5.0 out of 5 stars Seth Cohen, 9 Jun 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: We Have the Facts and We're Voting Yes (Audio CD)
With the back catalogue of the mighty Death Cab soon to be plundered in the wake of their new found OC-sponsored success and soon to be released major label debut "Plans" it's time to let those coming late to the party know what to expect. If this sounds condescending, it's not meant to be, the Death Cab back catalogue is a wondrous thing to discover.
It's a sort of concept album this one. He meets a girl, they get along, she dumps him, he goes on a road tip, he finds out she's getting married, he makes a scene and moves to New York to pretend to be Lou Reed (or something). Obviously that's just one reading of it, but the songs stand up on their own too.
From the perfect perfect! pop of Title Track and For What Reason, to the lo-fi soundscapes of Lowell MA and Little Furry Bugs, from the Pavement-aping chorus of Company Calls to the achingly sad slo-core of No Joy in Mudville and through the colossal ending of Scientist Studies, the band play a wonderful tune, and guitarist and producer Chris Walla doesn't drop the ball once.
Plus, we get some of Ben Gibbard's finest words here and finest vocal melodies to boot. Of course, some of it's obtuse and confusing, but then he'll place a nugget of pure truth in there - "I tried my best to keep my distance from your dress but call-response overturns convictions every time." Or how about this - "You were the one, but I can't spit it out when the date's been set."
So buy and enjoy, American indie-rock doesn't get any better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic album from a criminally underrated band., 2 Jun 2004
Mr. C. J. Armistead (Preston, Lancashire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Have the Facts and We're Voting Yes (Audio CD)
This was my third purchase from the Death Cab for Cutie catalogue and, like the other two albums, it emphasises the exceptional talent for songwriting of Ben Gibbard and his faithful guitarist Chris Walla. Perhaps the least accessible album, it certainly rewards the listener with repeat listens. Stand out tracks are the live favourites Title Track and Company Calls (+ epilogue), and other slow-burners include the fantastically lo-fi '405' and the grand finale of 'Scientist Studies'. UK listeners also get an extra treat as Fierce Panda have released this '+3' version with tracks from the lesser known album 'You can play these songs with chords'.

5.0 out of 5 stars almost perfect, 20 Jan 2003
G (edinburgh uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Have the Facts and We're Voting Yes (Audio CD)
this, the first dcfc album ive bought has not dissapointed one bit. This cd contains some great melodies which are occasionaly heard through storm of distorted guitar, but always there.
The vocals of ben gibbard are clear, pleasant and thoughtful.
If 'pedro the lion's 'control' cd is a bit dark at times, then get this. If not, just get this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly 'understated', 22 Jan 2003
J. J. Bankier (Tokyo, Japan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Have the Facts and We're Voting Yes (Audio CD)
A brilliant record, both musically unique (no one else plays guitar like Chris Walla) and lyrically complex without being obtuse. Recommended for fans of Pavement ('Terror Twlight'). The bonus tracks are nice, but not really necessary, and do mean that if you listen to the record all the way through it finishes with a cover version ('Wait', by the Secret Stars, I think) rather than with a DCFC song. I usually stop it after Scientist Studies, then listen to the last three tracks separately!

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic album gets UK release, 21 Aug 2002
This review is from: We Have the Facts and We're Voting Yes (Audio CD)
You must own this CD. Absolute classic from Seattle's Death Cab For Cutie. Beautiful songs with a highly original delivery. Intelligent lyrics.
This UK release includes bonus tracks "Song for Kelly Huckaby" from the Forbidden Love EP and both tracks from the out of print "Prove My Hypothesis" single.

We Have the Facts and We're Voting Yes
We Have the Facts and We're Voting Yes by Death Cab for Cutie (Audio CD - 2002)