5.0 out of 5 stars Classic band release one of the best albums of 2003
2003 . . .it's already shaping up to be an awesome year for metal, and Anthrax have "come for us all" with this, their ninth album in a 19 year career. An album packed full of top quality heavy and thrash metal, "We've Come For You All" shows that it is more than possible to put out superb albums after so long.
After the album's intro, "What Doesn't Die" gets the...
Published on 9 Sep 2003 by Luke Redpath

3.0 out of 5 stars Different but good...
Published on 22 Mar 2003 by James Morgan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic band release one of the best albums of 2003, 9 Sep 2003
This review is from: We've Come for You All (Audio CD)
After the album's intro, "What Doesn't Die" gets the album off to a thrash-tastic start, which a track that is Thrash Metal in typical old-school Anthrax style. Big riffage layered with some fantastic double bass drumming and John Bush's great vocals combine to make a song that grabs you by the balls, slaps you about the face and says: "THIS IS THE NEW ANTHRAX ALBUM. NOW SHUT UP AND JUST LISTEN!".
Anthrax have no pretensions - if you know Anthrax you'll already know this; this album isn't a flowing, progressive masterpiece, or anything of a suitably arty nature, it's an old-school band and an old-school style album in the truest sense - a collection of excellent, kick-arse songs. There is little need to run off a superfluous detailed track-by-track rundown. Everybody will have their own favourites after listening to "We've Come For You All"; but the important thing is the album doesn't let up on quality, and with some variety the album never gets boring (*ahem* 'One Kill Wonder' anybody?).
Along with the opening track, "Think About An End" and "Anyplace But Here" provide the expected thrashers. "Superhero" has a cool heavy groove, and "Cadillac Rock Box" is just funky. With it's heavy riffing and tight blastbeats, "Black Dahlia" is by far the heaviest song on the album. Changing the pace some what, "Safe Home" and "Taking The Music Back" are highly melodic, perhaps crossing into AOR territory a little. The catchy, anthemic choruses must surely make these potential live favourites.
The musicianship throughout is tight, but particular mention must be made to the drumming which is awesome throughout, especially on "Nobody Knows Anything" with it's complex patterns and cross-rhythms.
"We've Come For You All" is an album Anthrax can be proud of; a huge middle finger to anybody who wants to dismiss the band as "no longer relevant". If you are a young rock/metal fan and have never got the chance to hear Anthrax before - pick this up. If you are a long-time fan, why are you reading this? You should be out buying it already. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Contender for Metal Album of the Year, 9 Nov 2003
Andrew Jeffries (Evesham, Worcestershire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We've Come for You All (Audio CD)
I'll admit I am an Anthrax fan already. And I was eagerly awaiting this album and I was not disapointed when it was released. For me this album has it all. It's heavy and easy to listen to at the same time. It is a high point of metal music for 2003. I fully expected Iron Maiden to blow it away with their new album Dance of Death. But 'We've Come For You All' is in my opinion the sound of 2003.
I don't know a person that's heard Safe Home that doesn't like it. And I'm talking about both versions as well.
Cadilac Rock Box is probably my fave track on the album. The Boys of Anthrax combining with Dimebag Darell yet again. An excellent combination that never fails.
Black Dahilia is a track that really suprised me. Sounds a lot like Slayer and I would love to hear this track live.
This album doesn't miss a beat and I suggest anyone bored with metal music today go out and buy it if you haven't already.

5.0 out of 5 stars 19 years later, their 9th is Anthrax' best album, 2 Mar 2003
"We've Come For You All" arrives in the coolest fold-out CD packaging I've ever seen, with a modern twist on the classic Anthrax album cover. The music is fantastic! Better than "Volume 8: The Threat Is Real" but somewhere along the lines of the fantastic "The Sound of White Noise" - this is harder, more metal, less produced, and more melodic. This is Anthrax at their all-time best.
This album is fantastic! "Superhero" is on a par with anything 'Thrax have ever done, and "Safe Home" (Anthrax' first love song, according to Scott Ian) is a contender for best ever. "Cadillac Rock Box" is just... funky. "Refuse To Be Denied" has a point to make about patriotism being used as a weapon.
It's 19 years since the first Anthrax album, and this one, their ninth, is their best yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Anthrax - one under-rated band, 28 Feb 2003
Anthrax - what springs to mind? Well, post 9/11, only the hardiest of metal fans would count the veteran NY band amongst their initial responses. That, in itself, is both apt and a shame; apt in that, lyrically, a lot of We've Come For You All is based on the thoughts and emotions to have come out of the terrorist attacks on the US and the subsequent war on terror. However, it is also a shame that Anthrax have made such fine albums in the past ten years (Sound of White Noise, Stomp 442, Volume 8) which have been totally overlooked in the face of indifferent support from their then record labels. All of which makes this album, and their relative return to popularity, such a triumph.
It kicks off in deceptive style - Contact is a short, soft instrumental which in no way prepares you for the monumental riffs and typically gruff vocals that have been the 'Thrax trademark since John Bush joined the band. Jumping on bandwagons has never been their style and they are not about to start now - if you've been together for over 20 years, why should you? There are no nods towards nu-metal (thank Christ) and every track manages to combine both a ferocious intensity with melody. Had Safe Home been recorded by, dare I say, a more 'packaged' band, we would be talking about a rock/metal anthem for years to come...
Still, that should not cloud your enjoyment of what is a superb record. As they say, Anthrax have changed by staying the same - true to their beliefs and musical sensibilities. I wonder if we can be saying the same about Linkin Park and their ilk in 2013...

