5.0 out of 5 stars I Can't Stop Playing It!, 19 Aug 2013
Mr Alastair Bowie (Southwell, Notts United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wagner: Orchestral Music (Audio CD)
Goodness me! I only ordered this last week (as a replacement for a thoroughly disappointing Zubin Mehta CD) and played it right through yesterday afternoon, all 150 minutes of it. I even missed the Chelsea match on the TV - and aren't I glad I did! I was doing the washing and preparing tea, but kept having to stop because I was so overwhelmed by the beauty, the power and the drama that went into these interpretations. Not once did I feel I was listening to an extract played as a concert show piece; every single piece (Siegfried Idyll apart) was performed as if it were extracted from a full performance, which is why I say there was such drama.

And Siegfried Idyll! Breathtakingly beautiful. This is real "lump in the throat" playing.

Beecham might be my favourite conductor. Sibelius is without doubt my favourite composer. But this has to be my favourite CD set and I urge everyone to share in it!

5.0 out of 5 stars PEERLESS PERFORMANCE., 7 May 2013
This review is from: Wagner: Orchestral Music (Audio CD)
Just a brilliant recording when you consider the dates of some of the tracks,but time does not diminish a great Orchestra and a great Conductor,faultless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superlative, 22 Nov 2012
J. Whitehead (Basingstoke, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wagner: Orchestral Music (Audio CD)
Highly recommend this interpretation of Wagner's classics. The C D is a permanent fixture in my car. Wouldn't dream of a long trip without it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Wagner, 23 Jun 2013
I love opera but do not really like Wagner on stage. Most are too long, and life is too short; and, philistine that I am, it has always seemed to me that, in Wagner, singers perform one thing, the orchestra something else. (I know I've just caused an awful lot of people to roll their eyes, at the very least. Wagner has one quality it shares with Marmite.) However, the so-called "bleeding chunks" ripped from Wagner are another matter. Love' em. Apparently when Hitler invaded Belgium in 1940, loudspeaker vans drove around the streets of Brussels blasting out the Tannhauser overture to demoralise the population. The first time I heard the Tannhauser overture, on the radio, as a teenager, I fell in love with it - and, was briefly concerned that this might be a sign of extreme right-wing tendencies. The Klemperer discs here are marvellous and, at the price, a steal. Sound, performances, everything: wonderful. And, don't worry; you are most probably not a Nazi!

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly great recording, 26 Nov 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Wagner: Orchestral Music (Audio CD)
Klemperer is mastery in creating drama and emotional intensity, passionate, noble and superbly played

Wagner: Orchestral Music
Wagner: Orchestral Music by Richard Wagner (Audio CD - 2002)