4.0 out of 5 stars Looking for a different aerobic challenge?
Published on 22 Sep 2002 by Gemini Dragonfly

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun but flawed
As workouts go, this is a fun one, but can't decide whether it's about exercise or dance. The two basic routines are much more workout than dance, and manageable for most people with a little practice. But the last routine is fast dance, and has no instructions. This makes it far too hard to follow for all except really expert dancers.
The main irritations for me,...
Published on 13 Jun 2004 by _psyche

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun but flawed, 13 Jun 2004
This review is from: Honey Kalaria's Bollywood Workout [DVD] (DVD)
The main irritations for me, though, were in the production values. The music was added after filming, which means that most of the time it doesn't fit the movements, and this will annoy dancers no end. And the filming was terrible. The wide shot was too close, and cut off the top of Honey's hands when she was showing high hand movements. And the frequent close-ups were too close - a sudden side view of the dancers' stomachs is really unhelpful when you're trying to copy them!
I'd give it an overall plus, as I think it's just about fun enough to keep me doing it. Just don't buy it in the hope of learning Bollywood dance.

4.0 out of 5 stars Looking for a different aerobic challenge?, 22 Sep 2002
Bored of the slower paced yoga videos? Want an alternative to step aerobics? Look no further than the Bollywood workout. The video is an ideal length, has a good music soundtrack and is presented quite well. Honey isn't irritating or patronizing like some instructors and the pre-exercise section breaks down the hand movements very well. It is a fast paced workout which does get a little more complicated as it goes along but if you like a challenge it will appeal. You certainly work up a sweat, it's not a video for lightweights. Enjoy!

2.0 out of 5 stars It's okayish but..., 31 May 2003
I like the idea of getting fit through dance rather than specific fitness movements, so I bought Bollywood Workout on this basis. I liked Honey and the way she presented the programme, and went through some of the Bollywood dance movements before beginning, but the biggest problem is that there are many places where she is totally out of time with the music, which makes it really difficult and uncomfortable to follow. I am pretty well coordinated and pick up new moves quickly, but I was all over the place with this routine - I found it really hard to do sometimes, and I also got quite bored. I thought the music was awful, which is inexcusable because there are loads of funky Indian sounds around - that was one of the biggest disappointments. I wouldn't really recommend this video which is a shame because I think the basic premise is a good one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bollywood brilliance, 19 Sep 2002
Mrs M A Gibbs (Colchester, Essex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
It was my husband's idea to buy this title and I have to say that I was very sceptical.........of the video and his motivation! However, upon first trying it out I was sold on the music and exhilirating moves. As a committed stepper, it took me a while to get used to the routines, particularly the hands, but they are well explained by Honey at the beginning of the video and do improve with practice. Having mastered the enigmatically named Woof Woof and Classical hands, I gained enough confidence to do Arabic arms - very exotic. The workout is well suited to a range of fitness levels and does provide a challenging aerobic workout as well as improving posture and style. I found it a refreshing change from my usual diet of aerobic stepping and yoga titles and really lots of fun!!!!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars good value and fun, 30 Sep 2002
By A Customer
I was interested in buying an instructional dance video, but couldn't find any I was interested in within my price range. The Bollywood workout is a good introduction to Bollywood and Bhangra dance styles, but is also an enjoyable excercise video.
It is well paced, with a low impact and high impact section, and it keeps the brain concentrating on getting the moves looking good, rather than thinking about how tired you are.
My only fault with it is that sometimes the presenter is out of time with the music, which I find distracting. Personally I don't like being reminded to keep smiling, either!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pacey and fun, 7 Oct 2002
By A Customer
Don't be deceived by the pretty pink box on this workout - it is actually surprisingly high impact! It is a good all round workout but particularly for the arms compared to other exercise programmes, and it doesn't take long to break into a sweat whilst still looking elegant and stylish (I hope)! I loved this - my only complaint is that there is too much spinning and dipping in one sequence and I ended up dizzy!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Bolly Good, 17 Oct 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Honey Kalaria's Bollywood Workout [DVD] (DVD)
This was a DVD I bought when I wanted to progress from my novice ones. Even though I am much fitter now, regularly using high impact DVDs, I still return to this now and then as I enjoy the moves. Also, I've found that on the higher impact part of this DVD, once you are fitter you can seriously work up a sweat on it. There is no toning part, which is a shame, but otherwise I rate this; there is nothing intimidating about it yet you can feel it is doing you good. As other reviewers have pointed out, the music doesn't always fit the moves but they are wrong to say that Holly can't therefore dance: clearly, the routines were put together without music and that has been added afterwards. It can be distracting if you have done any dance before, but you can learn to ignore it.

4.0 out of 5 stars This really is a workout, 18 Jan 2004
By A Customer
Well i dont think ive ever experienced a workout video like this one. Its very well choreographed, with basic aerobic steps combined with bolloywood and bhangra movements. Its an interesting workout, and it can get slightly frustrating trying to combine the movements together, but after a few go's at it the movements become easier and its alot more fun. The workout is good, and you work up a sweat, so great for burning off those calories and its probably better to do it with a couple of friends because it'll have you laughing when you try and grasp the movements.
A must for anyone who wants to work out using a fun technique and work up a sweat without noticing!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars fun and funky - a refreshing alternative to standard dance workouts, 28 Aug 2008
This is a fun DVD - to be fair the production values are cheap and there is some blurring on the faster moves, the soundrack is good but it has been pasted on afterwards and so a lot of the dance moves are on the off-beat instead of strictly in time - though this isn't actually too much of a problem when you know the moves.

Honey Kalaria is a friendly instructor and explains the moves well, and there are 2 seperate sections (bollywood and bhangra) for you to try, I would recommend this if you are looking for an alternative musical style workout, like a bit of lighthearted but effective working out, and are allergic to salsa dancing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bollywood workout, 11 May 2003
By A Customer
I like the approach to exercise in this video.The non-pressured, friendly instructions were light hearted and encouraging.The subtle upper body movements were carefully explained and possibly serve as a good anti- athritic routine for the older woman!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›