge [DVD] [1979] (DVD)
Saw this many years ago when I was a teenager and thought at the time it was all about passing the taxi test. Viewing it again now I can
appreciate all the different roles of the actors and how cleverly this has been written.

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic television, 30 Dec. 2011
Antbridge (Grays, Essex, GB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Knowledge [DVD] [1979] (DVD)
Jack Rosenthal wrote many screenplays for television. This is the best. Nigel Hawthorne is excellent in his role here. I have watched this many times since it was first aired and I shall continue to watch it periodically.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very witty., 10 Nov. 2011
This review is from: The Knowledge [DVD] [1979] (DVD)
Nigel Hawthorn plays the role of cab driver examiner with an amusing sarcastic witty sense of humour. A student asked how he was expected to memorize so many street names and routes. He was told to get on his bike. Many place names will be familiar to Londoners. The movie was created in the good old days before movies became deliberately infested with blasphemy. I was almost expecting an appearance by Metropolitan Police Inspector "Dixon of Dock Green". The movie shows classic cars no longer gracing the streets. I hope to show the movie to my grand children one day. It will teach them about the good old days.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Jack Rosenthals funniest TV productions, 6 Jan. 2012
This review is from: The Knowledge [DVD] [1979] (DVD)
What can I say!! This was written by Jack Rosenthal and although it must be twenty years since it was first shown on TV still stands as one of the funniest things I have seen on TV. Glad it's still going.

5.0 out of 5 stars For every Londoner, 17 May 2014
This review is from: The Knowledge [DVD] [1979] (DVD)
Saw this years ago and was amazed attire training taxi drivers had to go through. But the humour is wonderful and the actors who became big names fascinating, and Nigel Hawthorne is priceless.

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 10 Dec. 2012
This review is from: The Knowledge [DVD] [1979] (DVD)
This is my favourite ever TV film. I've had a videotape for years, and this DVD is much better, though the quality is still rather limited owing to the age and nature of the original recording.

The Knowledge [DVD] [1979]
The Knowledge [DVD] [1979] by Bob Brooks (III) (DVD - 2003)