5.0 out of 5 stars Best driving game on PS2
The realistic sensation of speed in this game is amazing. I've played Colin Mcrae 3 which I found to a fine game. But WRC 2 is far superior. It just feels so gritty and playable. Whereas MCrae 3 is like driving on rails.
Everything in WRC2 is so polished. The graphics are detailed and fluid, the sound is heart pounding and the presentation is clear.
But is...
Published on 2 Dec 2002

1.0 out of 5 stars This game causes frustration
I bought this game after considering Colin McRae Rally, and have been really disappointed with it. Sure it is full of all the latest cars, drivers and circuits, but content doesn't help make up for terrible gameplay.
Published on 5 Jan 2003

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Best driving game on PS2, 2 Dec 2002
This review is from: World Rally Championship II Extreme (Video Game)
But is it the best driving game on PS2? Play Gran Tourismo 3 (the rally section or the road races) for half an hour. Then play WRC2. Then you will be in no doubt. GT3 is slow and chugging compared to the wonderful WRC2.

5.0 out of 5 stars WRC2 Extreme-ly good, 27 Nov 2002
This review is from: World Rally Championship II Extreme (Video Game)
For those of you who don't know WRC2 Extreme is THE definitve Rally game. It contains all the teams, cars and drivers and all 14 countries over which the World Rally Championship is fought. From the off I was amazed at the detail - the cars look fantastic and the drivers are very well modelled. As a real rally fan I was amazed at the level of detail the cockpits and drivers are modelled at. The next thing to hit me was the size of the game - the views from the mountain tops are breath-taking, seconded only to the thrill of racing down the mountain at 100+mph. The driving model is a massive improvement on the original WRC game, with the car having a real feel of weight about it. All in all if you have a Playstation 2 and like driving you must get this game.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gritty, but is it a game ?, 30 Dec 2002
This review is from: World Rally Championship II Extreme (Video Game)
I spent Christmas playing this head-to-head with Colin McRae 3. Of the two, it's the best looking, the grittiest, possibly the most accurate sim, but it's not the one I kept going back to.
In some ways it's too hard, but this isn't a _challenging_ difficulty, just an irritating one. You can't hear the pace notes for the car noise, and you can barely hold the wheel (I used a Driving Force) for the vibration. This isn't using the force feedback for feedback though, it's just a continual rumbling. Even a well-driven stage gives barely a better time than a hooligan one, because you simply can't feed improved skill through the limitations. It's like handicapping drivers by making them drive with gloves on - sure, it makes it "harder", and real rally driving is hard, but that's not the way to make a good game.
Damage modelling doesn't, and the much-touted facial expressions are worthless (my co-driver would need an animated sickbag). I did like the crowd noises and the hooting though.
An excellent sim, but if you're looking for enjoyment, then go with CM3.

1.0 out of 5 stars This game causes frustration, 5 Jan 2003
This review is from: World Rally Championship II Extreme (Video Game)
First shock - the steering does not react in an analogue way, push the anaolgue stick slightly left, and the steering turns all the way left. You might just as well use the digital left/right buttons - no way do you have the steering control wich GT3 offered.
As for playing the game, the graphics are good, but they are not setting any new standards. The cars don't handle very well, and don't feel very realistic. If you touch the crash barriers by side of the road, well in normal life, you'll scrape against them and continue. In this game, hit them any harder than a slight brush, and the game's AI takes over. Your car gets stopped, spun round 90 degrees to leave you facing the barrier. You have to reverse, and then steer back into the track. This gets rather irritating and fustrating, not helped by the poor handling and realism of the cars.
The pace notes aren't very good, the arrows appear in clusters, rather than progressively. The sound effects of the engine noise are terrible. If you are thinking of buying this game, I'd recommend you rent a copy first to draw your own conclusions. You might like it, but I'm selling my copy as after the realism of GT3 over a year ago, this product is a disappointment.

