5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime
I waited for ages for this album to come out, it arrived this morning in the post and I put it in my walkman, at first I thought...hmmmm and...aah, the second listen made more sense. By the 3rd listen I loved it.
Published on 15 Aug 2002 by Lord Percival Lesmond Bovis III

3.0 out of 5 stars Mellow out with Brad...
I'm sure the rest of the members of Brad find it irritating that their band is oft described as "Stone Gossard's side project", and whilst the sum of their parts makes it much more than that, you have to wonder if Brad would receive the same amount of coverage without their famed guitarist in the ranks.
Of course, anyone familiar with Brad's previous work will know...
Published on 12 Mar 2003 by I. Bullen

3.0 out of 5 stars Mellow out with Brad..., 12 Mar 2003
I. Bullen (Wigan, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Welcome to Discovery Park (Audio CD)
Of course, anyone familiar with Brad's previous work will know that the key selling point of the music is actually the wonderfully warm vocals of Shawn Smith. Debut album 'Shame' introduced us to this rare talent and anyone who hasn't heard 'Screen' or '20th Century' from that album have missed out.
The new album sustains that warmth of feeling; this is an album for late at night when you're ready to relax and wind down after a long day. 'Brothers and Sisters' opens up as the album means to go on, all mellow instrumentation and Smith's voice as soulful as anything in "rock". The mood is maintained in the catchy 'Shinin'' and the titles elsewhere give away the trend: 'Never Let Each Other Down', 'If You Could Make It Good' and 'Takin' It Easy'. They definitely are 'Takin' It Easy'!
'Welcome To Discovery Park' lacks the darkness of previous outings (and in particular, 'Shame') and for me, fails to reach the peaks of the other albums. That doesn't mean to say it isn't a good album. It is, but you'll need to be in the right mood to enjoy it. And anyone on the lookout for Pearl Jam rockers - you're in the wrong place.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, 15 Aug 2002
This review is from: Welcome to Discovery Park (Audio CD)
There are a couple of rockers a la Secret Girl (off Interiors LP)but mainly this album is a much more mellow affair, somewhere between Shawn Smith's solo work and a lost Satchel album. The songs are beautifully atmospheric and full of the usual positive messages about love and friendships. Shawn's voice is sounding better than ever and Mike Berg has brought some of the Satchel sound into Brad, which can only be a good thing.
Some people have said this is closer to Shame than Interiors, I would say it's neither of the above. It's the kind of record you could put on and chill out to with a friend or girlfriend.
Beautifully played, sung and written.
Lovely heart-warming stuff, long live Brad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy It Now, 13 Aug 2002
This review is from: Welcome to Discovery Park (Audio CD)
If you've never heard Brad before then it's not too surprising.The band usually seem to release their records with as little promotion as possible.This Seattle supergroup always manage to surpass anything released by the band members full time bands.Now these aren't just ordinary run of the mill, ten a penny rock bands,we're talking Pearl Jam,Pigeonhed,Malfunkshun here,true innovators of the grunge scene.
Brad have returned from a five year hiatus and have delivered an album to be proud of.Welcome to Discovery Park finds the band in a generally chilled mood,less funky but more graceful than their 1993 debut,Shame and less of a rocker than 97's Interiors,the band seem to have hit the middle ground.This is no bad thing.The voice of Shawn Smith sounds as soulful as ever and he remains one of the very few male vocalists whose voice I would describe as beautiful.Musically they've broken into the big G's pad and captured melodies and hooklines that Jesus would've killed for.The harmonies on Couch T-bone set Brad off in a Belle and Sebastian/Beach Boys kinda vibe which works a treat.Revolution is the big riffed rocker track which wouldn't sound out of place on one of Pearl Jam's records(it actually sounds a bit like Spin the Black Circle)but as Stone Gossard is in the band I'll let them off with it.
This album didn't cause major excitement when I first listened to it but I tend to find that growers turn out to be some of my favourite albums in the end.If you're someone who likes to find new music or if you are a fan of Brads earlier work then, buy this album now.If you don't you'll be sorry in the end.

