X

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Album - Takes a few listens
After listening to the album about 10 times now, I think the Leps were wrong to go with the single Now. It's not as radio friendly as some others.
Published on 13 Aug. 2002 by K. Miles

3.0 out of 5 stars Not good enough!
Published on 17 Aug. 2006 by J. Dixon

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Album - Takes a few listens, 13 Aug. 2002
K. Miles "Kev M" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: X (Audio CD)
You've got to admit, the fan base want the overlayered harmonized hard rock that was introduced by 3 time producer (and 1 co-produced) Mutt Lange, but you've got to give the band credit for trying something different. It's not as different as Slang was from their unique sound, but it is slightly more mellow.
The following songs are to me, the standout tracks
and possible single contenders
- You're So Beautiful - a mid rocker with nice harmonies and vocal
- Long Long Way To Go - a ballad that is lyrically brilliant and musically chilling. The chorus has the traditional harmonies
- Four Letter Word - A grooving rocker - almost a rap but not quite! Traditional harmonied vocals for the chorus
- Love Don't Lie - another mid rocker with great distorted guitar effects
- Cry - a rocker of sort! You have to hear this to appreciate it's strangeness
- Let Me Be The One - another ballad acoustic and strings
- Scar - This has the wild guitars that I like - a good rock track that would not be out of place on Pyromania or Euphoria
This is a good album with a couple of duff tracks. I'm not sure if it will do comercially well, but it is artistically different and yet somehow the same. Harder next time please,.

4.0 out of 5 stars Modern sound, classic feel., 29 Aug. 2002
Dr Nick "Dr Nick" (Sheffield, S Yorks United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: X (Audio CD)
If you know what classic Leppard is like, let me say that this is probably the closest to that feel since Hysteria.
In fact, this probably should have been the follow-on album.
This time around the lads have gone for the "pop" angle again. The songs are concise, 3-4 minutes only per track. Good choruses, with the classic Leppard harmonies abound. And two tracks from outside the band, one from some of Britney's writers (Unbelievable), dunno who the others are but it's a good track(Long Long Way To Go, which is perhaps their best ballad since Love Bites!), and input from one of Aerosmith's collaborators, which still fits nicely onto the album. And there's the odd sample and loop, but well done and not too prominent. There are mid-tempo rockers, moody tunes, a couple of up-tempo numbers (4 Letter Word is my favourite, hints of Armageddon It), and to close, "Scar", written on the anniversary of Steve Clark's death, and it shows. This song is also the only one with a decent guitar solo, otherwise the boys are a bit too restrained for my liking (me guitarist, me like solos), which is partly why I only gave 4 stars. Having said that, Scar has perhaps the most interesting solo for years, certainly since White Lightning (Adrenalize) IMHO. The other thing missing is a mid-tempo "apache" beat song, last heard on Euphoria (Paper Sun, which is fantastic, although I think the solo could have been better - they made up for it live), and something nobody else does as well (Billy's Got A Gun, White Lightning, etc.).
The UK version has 2 extra tracks, Kiss The Day, which is an excellent mid-tempo song that goes nuts at the end (best guitarwork on the CD from both Phil and Viv), and an acoustic version of Long Long Way To Go, which is nice.
So all you guitarists, get the UK version! And hopefully Def Leppard will be back at the top of the charts (apparently "X" is in at #11 on the Billboard 100 in the USA).

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb collection of rock ballads, 19 Aug. 2002
This review is from: X (Audio CD)
It's about time that someone gave this album the full justice that it deserves. The tracks just keep on getting better and better. You'll be singing along to them the very first time that you listen to this. If you're a Leppard or Jovi fan, just buy it. You won't be dissapointed because the Leppard most definitely not lost its spots.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grows on you, 13 Aug. 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: X (Audio CD)
I was initially slightly disappointed by the more mellow sound of the album, compared to its predecessors. I was also disappointed by the lack of a stand-out single. However, after listening to it a couple more times, I think this album definitely grows on you. 'Unbelievable' and 'Long Long Way To Go' are definitely beginning to stand out now. Well, the album definitely sounds like classic Hyteria type Def Leppard, and Lep fans would certainly enjoy it. I think it would also appeal to any pop/rock fans.

4.0 out of 5 stars No Xpectations, 15 Sept. 2010
ratmonkey (Hardy Country) - See all my reviews
This review is from: X (Audio CD)
As another reviewer stated, this is not for the music mafia. It's not going to rattle cages or change the way we view music. This isn't musical evolution, it's more music sitting on a nice safe porch chair, sipping a beer. X is unabashed AOR cheese, unapologetic and stubbornly snubbing its far cooler peers. This may be staid, tried and tested and VERY American (which is strange, but not unheard of, for an English band) but it probably outsold its snotty-nosed successors by double. If you're not embarassed by cliched music, this is a very worthy album.

The first half is where the real songs are. The first 7 tracks are pure precious metal, varying in quality from bronze to gold however. The best tracks are 'Now', 'You're So Beautiful', 'Long, Long Way To Go'and 'Torn To Shreds'. 'Unbelievable', 'Everyday' and 'Four Letter Word' are all very good but are just that little bit less memorable.