5.0 out of 5 stars How metal should be, 6 Oct 2005
G. Lewis "mgjjl" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: We've Come for You All (Audio CD)
From start to finish its just great! I've loved all of the John Bush era albums, with Stomp 442 being the best...until now. This album seems somewhat more mature, which is odd for a band who have been around almost as long as I have. Charlie Benante is a brilliant drummer and his double-bass drum work really makes this album. Its nice to see proper metal re-emerging after the Nu-metal phase.
The inlay card is nicely illustrated and there's plenty to read there while you are listening to the CD. It does annoy me when bands release albums and don't put any thought into the inlay card!!
If you liked Stomp and Volume 8 you'll love this.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best album of the (John) Bush era., 25 Feb 2003
By A Customer
The consistently under-rated Anthrax, though beset by record contract setbacks, are still knocking out great albums (although less often than Id like). "We've Come for You All" provides the perfect mix of Anthrax's strengths - from the heavy riffs of "What Doesnt Die" and "Superhero" to the melodic sounds of "Safe Home", all topped off with a good pinch of tongue in cheek humour on "Cadillac Rock Box". Underpinning this are Scott Ian's sledgehammer guitar work and Charlie Benante's blistering drumming. (Charlie has always been one of the best but I think he's been practising - check out "Nobody Knows Anything"). Add to this John Bush's unique powerful/melodic voice and you have a damned fine album that should not be shamefully overlooked like the last two. Anthrax never went anywhere, but if you havent thaken the trouble look for them in a while, this is a good place to start paying your penance.

3.0 out of 5 stars Different but good..., 22 Mar 2003
This review is from: We've Come for You All (Audio CD)
Anthrax have changed their sound. If you compare this album to, say, Among the Living, you might think that this is a different band. Yes, there is thrash metal here but it's not what you might expect and/or want. This album has gone in for a slower sound, distorting heavily and although it's good, in my view it can't compare to the old sound (perhaps I'm just living in the past). The songs get a bit repetitive, this may not be a bad thing - each song does have it's distinctive points but they do fade in to a collective sound. Don't get me wrong, I do like this album and I think it has good points but I'd like to see a revival of the old style (again, I'm probably being too fixated on the past). Distinctive songs for me are Strap It On and Cadillac Rock Box.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Album Rocks!!, 17 Aug 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: We've Come for You All (Audio CD)
This has to be one of the best Anthrax albums. Your hit with Anthrax at their best. With 'Safe Home' and 'Any Place But Here' the album just blows you away. It is pure rock at it's best. The guitar riffs are amazing with kickass solo's. Listening to the 'Safe Home Acoustic' you realise that the guitarists have more talent than there given credit for. The vocals take it to a new level and the drumming is fantasic. Having lost support over recent years, THIS is the album to bring it back. You'll want to keep listening to it.
This album is a must for any hard rock fan. Anthrax haven't just come back, they've come back with style!

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm Bored at work and was just wondering if anyone ever reads this?, 31 Jan 2008
This review is from: We've Come for You All (Audio CD)
I've been listening to this album again recently. I bought it in 2003 when it was first released and fell in love with it immediately. It probably hasn't been played much over the last 2 years, but it's been promoted back to the ipod and given me an instant recollection of why i love it so much.

There is a tinge of sadness to this album though, because it's the last original to include John Bush. The man's vocals hit perfectly halfway between aggression and melody. I guess you could say that about the album too. Some of it makes you wanna beat the crap out of something (What Doesn't Die), some of it brings tears to your eyes (Safehome), some of it can make you get out of bed in the morning when nothing else can (Cadillac Rock Box). For me, this is one of Anthrax's top three albums, and just for the record, i like their 80's output just as much as i like everything they DID with John Bush.

Did?? You see. That's the problem. He's no longer the Anthrax singer anymore. I think that's an absolute travesty. I like all the guys in Anthrax, they seem really grounded and funny, and they've made kick ass music for 25 years. But John Bush gave them another dimension and really added emotion that was probably lacking on their Belladonna releases which were; Heavy? Yes. Good? Of course. But emotional? No.

Thrash has been around for a while now, and people talk a lot these days of 'Classic lineups'. I guess most people consider 'Among the Living' as the Anthrax classic. I offer an alternative viewpoint, the lineup on this album is the best, and because the chemistry is so great between the guys, the music goes from good, to great. When 5 musicians can play as exceptional as Anthrax, the music goes from great, to exceptional.

If you have this album already, most of you will know what i'm talking about. If you don't, have a listen and join me in mourning the loss of John Bush from Anthrax. I hear he is doing voiceover commercials for Burger King now. John, please reincarnate to your rightful place. Front of the stage with Anthrax.

4.0 out of 5 stars We've Come For You All, 27 Mar 2003
This review is from: We've Come for You All (Audio CD)
The latest offering from one of metal's finest bands of the 80's and 90's is well worth a listen. Fresh and relevant with superb riffs boardering on Pantera in a couple of songs to styles from some of their earlier works, Anthrax show how hard rock should be done. You wont find an annoying rapper or decks on this album and that can only be a good thing. John Bush's vocals are awsome as usual on this record and his presence has given them a much needed heavier edge on this and their last three albums. So if you thought Anthrax were just some old band trying to stay afloat, think again and check out not only this album, but also Volume 8 the threat is real and Stomp 442. You wont be disappointed, particularly if you like 90's style metal.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

We've Come for You All
We've Come for You All by Anthrax (Audio CD - 2003)