4.0 out of 5 stars A Fanatical Treat!
A wonderful collection of four Barbra Streisand films previously unreleased on DVD. My favourite has to be "What's Up Doc?" which, even after 30 years, remains a funny and refreshing couple of hours of entertainment as it did then; completely whacky, it's a bit like an American Carry On film.
"Nuts" shows Streisand's versatility as an actress, a powerful performance...
Published on 24 Aug. 2003 by boylyrical

2.0 out of 5 stars Weak script holes this film below the line
Published on 3 Sept. 2011 by Bismaquer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fanatical Treat!, 24 Aug. 2003
"Nuts" shows Streisand's versatility as an actress, a powerful performance by her and co-star Richard Dreyfuss.
"Up The Sandbox" is a strange film, that I admit to not really understanding - but it is funny in places.
"The Main Event" isn't a wonderful film, but for a Barbra Streisand fan like myself, it's still pretty damn excellent.
The collection is really for Barbra Streisand fanatics, but even if you don't like her that much you're bound to find one or two of the films highly entertaining. And for the price Amazon is asking - for FOUR DVD's - how could you go wrong?

4.0 out of 5 stars One great film, one good film, one okay film, one clunker, 20 May 2005
Androo (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
'What's Up Doc?' is a fabulous film, endlessly rewatchable, totally madcap, brilliantly scripted, cast, directed, you name it. A total success.
'Nuts' is highly watchable, if you like Barbra Streisand, has good support from Richard Dreyfuss, and... well, it's all a bit predictable and sentimental.
'Up the Sandbox' is a minor film that's like the curate's egg. I like the idea of the film, and Barbra's performance is unusually understated. But there are too many very long daydream sequences that are really quite tedious and unbalance the film. Not bad though, if you're a fan.
'The Main Event' is a tedious boxing movie starring a heavy-looking Ryan O'Neal and a Barbra desperately trying to move the leaden plot along. Very, very boring and badly done.
It's a nice set nonetheless, with some good extra features. Each film has a commentary by either Barbra or the director, and the commentary was recorded in 2003, so offers an interesting perspective. There's even a cute documentary about the making of 'Up the Sandbox'.
All in all, a good set, which I think many people will buy just to get 'What's Up Doc?' on DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars What's Up Doc?, 28 Mar. 2011
pacem et amorem (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I bought this boxset just for `What's Up Doc?' and haven't even watched the other three. My mum did watch `The Main Event' and thought it was alright but nothing compared to What's Up. I have to say that `What's Up Doc?' has been one of my favourite films since I was a kid - I love everything about it and watch it more frequently than any other film in my collection! Casting is superb and Madeline Kahn is a delight. `What's Up Doc?' is the only Streisand film I have ever enjoyed though I have watched `Hello Dolly' (entertaining enough) and a little bit of `Funny Girl'.
This boxset is well worth the money even if you only want it for one of the films. I've certainly got my money's worth as I watch `What's Up Doc?' about once a month! There is a quote from the film that I think sums up how I feel about how good it is ... "You can't fight a tidal wave." For me it is a tidal wave of humour!

2.0 out of 5 stars Weak script holes this film below the line, 3 Sept. 2011
This review is from: The Main Event [1979] (DVD)
Streisand and O'Neal (the latter surely one of the most unfulfilled talents in film history) struggle badly with a lame script and story. The film is just about watchable thanks to Streisand's screwball characterisation of the reluctant boxing manageress and O'Neal's sensitive depiction of the Rocky-esque underdog fighter. However it watches as a series of comic episodes rather than as a coherent whole. Further, in the second half of the film, the story, already straining credibility, takes a turn for the downright ridiculous. A waste of two great talents. I wouldn't spend any money on this one.

On the technical side, the DVD transfer is pretty good, with generally acceptable picture quality and mono sound.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed bag of Barbara Streisand films, 3 Jun. 2010
S. Yarwood (UK) - See all my reviews
To be honest I only wanted What's Up Doc which is a brilliant film. If What's New Pussycat had been part of this collection I would have said it was a fantastic collection, but it's not so it's not. It doesn't matter however as the price was so reasonable that it was still worth it just for What's UP Doc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting selection of films, 27 Feb. 2014
This box set arrived quickly and was in good condition.
This is an interesting,varied selection of films,the best being What's Up Doc?Up The Sandbox is an ambitious,unusual but slightly confusing fantasy drama.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best way to get What's Up Doc, 16 Sept. 2013
Rob W (Hertfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
What's Up Doc is one of my all time fave films and I thought it would be easy to source it on DVD. If you have reached this page then you will have had the same dilemma as me. I bought the box set purely for that film as it was the easiest and most economical way to get it on PAL DVD. The film is brilliant and still makes me laugh out loud and Barbra Streisand is gorgeous in it. Shame the rest of the films in the box set were some of her more obscure material. I may watch them some day. But, if you buy this just for WUD then you won't be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Barbra Striesland DVD collection, 11 Dec. 2010
What's Up Doc is the funniest movie I've ever seen. I saw it in the 70s when it first appeared and have watched it on TV whenever it was shown since then. I have always wanted my own copy so this collection was manna from heaven.
The other films could be absolute rubbish and it would still be worth every penny. There is no better sequence than a car chase involving a delivery bicycle, 3 very large cars, the hills of San Francisco and a extremely large sheet of plate glass; that makes What's Up Doc priceless

5.0 out of 5 stars Barbra Streisand Collection on DVD, 11 May 2011
It was worth buying the box set just for "What's Up Doc" which I've loved since I first saw it about 30 years ago. I remember "Nuts" being quite good when it first came out, especially Richard Dreyfuss, but to be honest I haven't watched any of the others yet. The dream box set would be What's Up Doc/Funny Girl/Hello Dolly/Yentl. In it's absence, this is great - but don't buy it unless you REALLY like Barbra.

4.0 out of 5 stars Present bought for grand-daughter, 19 Jan. 2010
C. J. Simon (Portsmouth ENGLAND) - See all my reviews
DVD bought as a present for my grand-daufgter as are all my DVDs and she has not complained yet

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›