3.0 out of 5 stars Brad Back at last ! .....but worth the wait?, 8 Jan 2003
Sebbo (Hackney, London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Welcome to Discovery Park (Audio CD)
There's nothing compared to putting on a Brad CD, especially when recommending them to other people. They've got a style that's just their own; great lyrics, vocalist, musicians and the ability to put across a range of emotions and types of songs. However.....
Don't get me wrong I'm a big fan of Brad, and whilst I can see where the other reviewers are coming from, I think this album is a bit disappointing. It's mellower than the others and I'm cool with that, it's just that the quality of songwriting is not as good as before. I think that's down to the similiarity of the songs to each other and the use of well worn chord sequences, guitar sounds, tempo etc., used either by others or Brad themselves. Hence only after repeated plays do you start to remember the songs. That's OK for a few songs but I don't think you're going to be as attached to them years after a first hearing like you are with the first two albums. I think the album would have been better if they'd cut some of the weaker songs. They could have made a more compact, cool album.
Anyway that said, it's a Brad album, so Brad fans will probably buy it to enjoy the better tracks. However it's not the album I'd play to non-fans or recommend them buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as interiors but still buy it., 27 Mar 2014
This review is from: Welcome to Discovery Park (Audio CD)
Not as good as Interiors but all the same there are some beautifully crafted songs.

quite frankly anything shawn smith is a part of is usually superb.

5.0 out of 5 stars Aged perfectly!, 5 April 2013
The reissue sounds as great as the original - this has aged perfectly and it is one of my favourites!

4.0 out of 5 stars Revisit Discovery Park, 2 Oct 2003
As I sit on the train, with my headphones on at a volume loud enough to annoy the rest of my carriage, but not loud enough to cause them to actually complain to me, I wonder what opinion of my musical taste they are judging from the music dulcet sounds coming from my ears. It's when you hear songs like 'Shinin'', which is screaming out for a boyband cover (meant in the nicest possible way!) alongside the funk of 'Drop It Down' and the rock of 'Revolution', that you thank God for side projects!
Side projects generally fall into two categories - Over-ambitious.., and ambitious works of genius. Personally I believe Brad to fall into the latter category.
Forget the fact that Pearl Jam's Stone Gossard is on guitar, because the star of the show here, is undoubtedly Shawn Smith. A highly and underrated artist, he provides the sound which make Brad so refreshing and brilliant.
On songs like 'If You Could Make It Good' and my personal favourite, 'Never Let Each Other Down', the delicate sound of a soft piano alongside Shawn's high pitched beautiful voice is a winning combination. Also, they do their funk / soul combo pretty damn well, not so present on this album compared to previous ones, with only 'Drop It Down' showing some seriously funky moments.
There's only one thing that pisses me off about Brad, and they seem to be the songs where Stone Gossard is in charge. As much as I LOVE Pearl Jam, songs like 'Revolution' and the single 'La, La, La' ruin this album in my opinion. It could have been a classic, but I cannot understand how 'Revolution' made the final cut. Only in a side-project, I guess. It's comical to hear Stone Gossard struggling on drums, from the first listen to this song, I instantly despised it.
This album doesn't have quite the effect on me that 'Interiors' did, but still a great album and a well recommended purchase, whether you like Pearl Jam or not!

4.0 out of 5 stars Revisit Discovery Park, 15 Oct 2002

1.0 out of 5 stars AVOID!!!!, 19 April 2004
Being a big fan of Shawn Smith/Brad/Pearl Jam, I was really looking forward to Brad's third outing.
'Interiors' was a fantastic second album and the third should only be better.
How wrong I was.
This is a messy, sub-demo standard pile of rubbish. True, the second song, 'Shinin' is quite good, but lacks the atmosphere of previous Brad albums.
There are about three good songs on this poor attempt at music, the eloquence and style that Shawn Smith and co created on earlier albums has vanished.
Muddy and confused. Shawn's vocals are pretty weak throughout too.
'Revolution' is an appalling track, how the hell it made it onto the album is anybody's guess, I dread to imagine the quality of the songs that didn't make it.
Thing is, if you're a Brad fan you'll buy this anyway, I would because I wouldn't want to belive that these people could screw up in such a huge way.
They have. This should never have been released, ever.

Welcome to Discovery Park
Welcome to Discovery Park by Brad (Audio CD - 2003)