The last 7 tracks are not as impressive. 'Love don't Lie' is a very boring, hookless vaccuum of a song, that really defies critique on the account of it being so vapid. The same can be said for 'Girl Like you' and 'Let Me Be The One' - the album would have been better without them. On the plus side of side B, 'Gravity', 'Cry' and 'Scar' are all pretty hummable and each have their own particular merits: rocky, weepy and moody successively. The bonus, 'Kiss the Day' is very uplifting and ends the album very well; it's almost anthemic. The acoustic version of 'Long, Long Way To Go' is not very exciting, it's far better with a few guitars and drums, especially as it is still quite a slow number with them.

Def Leppard fans will have this whether it's awful or not. If you like edgy music, you'll probably already know not to touch it. But if you are partial to bands like Journey and even more recent acts like Daughtry and the ilk, it stands up pretty well.

5.0 out of 5 stars X Marks The Spot, 16 July 2007
The Fault - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: X (Audio CD)
I'm too young to appreciate what Def Leppard used to be like but I'm old enough to know what constitutes a good album. The only other Def Leppard albums I own are Vault and Best Of, which are effectively the same album. With this in mind, X is the only proper studio album I own by Def Leppard so I can't compare it to their previous albums. But I can compare it to the hundreds of other albums in my collection and I will simply say that this album is excellent.

It's very inoffensive radio-friendly rock which might not be very edgy but prevails with some truly fantastic sing-along choruses. The vocals are particularly strong and having heard some of Def Leppard's older tracks on my compilations I think his voice has improved. My favourite track on the album has to be "Long Long Way To Go", a beautifully crafted ballad with emomotive lyrics that really hit the spot. Other highlights include "Everyday" (love the chorus) and "Now" (great opening track) but I love every track on this CD. I've owned this album since it's release in 2002 and after five years I still haven't grown bored of it.

One word: X-ellent!

5.0 out of 5 stars Xcellent, 10 Oct. 2002
J. Milner "jcmilner" (Hull, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: X (Audio CD)
I really expected this album to be rubbish. So much so, it was the first Def Leppard release since Hysteria that I didn't buy on the release date. I have to admit to being totally wrong because it's a fantastic album which I loved after only one listen. OK, so the Def Leppard sound has changed over the years and is vastly different from their hard rock days. However, that is the sign of a band accepting the challenge of a new era without heading up the loss of credibility street. The fact that these guys are now in their 40s doesn't make them irrelevant. Moreover, it makes them old enough to know their own limitations and what their fans expect of them. Quite simply, this is pop rock music that has no strings attached and just gets on with the job of entertaining the listener without requiring too much in the way of interpretation. If you want deep, meaningful words go elsewhere but if you want a happy sound with a few of the expected quota of ballads then look no further. Music snobs need not apply.
Back on form after a decade of searching.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not good enough!, 17 Aug. 2006
J. Dixon "MrBucket" (Castleford, West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: X (Audio CD)
I've been a fan of the leppard for many years now and feel compelled to buy every album they release. I bought this one and I have to admit I was disappointed this is not the hard rock we have come to know and love, but it seems they have gone down the pop/rock route which I don't like. I saw the lepps on the "X" tour and only playing 2 tracks from the album on that tour I think says a lot. There are a couple of tracks "Now" and "Long long way to go" which I quite like but the rest I just can't listen too. If you want to hear leppard at their best buy pyromania or hysteria and give this one a miss. I'm not being anti leppard I liked "Slang" which got some bad press but this for me is just "Bringin' on the heartbreak"

3.0 out of 5 stars Still Here - Still Good, 18 Aug. 2002
This review is from: X (Audio CD)
So Def Leppard's 10th album then - and it only took 23 years too! (Which, going by the rate it took them to make the first 5, is a pretty darned good rate!)
Unfortunately this album might well've done better had it been produced with the care and attention that Hysteria or Adrenalise was.
There's quite a lot that just wouldn't have made the cut for those two albums, and Elliott's vocals sound quite ragged in places - but there is also some really decent stuff on this album too (namely Scar and Love Don't Lie).
At the album's close one feels that Def Leppard can still entertain (which is more than I could've expected after Slang!) - but this album only really reminds me how great their heyday was.

4.0 out of 5 stars Trademark Def Lep Vocals with a great Rock Riff, 23 July 2002
M. Grove "mark5211" (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: X (Audio CD)
After hearing the new single from this CD, titled 'NOW' I was not expecting too much, but again like 1999's Euphoria this is another excellent Def Leppard Album, not as good as Hysteria, but these days if you like rock then you have to take what you can get and this is real good. The Album starts with 'Now' a typical Def Lep type track, unfortunately Id does not go anywhere for me and think that the second track 'Unbelievable' would be the best choice for a single release, it is definately the stand out track on this CD,this is typical Def Lep at their very best, with great lead vocals and trademark Def lep background vocals, other good tracks include Torn to Shreds,the excellent Four Letter Word and Love Dont Die, other tracks are good but mainly fillers, the official release copy includes two extra tracks too, If your a Def leppard fan you will not be disapointed with this... buy it now!

X
X by Def Leppard (Audio CD - 2002)