2.0 out of 5 stars WRC II Extreme, 15 Jan 2003
Daniel Coulson "Dtm_Cool" (Oxford) - See all my reviews
This review is from: World Rally Championship II Extreme (Video Game)
I'm glad my wife persauded me to rent WRC II and CM3 together before I bought them.....my conclusions....
WRC II Looks stunning plays terrible....most annoyingly...the back end of the car seems to be glued to the road...I could not get the car to slide affectively atall and usually ended up with my nose planted in the middle of every hairpin bend!! Also like others here...every time you touch the barrier the car spins round and faces the other way....totally unrealistic. The co-driver sounds like the speaking clock!!
Buy CM3 its way nicer to play!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Enjoyable., 16 Nov 2006
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: World Rally Championship II Extreme (Video Game)
I really enjoyed this game. I thought the Graphics were very good, landscaping and sound effects were excellent. I particulary enjoyed the Time Trials sections. I would agree with othere reviewers in that the car will turn completely around if you even graze the side fencing. Having said that you will get a good few hours entertainment from this game.

3.0 out of 5 stars Will GT3 ever be surpased, 8 Jan 2003
This review is from: World Rally Championship II Extreme (Video Game)
I recently received WRCII for Christmas and have had a chance to compare it with GT3, the original WRC and CMR3. Whilst WRC II looks fantastic and the 3d rendering of the tracks is impressive, I have found the physics engine does not compare with GT3. The car handling in WRC II is to sticky and it seems almost impossible to do a sustained slide. In the rally section of GT3 if you push to hard you spin out as you would expect in a powerful rally car on a loose surface. This does not happen in either WRC titles. The diffence coming from gravel to tarmac in tahiti maze in GT3 shows how good the physics engine is. In WRC II the different surfaces do not seem to matter. At this stage I must admit that I actually perfer the original WRC in terms of handling and even then is was so arcady compared to GT3 that I played it only for something different. I rented CMR3 and found this to be pretty good, better than WRC original and WRC II. I know other reviews have said it is easier, but I found the handling to be more similar to GT3 ie: more realistic. Another point is that I have played all these games with the driving force feed back wheel. The way this wheel works with GT3 is so much better than the other games. The throttle is perfectly calibrated and you can drift the car by fethering the peddle, whilst the feed back is fantastic. You can feel when traction is slipping, understeer etc.In WRC 1 and 2 the throttle is either on or off and the feed back is pathetic. (Note when I got WRC 1 it didn't even work in manual until Sony replaced it with a new disk) I have spent heaps of time on these games and fully completed WRC 1 and I am long way through GT3 so I have a bit to compare. WRC 11 had the potential to be the best rally game ever with the sound and graphics but the handling is such that I just hate playing it. I get the impression that the whole title has had heaps of effort on making it look good without trying to provide a realstic rally simulation. I remember in an interview that I read on the original WRC that Sony told Evolution Studios to detune the physics engine as it made the game to hard for the average player. I think that is a serious under estimation of what driving fans want and the success and cult status of GT3 is a testament to that. I guees we might find out as they have the licence for 5 years and this is only their 2nd go. Still if the creators of GT3 ever bring out a dedicated rally title I will happily throw all the others in the bin!

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks beautiful, but still work to be done, 1 Jan 2003
CJ (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: World Rally Championship II Extreme (Video Game)
Having never played the original WRC, but hearing a lot of good things about the sequel, I snapped it up. My last rally experience was V-Rally 3, and although I did love it after getting to grips with the tricky controls, I grew to hate V-Rally 3 due to the ridiculous damage modelling and insane difficulty.
I'm pleased to say that WRC II trounces V-Rally 3 in many respects. The graphics are superb (although the framerate seems to suffer in replays) and the damage modelling a little more believable. Bumpers are not hanging off after one bend, and it takes a fair impact to see damage. Drive straight into a tree and satisfyingly the windscreen breaks and the bonnet flaps up and down.
However, as mentioned elsewhere here, the effect of this damge on the actual handling of your car is not that strong, which takes a lot of the edge away from the sport. Pace notes are ineffective and I found myself anticipating more than trusting my co-driver.
The actual driving I found to be quite satisfying. The cars do maybe have a little too much grip but otherwise I found them smooth and good to drive. I find driving with a wheel on PS2 difficult, so I've only played with a pad, but it works fine.
There's the usual full Championship, plus time trials and you can create your own rallies. Not a comprehensive package, and it's a real shame that the WRC team didn't take the opportunity to show other rally games how a proper career mode could be done.
This is a good, solid game but not a huge leap over other titles.

