5.0 out of 5 stars JACK ROSENTHAL'S BEST
It would be hard to deny that this is Mr Maureen Lipman's best comedy drama. Every real-life London cabbie has seen this film and knows it off by heart. "Manor House to Gipton Square."
Would-be cabbies recite routes verbatim like children learning their times tables. Grown men are reduced to tears in the interrogation sessions, called...
Published on 14 April 2001 by D. V. GATENBY

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable Viewing
Quite enjoyed the film, although I found the pace a bit slow at times, and the format of going in and out of the examiners office for testing grated a bit after half an hour. I watched it til the end and it was OK, but can't say it will be in my top-50 films of all time.
Published on 17 Oct 2011 by Mr. P. Fixter

5.0 out of 5 stars Amusing and rewarding, 30 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Knowledge [DVD] [1979] (DVD)
Saw this many years ago when I was a teenager and thought at the time it was all about passing the taxi test. Viewing it again now I can
appreciate all the different roles of the actors and how cleverly this has been written.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet but dated., 19 Jan 2014
--Gene (Somewhere in the USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Knowledge [DVD] [1979] (DVD)
I first saw this decades ago when it was broadcast by my local public television station in the USA. I hadn't thought about it for years until I watched the latest '7 Up' installment.
This is a sweet little film, obviously made for tv on a shoestring budget. Most of the humor has aged well, although a few of the character portrayals are a bit overdone. It's nice to see some of the bits of London that are now long gone.

4.0 out of 5 stars A blast from the past!, 26 Dec 2013
D. Middleton (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Knowledge [DVD] [1979] (DVD)
My husband is a black cab driver and he originally had this on video, so it was a must to get it on dvd. He thoroughly enjoyed revisiting the challenges of the knowledge from his armchair!

5.0 out of 5 stars the knowledge, 29 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Knowledge [DVD] [1979] (DVD)
brilliant film..as i am currently on the knowledge myself it does make me larf..not bad for an old style fim where the haircuts are as old as the mopeds..bit different nowadays though with all those double red lines and bus lane and bus stand cameras and so many restrictions everywhere in london..better in the 70's when people didn't get stung and ripped off for putting their front wheel in a money making box lol..

5.0 out of 5 stars KNOWLEDGE IS A WONDERFUL THING, 6 Mar 2013
Miss Linda M. Hodson (manchester uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Knowledge [DVD] [1979] (DVD)
i like jack roshenthalls work in general.
i am an ex cab driver
i would reccomend it to all my taxi driver friends

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 10 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Knowledge [DVD] [1979] (DVD)
This is my favourite ever TV film. I've had a videotape for years, and this DVD is much better, though the quality is still rather limited owing to the age and nature of the original recording.

5.0 out of 5 stars Typical Knowledge Learning, 10 May 2012
Ms. S. Cowan (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Knowledge [DVD] [1979] (DVD)
My father could tell stories about taking the Knowledge,I loved to listen to them all again and again. This programme showed the process as I was told about it. LOVED IT!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Jack Rosenthals funniest TV productions, 6 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Knowledge [DVD] [1979] (DVD)
What can I say!! This was written by Jack Rosenthal and although it must be twenty years since it was first shown on TV still stands as one of the funniest things I have seen on TV. Glad it's still going.

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic television, 30 Dec 2011
Antbridge (Grays, Essex, GB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Knowledge [DVD] [1979] (DVD)
Jack Rosenthal wrote many screenplays for television. This is the best. Nigel Hawthorne is excellent in his role here. I have watched this many times since it was first aired and I shall continue to watch it periodically.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the best!, 24 Aug 2011
D. Mitchell (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Knowledge [DVD] [1979] (DVD)
This is one of the best films I've seen for a long time. The acting is impeccable! Nice to see Micheal Elphick again and Lesley Joseph! The story keeps your attention all the way through...you want to see who succeeds and who fails. A good look back to 70/80's London. Yes, it's dated and the picture quality is not that great but if you can see past that this film is very much worth watching!

The Knowledge [DVD] [1979]
The Knowledge [DVD] [1979] by Bob Brooks (III) (DVD - 2003)
7.99