Format: DVD|Change

on 23 February 2009
This is fantasy wish-fulfillment for kids. Kids doing the big dangerous jobs, "Thunderbirds" reduced to the scope of a kid. The packaging is lovely too, with the 5 discs presented in a digipak in a fold-out cross formation.

The extras round out the package. If you liked "Thunderbirds", this is also one for your collection.
on 19 February 2003
I'm a dyed in the wool Anderson fan, and I was in the target audience when this was first made. Watching it now, I still get the same childish buzz that I used to back then. It appeals to the action hero in every little boy, and as a programme has aged remarkably well (as have most of Anderson's post-Fireball XL5 offerings).
Unfortunately, the DVD set as a product is not quite so hot. The re-mastering has been performed adequately well, and the pictures are largely crisp and steady. But there are a couple of instances where they are positively gloomy. Maybe the video or film stock they were lifted from was in poor condition. Even more of a let-down are the menus and extras. The menus clearly haven't been properly debugged and sometimes do some odd things. The text of the various information panels has not been quality checked with odd spelling and editing mistakes. Spread across the 5 disks are character biogs and equipment information dossiers, and one other feature which varies from disk to disk. All in all this comes across as a "bare minimum" with hints of it having been rushed out.
Even as a fanatically regressive kid I can't bring myself to award this set the final star.
I was born in 1970 and as a child I was brought up on some classic TV, made by the genius Gerry Anderson....Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlett, Sting Ray,Secret Service, Space 1999 and Joe 90. All were creatively brilliant. Joe 90 a young boy, who through use of a brainwave machine becomes a secret agent capable of performing any mission.

Whilst I don't think its in the same league as Thunderbirds, as each episode has a run time of around 22 minutes and the characters don't get developed as much as in Thunderbirds, its still a great set of futuristic children's programmes.

The next generation can now enjoy Anderson's genius through these DVD's.

Highly enjoyable.
on 6 January 2011
A wonderfull classic 1960s series at its very best !!
You dont need me to tell you how special and special this is - just read the other reviews.
If you got as far as reading this review, then what are you waiting for !! you should of bought it by now - this really is so good.
So go on buy it, put your feet up , get yourself a nice beer, even invite the kids, and if you have blu ray player even better, as the upscale is really amazing ! and enjoy this top quality DVD. HAPPY DAYS
on 4 May 2015
In 1968, I too was a 9 year old boy, and by the time I needed specs a couple of years later ( and they were the thick National Health type), I believe I actually was Joe 90. Indeed, my nick name in high school soon became 'four eyes', however, once I expressed my dislike of that name, and had managed to persuade the ringleaders that calling me that name was not advantageous to their health, I became 'Joe', as in Joe 90.
Watching them again, in digitally re-mastered format, takes me back to my youth . . . . . . excellent.
on 14 October 2013
Whilst I find Joe's adventures less exciting than those of the Tracey boys this is still an excellent package of the full WIN collection in one complete box set, and there are some classic episodes and moments. The professor's car is excellent, not as mad as the backwards ones that Spectrum drive, the BIG RAT looks good and Joe himself copes brilliantly well with the fact that his dad brainwashes him and sends him on all manner of dangerous missions. My favourite episode ? Lone handed 90, of course !
on 7 May 2016
Was bought as a gift. The person it was for was really pleased. For anyone who has never heard of this it is about a young boy with a genius for a father. He invents a machine which can take the brainwaves and knowledge from a person without doing any damage to that person. He can then transfer the knowledge required to someone else. In this case it is always his son who becomes a secret agent for the American government, code name Joe 90. I used to love this as a child.
VINE VOICEon 22 April 2010
This took me firmly back to my childhood and I was not disappointed. My boy loves it too, Joe 90 crosses another generation.
on 14 October 2003
Just to start things off i only bought this series because it interested me. I must say Captain Scarlet is my favourite Gerry Anderson series, but Joe 90 is now close second. Made just after Captain Scarlet, Joe 90 set in the now modern day (2003)and tells the story of a professor Mclaine and his son joe. With the aid of the 'BIG RAT' joe is able to recieve peoples brain patturns and take on tasks for the world intelligence network (W.I.N). The music for the episode 'Hi-Jacked' shows barry greys genious when composing music.
This is a must buy for any gerry anderson fan.
on 20 December 2013
FAB! I can't believe I have to leave a review just to stop emails ! If I didn't like the item you would be the first to know ! Take it as read I like it ! Duh ! You don't have to leave a bloody review every time you go to shop at John Lewis or wherever, talk about your voice being heard Argggggggggggh ! But if this helps... Twas a good experience !