5.0 out of 5 stars WRC 2 EXTREME, 31 Dec 2002
This review is from: World Rally Championship II Extreme (Video Game)
After hearing the hype about this game I was very wary about buying it, especially as I was happy with Colin McRae 3 at the time. However after putting it in and switching it on I have to say that the game pretty much lives up to it.
There are plenty of different games to choose from - a full championship, a quick race with a random car over a random track, a time trial (where you choose the car and track), an on-line challange where you can compare your times with other people, a two-player split-screen, a multiplayer, and a make-your-own rally or championship.
Graphically the game is astounding. The scenery is beyond beautiful and smoothly-rendered, with individual trees being visible on the mountainside in the distance, and the quality of the brickwork on the houses as you speed past. This becomes even more apparent on the replays where one of the shots is an overhead follow-cam from a chasing helicopter - it tracks your car close up for a while, then zooms right out to show a vast vally or mountain-scape and your car is a tiny dot twisting and turning up the sides. Truly breathtaking!
The sounds are good, with each car's engine being slightly different. A nice effect is the horns that sound when you fly past a group of spectators. The music that plays on replays and on the main menu are good and fit in with the game.
Playability - this is a tricky one. I found McRae 3 to be a bit too 'arcadey' for my liking (too easy to control) so when I played WRC 2 I just could not control the car at all. This nearly caused me to send it back! Fortunately I stuck with it and found that once you get used to it, the controls are actually intuitive without being TOO realistic and simulation-style.
There are only seven different cars to choose from (obviously one from each WRC team), but you can also choose your driver (and his co-driver). The faces of each driver are surprisingly accurate to their real-life counterparts. However you can unlock six 'extreme' cars by completing various stages of the game (these are a bit of a let down as they are just six of the initial cars with more power and a more aggressive bodykit).
The real variety comes in the form of the stages. There are no fewer than FOURTEEN beautifully-rendered countries, each being different to the other in terrain, surface, weather conditions, and so on. And each country has NINE different stages, albeit some are reversed versions of the same tracks - although on-track you would not be able to tell!
The detail is also pretty amazing, with flocks of birds darting out of your way as you pass over a crest, or the shafts of light that your car throws on the sides of buildings up in the hills of Greece on a night stage.
One important part of rallying (whether gaming or the real thing) is definitely the co-driver and the quality of his calls. From reviews I have read, WRC 2's co-driver has been pretty much slated. I disagree with this entirely, as you will find your co-driver making the same quality calls as either Colin McRae 2 or 3. The only difference is that a '6' in McRae means a fast corner, while in WRC it means a tight corner - although you soon get used to this (the hard way!)
Overall this is an excellent rally game - better in graphics than the excellent Colin McRae 3 and better in playability than the (sometimes infuriating) V-Rally 3.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Rally Sim. And Cheap!, 26 Sep 2003
The graphics in this game are top notch. Some of the lighting effects are superb (eg driving into the sun). And the landscapes are fantastic.
Driveability is great too, you really feel part of the game. The vibrating hand controller adds to the effect. The sound too is excellent. And load times between stages are very reasonable compared to previous PS2 rally games I've played.
There are only 2 modes - beginner and advanced. Beginner is very easy, with no damage, and an ability to save after every race. Advanced is more interesting - damage is switched on, you drive 2 races between saves (so you have a vested interest in being consistent), and you get to see more tracks.
Given this is now a cheap platinum game, this is great value for money.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›